Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

581 - 591 of 591 Posts

·
Premium Member
1983 380 SL
3,032 Posts
Thanks.

I'm hoping to take it to NY in a few weeks. I still need to check the cooling system to make sure it doesn't overheat with the condenser now in front of the radiator and the added load from AC. That trip should be a good test of it.
Call me when you get here... burgers and beer await.

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
10,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #585
Crash and burn today with the windshield washer. I had a very slight leak yesterday at the level sensor. Put silicone on it and today it was line Niagara falls. Went to test the system to see if it at least worked. No could just be a blown fuse or the WW pump I got out of "Ebola", a car that looked like it was fished from the Marianas Trench. Then I went to open the hood and it was stuck hooked on to the cap for the WW filler. I actually checked to make sure that wouldn't happen on the other car, but different cars have different tolerances. Nothing impossible to fix but about another $100 to 200 in parts and welding and another weekend or so. The only thing I'm most concerned with is the leak, I may have to look into an alternative sensor that goes into the top if I can find one the right size that uses a small hole. The one I have now is from a 2004 Acura. It plugs in from the bottom and obviously making a clean round hole is key. I just ordered some chassis punches which should be able to make a clean hole in plastic. But for the moment this will be on the back burner until after the AC back together and the shop is returned back to some sense of normal.
New reservoir came in today successfully drilled it with a chassis punch. Made a nice round perfectly sized hole. No leaks at all. Monday the new pump should be in.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #586
Pump came in early. All is installed and working well except I need to replace the driver side nozzles.

I had to install a smaller filler cap to clear the hood.

But now its done.

So what next?

The last system that is not working of the original 560SL is cruise control. I think I will be looking into this next.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1983 380 SL
3,032 Posts
Pump came in early. All is installed and working well except I need to replace the driver side nozzles.

I had to install a smaller filler cap to clear the hood.

But now its done.

So what next?

The last system that is not working of the original 560SL is cruise control. I think I will be looking into this next.
Why? The only time cruise control is of significant value is on long trips on highways were there are few other cars. That's about never.

·
Premium Member
10,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #588
Why? The only time cruise control is of significant value is on long trips on highways were there are few other cars. That's about never.
I never use cruise control. But I have to hook it up for the same reason people climb mt Everest.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,540 Posts
I wish I had cruise on a few of my epic adventures. Mind you....I might have fallen asleep through the prairies.

·
Premium Member
10,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #590
Cruise control is of no value on LI.

581 - 591 of 591 Posts