Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Just had radio, tomtom, mobile and bunch of other stuff stolen from my Vito on our driveway - in broad daylight.

Worrying thing is - this has the Thatcham alarm upgrade. We know the doors were locked. Nothing was heard, no damage to locks.

How the hell did this happen??? can these keys be cloned? Police say there's been a spate of mystery theft recently - all brands of vehicle gotten into with no damage.

Anyone know anything?

·
Registered
V220 CDI 2003
848 Posts
Hi,

Just had radio, tomtom, mobile and bunch of other stuff stolen from my Vito on our driveway - in broad daylight.

Worrying thing is - this has the Thatcham alarm upgrade. We know the doors were locked. Nothing was heard, no damage to locks.

How the hell did this happen??? can these keys be cloned? Police say there's been a spate of mystery theft recently - all brands of vehicle gotten into with no damage.

Anyone know anything?
Ahh man feel for you .... Sorry to hear that mate. I suppose as theres no damage is a little comfort, as it could have cost a bit to repair.

I would also like to know how this is possible, didn't alarm go off all? is it possible someone has a spare remote fob for your vehicle?

Have you got all 3 of your keys/remote fobs?

SARGE

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hi,

Anyone know anything?
Has your vito got a remote control that unlocks the doors? If so i'd guess that someone has sussed that the remotes only work at a certain frequency & hacked into yours. Just like i can pick up free WiFi on my phone cos people dont lock their home network. Enterprising lot thieves, just google speedo recalibration & see how many people can "recalibrate" your speedo to whatever mileage you want.
If you do carry anything valuable in the back, those external door locks are worth their weight in gold. Sorry to hear about your loss but thanks for the heads up.

Ugly

·
Registered
Vito 112 CDi year:2001
303 Posts
Ugly, been looking for additional locks for the 638 side and tail gates. Have you got any fitted? , if so what make, where fitted and how much.

At the moment I've only got armaplates plates fitted over the handles. I've seen one side door lock on a 639 where the substantial key cylinder is slap bang in the middle of the sliding door. Haven't a clue what make of lock this was, or what was on the inside.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the comments. I only remember being given 2 sets of keys, but I trust the dealer.

Now the insurance company is saying that nothing was covered by my policy. So I've been robbed twice it would seem.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Insurance!

Makes you wanna stop in traffic rather quickly so you get a shunt! Claim for whip lash and damaged just make sure whos behind you isnt a judge ! :D my pop got 4500 whiplash! plus cost of new van lol insurance lol cant wait for the next typhoon so they have to dig deep! All insurance is a con! oh for a free world and who invented money! Any way enough of my ranting i hope you win the lottery this week to get a return! Remember universal justice goes around comes around or you could find a crook and give im a kicking what the heck!

·
Registered
Vito 120
81 Posts
Ugly, been looking for additional locks for the 638 side and tail gates. Have you got any fitted? , if so what make, where fitted and how much.

At the moment I've only got armaplates plates fitted over the handles. I've seen one side door lock on a 639 where the substantial key cylinder is slap bang in the middle of the sliding door. Haven't a clue what make of lock this was, or what was on the inside.
I have these fitted to mine. Cost just under £600 for five fitted I think.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi sorry to hear ,

I had a locksmith open mine recently , he just levered the top of the door and lifted my keys out but he said he could of pulled the inside door catch quite easily. I did think how easy it would be to just press the door release on the dash with a length of dowel.

Pablo

·
Registered
Vito 112 CDi year:2001
303 Posts
Just bought a set of garrison slam locks for the side and rear. Just needed 3 for ~£200 as I've got a bulkhead fitted. Will post later how easy they were to fit.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi sorry to hear ,

I had a locksmith open mine recently , he just levered the top of the door and lifted my keys out but he said he could of pulled the inside door catch quite easily. I did think how easy it would be to just press the door release on the dash with a length of dowel.

Pablo
I suspected it might be something like this. Is yours a 2005+ model?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts