Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

2741 - 2760 of 2794 Posts

·
Immoderately Caffeinated/ Vintage Moderator
16,362 Posts
I believe all of the newer models than the 124 require proprietary software/readers in order decode various ECU/CAN-bus outputs. I wish they were more like VAG, which allows folks to use relatively inexpensive VAG-COM software and a laptop to not only read, but manipulate the ECU settings for certain functions. MB seems to have chosen a route that prefers that only their factory techs be able to do those sorts of activities...or at the very least, those with deep pockets. I'm well outside my element with the newer MBs, but I don't think I'd mess around with anything newer except for the 203 and 211 models. I'm pretty much a one-trick-pony though, so I'm just sticking to the 124s.
I'm with you Zeiter on this. My mate has two identical and pristine 123's and they feel like tractors. I tossed my rusting out but wonderful old 124TE workhorse for an immaculate and impeccably maintained S202 kompressor because the front sort of looks like a 124. What I didn't know but should have checked was the $2000 ignition switch and the fault where the CPS sensor leaks oil into the loom, the oil migrating through the entire engine bay loom into the O2 sensors, the ECU, the MAF sensor and my brain, virtually writing off the car.:crying

I'm now looking at a 1994 124 E220.

Edit; and every freekin' time I had to get the codes read MB wanted $200 just to get a fault print-out and the engine light off using their exclusive STAR program. I'm really beginning to hate this car.

·
Cruise Control
52,233 Posts
The 126 and 123 are pretty much the same basic chassis and essential technology. The 126 is certainly more comfortable, and some versions are easier to service than the 123.

·
Immoderately Caffeinated/ Vintage Moderator
16,362 Posts
I'd have to say a nice 560/420 SEL is the bees knees in touring snobbery compared to a tractorish old 123 compact. FFS zeitgeist .. Get a grip!

·
Cruise Control
52,233 Posts
Those two chassis share the same suspension design. The 126 is more comfortable as a cruiser due to the longer wheelbase and wider track. Kinda like the similarities between the 201 and 124; same suspension but different dimensions. I would take a 126 over a 123 any day, but it's too large for my urban setting.

If I go with a more modern car, it definitely won't be a Mercedes

·
Forum Administrator , RC Colas® & Moon Pies®
39,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,749
Pfft. I drove the 211 up to Edison NJ and back today, at 85 to 90 mph for long stretches, in snowy, though not accumulating, conditions with nary a single white knuckle moment. At both ends of the multi-hour drive, I emerged fresh and my joints were not aching. Neither the Avalon nor the Volvo compare, although the Avalon was quite comfy.

It DID cough a couple of times when we passed the Rutgers exit, though.

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
39,077 Posts
Those two chassis share the same suspension design. The 126 is more comfortable as a cruiser due to the longer wheelbase and wider track. Kinda like the similarities between the 201 and 124; same suspension but different dimensions. I would take a 126 over a 123 any day, but it's too large for my urban setting.

If I go with a more modern car, it definitely won't be a Mercedes
W126 SEC and W201 2.6. While the SEC is a comfortable cruiser, the W201 is nimble, easy to park (great turning radius), with a far superior suspension. Testament is that the same multi link rear suspension on W201/124 has been kept (same parts #'s) for W 210, R129, W201 & many others.
Daimler Benz spent much money on the W201 incl suspension as the Cosworth 16V was developed to compete for the rallying crown.
Audi releasing the Quattro put an end to Daimler Benz rally aspirations.
On my W201, after all new bushings, arms, sportline springs, koni, + 400E brakes, the 2.6 now feels feels a bit anemic. The chassis could handle a lot more power (M104 3.6 would be the ticket).

When in Germany, I usually drive my now (still going strong) 100 year young aunt's Ellies first owner 1976 W123 280 carburated. The car has only a little over 70k KM.

David aka bondavi has a cool W124 Renntech 6 L 'rocket' in his stable.

Attachments

·
Cruise Control
52,233 Posts
It seems almost criminal that we can't buy those over here. The MB version is comparatively hideous...as are all their contemporary offerings.

·
Cruise Control
52,233 Posts
That thing's had some sketch work done in the past, but I bet they get real close to their asking price. I wish I'd of invested in every single Split bus that came my way back in the day.

2741 - 2760 of 2794 Posts
About this Discussion
2.8K Replies
76 Participants
IWantedaJag
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing