Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

341 - 360 of 381 Posts

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
9,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #341
I did a little more extensive testing on a modified version of the wheels today. It turns out that the wheel will drive the speedometer flawlessly at least up to 45MPH (as fast as my lath turns) with either a Hall effect sensor with or without the previously described circuit in place or with a VRS sensor. I was very surprised that it worked well with the VRS sensor. In fact it worked so well, I m now leaning back to the VRS sensor. I don't know why the wheel with the wide slot was so sensitive to the presence of the mounting bolts and this one is not. All testing done today was with mounting bolts present. I'm not out of the woods yet. I have to test this above 100MPH. Plan is to install it in the car. Remove the rear wheels and run it to at last 120MPH.

First picture shows testing with VRS sensor in place. Not close proximity of mounting bolt. This pissed it off with the old wheel.
Second picture shows a clean trace with the VRS sensor and mounting bolts.
Third picture shows a clean trace with the hall effect sensor in place
Forth picture shows testing with the hall effect sensor.
Fifth pictures show the output of the VRS sensor as well as the Hall Effect sensor with and without signal conditioning. Looking like signal conditioning may be redundant for the hall effect sensor. All of those signals will drive the speedometer.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #342
Axles are back and reassembled. Everything that needs to be painted is painted and drying. Latter today when my back recovers I will start to take Samson apart once again to install the new speed sensor and the 2.82 LSD differential. Hopefully test drive tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #344
Last week I finished up the axle rebuild. I found the new inner CV to be quite stiff to deal with. They come bone dry from Mercedes. A spare set of differential axle flanges really helps out with this. They have the same spline as the axles. See the first picture. The CV's are very tight from the factory and while they come off very easy, I came to the conclusion that installing them was the final spline broaching operation. See pic 2.

FYI instead of purchasing the Mercedes special tool to clamp the CV boot clamps, a standard PEX crimping tool does the job perfectly. See pic 3 and 4.

Note to self when clamping your boots keep the crimp area away from the bolt holes or you wont be able to get the bolts in as shown in the 5th picture. I actually did this on both axles and had to discard the clamps, fortunately I had spares. You would thing by pure probability the chances of getting two clamps lined up with the holes would be remote. Does that mean I shold buy a lottery ticket or stay home in bed.

So back to this week. The reason I couldn't complete the job last week was because my sensor mount would not fit correctly. So today I fabded a new one along with an installation alignment tool. I had to make this one adjustable so I could set it and weld it in place after it was aligned. I also had to an extended clamping nut because there was just not enough room for a 19mm head. Extended nut is shown painted in the last picture. Its the higher part in the picture.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #346
Testing commenced today with the 2.82 LSD diff. No difference in performance due to lack of traction. Conclusion is that the car performs the same with the 2.47, 2.65 and 2.82 ratios. A good driver might be better able to take advantage of the 2.82, but that's not me. It desperately needs wider tires. Widest tire I have seen in Fonzis thread is a 275. Has anyone done a 300?

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,221 Posts
Testing commenced today with the 2.82 LSD diff. No difference in performance due to lack of traction. Conclusion is that the car performs the same with the 2.47, 2.65 and 2.82 ratios. A good driver might be better able to take advantage of the 2.82, but that's not me. It desperately needs wider tires. Widest tire I have seen in Fonzis thread is a 275. Has anyone done a 300?
Can you do slicks? Are you allowed?

·
Premium Member
9,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #348

·
Premium Member
9,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #349
Work bench clean ready for next project. Samson will be getting AC next. This will be a long project so maybe a few in between developments.

·
Premium Member
9,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #352
Well I'm back from Long Island and the in-laws just departed for Ireland. So I'm officially back at it. Did some test fitting of the condenser today. I wasn't as lucky as I had hoped but nothing too bad. It looks like the fan will hit the front bumper support. Not by much so its its correctable by putting a small scallop behind the bumper support, which should not be too much trouble with the engine out but may require welding with mirrors with it in.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #354
Details of all parts have now been completed for condenser mounting. Now waiting on material and an end mill for fabrication of parts

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #355
Today was spent evaluating and designing a new AC compressor manifold to allow lines to be routed with the V12 installed. The pictures show a design that mimics the original oem used on the SL600 129 followed by a modified design that I'm hoping will work in the 107. Unfortunately making this requires a CNC milling machine which I don't have, but I hope to get access to one soon.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #356
The compressor line set will be fun. I will need to figure out how to make this or find someone else that can. I don't even know if this will fit yet. Its my first guess. I will need to remove the subframe to remove the compressor to try some mockup units.

Attachments

·
Registered
'79 450SL, '04 CLK200 convertible; former A124, W210, A209.
1,389 Posts
Good to see this topic updated Roncallo, following your epic journey with interest!

·
Premium Member
1983 380 SL
2,494 Posts
The compressor line set will be fun. I will need to figure out how to make this or find someone else that can. I don't even know if this will fit yet. Its my first guess. I will need to remove the subframe to remove the compressor to try some mockup units.
Will you be sending these things to China to be fabricated or will you fabricate them yourself?

·
Premium Member
9,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #359
Will you be sending these things to China to be fabricated or will you fabricate them yourself?
Its unlikely this will be sourced to china. If the bends are as close as shown then it will require specialized 1 off tooling that I will have to make myself. Very hard to tell until I get a final design.

·
Premium Member
9,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #360
I finally got some time to work on my project. I finished up the condenser mounting. It also appears that I have 3/16" of clearance on the fan. Its closer than I would like but I think it will be fine. I still need to check if the lower condenser mounts will fit on Samson. If not I may have to offset them further forward, which may make the fan hit. I did have to modify the cross bracing slightly because the lower center bolt would have hit the fan. It was an easy solution, just bend the lower tabs forward, drill a hole and nut and bolt it. The fan is just laying in place now so the rest of the weekend will be fabrication of the fan mounts. But so far I am very pleased, hose routing seams doable and I have room for the Receiver dryer.

Attachments

341 - 360 of 381 Posts