Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

321 - 340 of 340 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #321
The Chinese are hard at work.

I would just love to hear them talk as they are making notes on these drawings.

I don't know what any of this says. For all I know it could be profanities about Americans.

But it looks cool.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #323
Drive shaft tunnel plate removed for chassis modifications. As part of the ongoing exhaust system refurbish.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #324
OK see this message for this weeks updates.

·
Premium Member
9,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #325
Mock up floor mods are in place. Next step is to install seats and get verify the new floor does not interfere with the seat function. I can see that I will need to find better ways to make the cut outs so they will be tighter against the new floor section. I would like to avoid patch work welding.
IMG_20190831_155236162[1].jpg

·
Premium Member
9,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #326
Seat is installed and clears everything by a mile. Now I only removed the driver seat from Samson and put it in Ebola. Ebola is the name my wife gave to this carcass I'm playing with. I got very sick when I first got it, and my wife thinks its carrying something. She might be right.

Tomorrow I will but the seat back into Samson. Most of today was spent designing a tool to better cut the tunnel. It puts a cut off wheel on rails. I was able to find a set of linear bearing rails on E-bay for $25.00. Still more work to do with that. I have two more cuts that need to be put on rails to make things perfect.

·
Premium Member
907 Posts
Thank goodness for that. Your wife must be a very patient person... LOL. Not one, Not two, but three of the cash sucking bastards. Not to mention the Chinese machine shops you are supporting....

·
Premium Member
9,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #330
Thank goodness for that. Your wife must be a very patient person... LOL. Not one, Not two, but three of the cash sucking bastards. Not to mention the Chinese machine shops you are supporting....
Funny thing is Ebola is probably the only one that will make money.

·
Premium Member
9,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #331
Cut off wheel on rails is just about done. Ned to find a helper to help me install it so I can mark off the mo
Wiz Wheel on Rails.jpg
unting holes.

·
Premium Member
9,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #332
The cutoff wheel on rails is installed. Not cutting very well but I believe that is due to my no name wheels. I'm going to order some thinner wheels from Mcmaster tonight. Cuts a nice straight line but so far taking forever.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #336
So the speedometer wheels are coming in, hopefully I can put that job to a close. I will also be sending out my spare axles to have the outer CV's refurbished. I was able to purchase new inner CV joints from MB for $37.50 each. That's a no brainier. With those in hand I will be able to install the long awaited 2.82 ratio Limited Slip differential.

So in the mean time I have started putting my eye on the AC. Looks like it may not be as hard as I thought, (famous last words), but it will be expensive and I expect funds to hold things up. After AC or during any funding holdups I will also work on the wind shield washers. With AC and window washers complete Samson will have the look and feel of a production Mercedes.

There will still be two minor things to do and 1 nice to have.

Minor things. 1) Complete evaporative emissions. 2) Replace tandem pump used on SL 600 with a single pump for PS only.

Nice to have - Cold air intakes.

With all that complete Samson will be essentially done with development. At that point the complete power train comes out and the car goes out for paint.

While Samson is out for painting, Samson's subframe will be borrowed and installed into Ebola and tested to see if the M113 engine will just fit in or what modifications would need to be done. With that information in hand the mods will be made to one of those new subframes I was working with at the beginning of this thread and the M113 as well as the M120 will be fit into Ebola. Hope to have all that complete by the time Samson comes back from paint.

Then Samson goes back together as a pristine and fully functional V12 107. But will I have the balls to put the M113 into Delilah?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #337
Please note these instructions are only applicable to 1986 to 1989 model years 107's and I'm not sure about the 300SL. It is also applicable to most V8 MB's after 1985.

While the axle's are out, I took the opportunity to disassemble and overhaul the inner CV joints. Not that I believe this is a good idea, because I was able to get new ones direct from MBOEMParts.com for $37.50 each using the Benzworld2017 free ship promotion code. But I do believe these parts will be NLA very soon and that may be the reason they are so cheep. So I took a look and long and behold 1 set I have is really really good shape and the second set I have is reasonable shape, enough for me to rebuild, and save.

First 3 pictures show the new CV joint in the box, out of the box and boot part numbers. 4th picture show the amount of wear on om worst CV. You can see the wear but you cant feel it, its good to go. 5th picture shows the only spall I found of 4 CV joints. Technically this part should be replaced but it will still probably do another 50,000 miles as long as it is not installed on a car with a V12. 6th picture shows normal wear on the cages. All cages have signs of wear. Again, can see it bu can feel it. Also look for cracks in this part. These ones were all good.

Picture number 7 shows the picture I took of the CV before pulling it apart . Not sure is the parts are fully symmetrical and can be installed either way so I did not take any chances. There were some subtle differences shown in figure 7. Not a new CV does not have any serrations. The serrations get formed the first time the CV is torqued down. On these CV there was a smaller champher on the cage edge that faces toward the differential flange as well slight differences on the faces of the spider.

On the new CV the only difference I can see is that one side has an "E" on it, and the internal splines on the center start just below the surface see the second picture. If anyone that speaks German can tell be what an "E" might mean I would appreciate it.

The last picture shows the method I used to pop off each of the caps. I just walk around it tapping it off with a screw driver and hammer. You will need to hit it reasonable hard since its not bolted down.

So for today these have just been dis assembled and de-greased. I ordered redline
CV-2 grease. When it comes in I will do a more through cleaning and full packing and reassembly.

Hopefully I will have my speedometer wheel in this week and my axles back next week. That would be a good time to put the 2.82 diff in and hopefully get a good 1/4 mile run in at Rockingham.

Attachments

·
Registered
926 Posts
@roncallo This is the second thread of yours that I read end to end and enjoyed every singe post - it's clear to me you're not an engineer but rather a magician as the stuff you do is pure magic! Brilliant stuff, thanks for taking the time to document and share your journey - top class!!

·
Premium Member
9,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #339
Well the speedometer hall effect wheels have arrived . I had them hold the heat treat and powder coat on 2 pieces, so I can try some modifications. I will be trying them out on the lathe first.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #340
Today the two non heat treated pieces were modified to be mountable using the original flex disk nuts. I'm expecting this system to be a more suitable solution for the hall effect sensor but its already been proven not to work with the VRS sensor. I still need to drill out the threads and pocket the holes for the nuts. If this is successful, I will also do it to the heat treated ones, that should be fun..

Attachments

321 - 340 of 340 Posts