Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
W210
13,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found an 81 300cd and an 85 300cd-t. They are both a little ways away and I have been talking to both owners. Both cars seem nice but I won't know until I see them. Both cars have tranny problems, how strange is that!?!

The 1981 has 150K miles and supposedly excellent engine. The tranny just won't do anything and it stays there. His mechanic told him that he has to get a new tranny.

The 1985 has 93K miles, also with excellent engine but the tranny slips real bad.

I have a friend who has a manual 1978 240D but his engine is dead and his car has pretty much been parted out but he still has his manual tranny.

My questions is:
If I end up buying either the 81 or the 85, will that manual tranny mount onto the engine? I think it would be pretty cool to have a manual transmission on a 300cd even though it won't be an original thing but I am not buying for an investment, just to enjoy until I get sick of it. I won't really care if it may not be worth much.

So:
1. Can the 78 manual tranny be attached to the 81cd?
2. Can the 78 manual tranny be attached to the 85 cd-t?

And could I keep the same rear end? I really thing a manual 300cd would be awesome. They should have made it.

I would like to have the 85 and fit the manual tranny onto that. I did see a post on a Euro 300D manual and wonder if the tranny is the same as the 240 tranny.

·
Registered
W210
13,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Better yet, is it still possible to import a used 300cd from Germany? I am sure converting it to US specs would be much cheaper now then it used to be. I may be traveling that way at the end of the year and was wondering why not go shopping for a very nice 300cd-t? The manual climate control would be a plus. I wonder if a manual coupe was made there. The prices over there seem to be much lower than here but would probably come to almost the same after the lights, bumpers, and exhaust are changed over once it gets to the port here and the duty shouldn't be much for a used car either especially for a 20+ years. Anyone know where I can get some info regarding this stuff?

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
The 300CD was a purely North American spec model only. There were no European spec 300CD's offered.

I cannot answer about the transmission compatibility, others should know.

·
Registered
1985 380SE
1,939 Posts
Don't even think about importing from Germany (or Europe in general). It takes forever and it's a difficult process.

·
Registered
1982 240d, 2007 e350
2,071 Posts
I'm not sure what the exact figures are, but remember that Europe in general have high taxes and duties so I'm sure it's going to be an expensive process.

·
Registered
1983 240d AT1993 e320 AT
2,270 Posts
Since you are already located stateside, why not get a local 300CD (better if CDT) then explore the feasibility of adapting an M/T on the car. That way, it's easier and "logical"

Good Luck!

O

·
0 Posts
Manual conversions are common and the process is well documented. My own has been running for 3 years.

The transmission is identical, the flywheel is about 10lbs light but it will work fine as-is, the flywheel has to be balanced to match the new engine, the driveshaft and shift linkage must be shortened 4" and clutch pedal assy installed. Except for the driveshaft and shifter links, its a bolt-in process that can be done by any intermediate at-home mechanic over a weekend.

The only turbodiesels you will find in Europe are 300TD station wagons. The 300SD and 300CD were USA-only models. The only coupes you'll find there are 230CE and 280CE.

·
Registered
W210
13,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies guys. So the late 70's to early 80's 240D manual tranny will bolt on to the turbo engine on the 1985 model? Does it matter that the 240 was not a turbo and the 1985 300cd-t is newer and is a turbo motor? And exactly what is involved in shortening the drive shaft and the costs associated?

Thanks a lot guys for your help.:)

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys. So the late 70's to early 80's 240D manual tranny will bolt on to the turbo engine on the 1985 model? Does it matter that the 240 was not a turbo and the 1985 300cd-t is newer and is a turbo motor? And exactly what is involved in shortening the drive shaft and the costs associated?

Thanks a lot guys for your help.:)
Do you really want to do this? I heard some people say it could be a bad "non-factory" combo since the tranny's synchros have been reportedly damaged (2nd gear) in the '81-'85 GL68 and pre-'80 GL76 versions. The torque curve/output from the turbodiesels differ from the M110s and I have heard this is the reason why the synchros suffer more wear/tear due to the load. I have never driven or owned one, and quite frankly the A/T 300CD-T is just fine the way it was designed from the factory. If you do take on this project, Oderus Urungus' comment is well-said.... balancing the flywheel to match the OM617A is one of the critical factors. Good luck! :thumbsup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts