Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 340 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just cleaned up a truck load full of parts that I got for my latest project.

The man cave is now up and running and its time to finish Samson and get started on a new project.

The plan is to build components that will refine Samson to a factory like build while making completely new revised 3D models for future fabrication. Alot needs to be done and in the process I believe Samson will be repainted.

First on the list is to address the limited slip differential. Then
Speedometer
AC
Windshield washers
Cold air intakes

All parts will be fabricated in two's. One set for Samson One for a future project.

stay tuned.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
It'll certainly be interesting to see where this goes. Refining and finishing Samson seems ambitious enough, but one can't help but be curious about this second set of fabricated parts for a "future project".

Is that future project the one referred to in the title as the "new one coming"? Keeping secrets?? :smile

·
Premium Member
9,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I haven't been sitting on my ass with this but this took a long time. First time I did 3D modeling with surfaces. This was a real PIA. Trying to get the model to develop a formed plate that would unfold flat was just something I haven't done before.

Well after about 3 weekend here is the top plate required to install onto the 107 subframe.

Also shown is a picture of the one from Samson.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,616 Posts
I wish I had your fabrication skills, determination, and facilities. Curious, what are you up to ???

·
Premium Member
9,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This weeks work involved getting the drive shaft ready to ship. Front drive shaft needs to be shortened ~ 3/4" to allow room for the 722.6 5 speed transmission. So one drive shaft has been fully disassembled ready to ship. You can see my related post on Diveshaft Overhaul.

While that's going on I will be preparing a differential to be installed with the required 2.65 gears and limited slip. That will require some time as I will need to make tools to do the job.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,616 Posts
John, who is on your operating table? Delilah? Or a new patient?

·
Outstanding Contributor
21,823 Posts
My guess...
Since it's no fun looking at a carcass, an he's learned last time around that the fabrication is the majority of the work, not the installation, he will find the recipient vehicle later. I think he is prepping all the critical parts first I think.

This weeks work involved getting the drive shaft ready to ship. Front drive shaft needs to be shortened ~ 3/4" to allow room for the 722.6 5 speed transmission. So one drive shaft has been fully disassembled ready to ship. You can see my related post on Diveshaft Overhaul.

While that's going on I will be preparing a differential to be installed with the required 2.65 gears and limited slip. That will require some time as I will need to make tools to do the job.
What vehicles can provide a 2.65 limited slip differential? I think maybe a 1980 450sl has a 2.65, but I don't know how to find one with a limited slip.

Or are you making a 2.65 into a limited slip somehow? Is that where the mention of making tools comes from?

Speaking of differentials... Are you building this one with the earlier subframe? Or a Gen2? I've been looking at the possibility of putting a gen2 LSD (with whole gen2 subframe) into one of my Gen1 cars, and it looks like only the diff mount could be an issue. Maybe there's more that I'm unaware of.

·
Premium Member
9,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All these parts will eventually end up in Samson. But everything that needs to be cut and modified I have two of. I also have an M113 engine and 766.6 trans. so who knows. Maybe it will go into your car.

·
Premium Member
9,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My guess...
Since it's no fun looking at a carcass, an he's learned last time around that the fabrication is the majority of the work, not the installation, he will find the recipient vehicle later. I think he is prepping all the critical parts first I think.
Pretty much about right. I'm building productionized versions of these parts. These parts will be build able from a print. One set will be installed onto Samson for evaluation. The other set might be on your car?

What vehicles can provide a 2.65 limited slip differential? I think maybe a 1980 450sl has a 2.65, but I don't know how to find one with a limited slip.

Or are you making a 2.65 into a limited slip somehow? Is that where the mention of making tools comes from?
There are no easy solutions for this.

Option 1 - Find a 126 diff from a European 126 with the 2.65 gear ratio. extremely rare. I found one in Au but $500 to ship.

Option 2 - Purchase the following: US spec 126 or 107 diff for the case and hopefully good clutches, US spec 124 or early 129 diff for the 2.65 gearset. US spec 126 350SDL diff for the limited slip carrier. Put it all together to make the standard 126 Euro 2.65 Franken diff. This could be doable for < $1000.

Option 3 Sames as option 2 but replace the 350SDL purchase with a Quaife or Wavetrac carrier. this build will be over $2000.

Speaking of differentials... Are you building this one with the earlier subframe? Or a Gen2? I've been looking at the possibility of putting a gen2 LSD (with whole gen2 subframe) into one of my Gen1 cars, and it looks like only the diff mount could be an issue. Maybe there's more that I'm unaware of.
I'm building only gen 2. If your differential chassis mount looks like the one pictured then my bet is the gen2 rear will fit into the gen1 cars. But I cannot deny or confirm.

Attachments

·
Outstanding Contributor
21,823 Posts
I just crawled under my 1985 280sl and it does not seem to have the extra set of bolt holes. It looks like the center holes for a gen2 rail, like you show there are used in either case. That's helpful information which is very nice to know without crawling under a rusty parts car in a filthy warehouse floor (where I have access to two 560sl cars). Thank you! ;)

The nice thing to know here is... in case you decide to use a gen1 donor, you'd probably only need to drill two holes and cut a center hole for the recess. No precise measurements are required since it looks like the center holes are used in either case.

I think instead of weld nuts, there is a bar of tapped metal stock that the diff mount bolts screw into. So hopefully it wouldn't be too hard to side one of these bars over into position.

That's all moot if you go with a Gen2 chassis.

OT: I think the same may apply to w126 gen1 and gen2 cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
John. had you thought about going tubular on the front end instead of using those massive
stamped pieces Benz used. Could save a ton of weight.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
John. had you thought about going tubular on the front end instead of using those massive
stamped pieces Benz used. Could save a ton of weight.
I have considered it. Wouldent save much weight because the 107 subframe doesent weigh much. I belive its like 25 Lb.

It would be a clean sheet of paper design taking many engineering hours.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I have considered it. Wouldent save much weight because the 107 subframe doesent weigh much. I belive its like 25 Lb.

It would be a clean sheet of paper design taking many engineering hours.
I was taking into account the weight of the upper and lower control arms and replacing the coil springs with coil-overs (which could be adjustable).

Definitely see your point about time factor though.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was taking into account the weight of the upper and lower control arms and replacing the coil springs with coil-overs (which could be adjustable).

Definitely see your point about time factor though.
There was a person working on Mustang II subframes. That makes about the most practical sense. Especially with all the MII aftermarket parts available.

·
Premium Member
9,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This weekends work was designing a pinion depth measuring tool. There are tools already available off the shelf for about $500 that I believe will do the job for the MB with little or no modification. But I'm expecting I will get this tool fabricated and delivered for under $300 and I know it will work. So this tool is out for quotes as we speak and I wont see it for at least 1 month. The attached video show's a universal tool and describe the pinion depth setup procedure. Any machinist out there that want to quote on making this tool are welcome to do so if you feel you can hold the tolerances.

I haven't heard from my drive shaft guy so that is still waiting to be shipped. In any case I will be working on subframe tooling next. The subframe tooling will be a fixture to hold the subframe precisely in place on the milling machine for precise machining and measuring.

Attachments

·
Outstanding Contributor
21,823 Posts
I was reading throughout this some of your earlier posts. I remember that m113 in your garage. Are you planning on putting an m113 together with a manual transmission this time around? Or will only time tell?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,342 Posts
I owned a precision sheet metal fabrication facility including modest machine shop capabilities and I fear that under $300 bucks to fabricate 1 of anything is probably not realistic. Setup costs alone would exceed $300 and I assume heat treating would be involved after machining, else the resultant parts would not hold tolerance very long (easily marred if dropped or bumped) . If you can get those parts fabricated to the specified tolerances (which I assume to be tenths if you wish to measure accurately to .010") and heat treated for under $300 you will be getting a fantastic deal. I hope it works out for you. :smile

·
Premium Member
9,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I owned a precision sheet metal fabrication facility including modest machine shop capabilities and I fear that under $300 bucks to fabricate 1 of anything is probably not realistic. Setup costs alone would exceed $300 and I assume heat treating would be involved after machining, else the resultant parts would not hold tolerance very long (easily marred if dropped or bumped) . If you can get those parts fabricated to the specified tolerances (which I assume to be tenths if you wish to measure accurately to .010") and heat treated for under $300 you will be getting a fantastic deal. I hope it works out for you. :smile
Well that is all true especially on Long Island. I'm expecting the best quotes to come from China. The attached picture are timing wheels I had made in China for $230 delivered. Which also included a $50 bank wire transfer fee and shipping. Best quote I got on these wheels from the states was $750.

A few months ago I had parts from an antique fire gong made. They included 6 details and a total of about 85 parts $331 delivered. This time the guy accepted PayPal so no bank fees.

Heat treating is not required for these parts. If it were I would be very hesitant about sending to China.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 340 Posts