Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

There's a new one coming

106K views 1K replies 52 participants last post by  roncallo 
#1 ·
Just cleaned up a truck load full of parts that I got for my latest project.

The man cave is now up and running and its time to finish Samson and get started on a new project.

The plan is to build components that will refine Samson to a factory like build while making completely new revised 3D models for future fabrication. Alot needs to be done and in the process I believe Samson will be repainted.

First on the list is to address the limited slip differential. Then
Speedometer
AC
Windshield washers
Cold air intakes

All parts will be fabricated in two's. One set for Samson One for a future project.

stay tuned.

Attachments

See less See more
#38 ·
First part of the subframe plate completed today. Video shows the plate being squared off to obtain accurate ans square datum's.

Now waiting on a 16mm tap to come in to install inserts

Attachments

#42 ·
Its been a while. Iv'e been working overtime and weekends. I have to pay for this somehow.

My differential pinion setting tool needed a bit of rework as the shaft was just too loose. So I had it bushed with Bronze and now there is literally no play. Still waiting for a dial indicator to come in to use this. I ordered one on E-bay but it was DOA.

The subframe measuring tool is complete at least as a measuring tool and I measured up three subframes found all three had at least one dimension out of tolerance. I still need to do some work on this to hold the subframe for machining. Main reason I need this tool is to measure the effect of welding.

Over the next few weeks I hope to get the machining adapters fabricated for the subframe.

One of the subframes had some bone yard damage see lower subframe mount photo. This diddent help my measurements much.

I'm going to shift gears a little bit on the differential. Instead to changing gears to 2.65 which I know will work I am going to try the 2.82 differential first with 51 tooth wheel speed sensors and maybe with a trans control modual from another MB with a 2.82 gear set. Both of these are crap shoots as to weather or not they will work. The 51 tooth gear instead of the 48 tooth gear is not an exact ratio difference to go from a 2.65 to 2.82 gear set but its within 0.2%. If it works I may even try the 2.47 gear set with a 45 tooth wheel that one is withing 0.6% error. But if any of these options work they will open up the ability to change gearsets with the 722.6 5 speed transmission and OE control system. This could all be a $700 education to find out what does or doesn't work.

Attachments

#43 ·
So whats been going on besides me spending money. Currently the grand total of all my development work is now at $5000. without a single part made. But that is about to change. My drive shaft went out to be shortened this week and I'm hoping he will ship this week although it is Thanksgiving week so??. I just sent out an order for 3 sets of speed sensor rings. I am taking a gamble here the different tooth count is for different rear end gear ratios. Currently I have a 2.65 rear end and using a 48 tooth wheel. I would like to try a 51 tooth wheel for the 2.82 gears I have and a 45 tooth wheel for the 2.47 gears that are native to the 560SL. Problem is the 2.47/2.65 is not an exact integer its more like I need 45.5 teeth. 2.82/2.65 is a'lot closer so it has a better chance of working. I ordered all three sets because it really brings the price down. The only thing I do know is that a 2.46 gear with 48 tooth wheel does not work. It would be nice to know if I could get different ratios with this.

So when the wheel speed wheels and drive shaft come in I will be ready to try my first set of experiments. That will be alot of work. Try to gear ratios which will required R&R of 2 diffs one of which I don't have yet and then the final overhaul of the third diff with the ratio I want and the limited slip pack installed.

You know when I was younger I wanted higher numerical gear ratios now I believe I want to go back to the 2.47's and cruise down the road with the 12 cylinders just lumbering along at about 1800 RPM.

Attachments

#46 ·
Please forgive me if you no longer have a need, but, I read that you might want one or two 126 differential units that are not common here? I have a very early 126 280S gray market car I bought for parts in 2002ish, and I'm willing to check out the differential and see if it is what you are looking for. It's been laying around for years and I don't see what use I will have for it.

#48 ·
Wheel speed sensor tone rings came in this week. I got 45, 48 and 51 tooth sets. That will cover the 2.65 ratio and hopefully the 2.47 and 2.82.

Cut down drive shaft is due in any day now. Then to change the diff I will need a new set of drive shaft flex joints from a 129 and a set of wheel speed sensor mounts which are still being designed right now.

This stuff is really expensive so I have been told to slow down a bit. So what I can do for the moment is work on the designs while I cant purchase anything.

Attachments

#49 ·
Progress

Moving slow because funds are low.

Still waiting for my drive shaft to come in. While I cant do anything physically I have been working on the tooling designs.

Attached are pictures of a collet assembly in both assembled and exploded views. The collet will be used to support a 6" diameter tube so I can turn it on the lathe to make the wheel speed sensor mounts.

The next fixture is an assembly jig hold the parts in place during tack welding and machining.

This is probably the most complex tool I making.

Still alot of work to do on these tools and the subframe tool. Hope to get the designs complete before going back to work Tuesday.

Attachments

#50 ·
All I can figure out is that a lot of impressive engineering is going on. BUT, I have no idea what the final product is going to be. I can fantasize something like a manual transmission or another engine transplant though :)

#58 ·
Well parts are now in production. The big fixture I paid through the nose for $544. The smaller collet was more reasonable $160. Going to take about 2 weeks for the large job and possibly 2 month for the collet. The company quoted 35 days not including Chinese spring 20 days???. I'm hoping hes done before spring.

#59 ·
If you are trying to invent a better toilet, we all are going to be deeply disappointed :smile

#64 ·
We need to create a Poll "What the hell is Roncallo doing?" :)

#65 ·
Parts have come in

Also just ordered the rubber parts to hold the differential in $460 ca ching.

Two of those little rubber washers that hold the diff to the sub frame are $80 each. The other two are $30 each and the main rubber at the rear of the subframe is $190. and the rest of the rubber and hardware. MB rubber is expensive and I was thinking about going URO but then I remember a friend of mine who used cheep rubbers. Then he had a busted rubber and his life would never bee the same.

OK so now its about time I get off my ass and start doing the stuff I could have been doing while I was waiting for all this. Time to clean and powder coat the rear subframe. Then I will be ready to perform the rear end transplant.

Attachments

#67 ·
Made some chips today

A few parts to support a sub frame during machining. They a rough cut to length and will be shortened when I receive my center supports.

So far with all this work I have one complete part. The drive shaft. But don't worry it will end up like Fords Willow Run plant.

Attachments

#68 ·
Machines are now all cleaned up and oiled. Ready for the next batch of parts to come in from China.

Next thing on the agenda is to finish the sub frame tool. 4 mounts that mount the subframe to the plate at the Lower control arm mounts will be coming in from China. With those installed and mounted with silicone I will be able to drill them in place. Then finalize the length of the tubes I made this week. At which point I will build a create for the tool and put it away while I work on the differential and wheel speed sensors.

Attachments

#69 ·
You going to run out of space in that garage.