Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled into my driveway last night and could not roll up my windows in my W123 300D. How do I go about fixing it? Is this a common problem? Im going to start with removing the center wood console to expose the switches and wires, Im hoping its just a loose wire connection.

All advice and help will be much appreciated!

·
Registered
1976 240D 115 Pumpkin Orange 700,000+ miles and rising!
49 Posts
I pulled into my driveway last night and could not roll up my windows in my W123 300D. How do I go about fixing it? Is this a common problem? Im going to start with removing the center wood console to expose the switches and wires, Im hoping its just a loose wire connection.

All advice and help will be much appreciated!
Before you do that - when you push the buttons do you hear the motors try to move? If not check fuses - I know on my 240D there are two separate fuses that I had to replace to get all my windows working.

If its not fuse then more than likely its the switches. These are easy to come by and easy to replace (too bad they arent cheap (dont get the cheap ones get the OEM ones)). If you replace the switches and they still dont work check the motor/regulator inside the door. Sometimes mine come out of their track and this causes them to not function properly as well.

·
Registered
1984 300D
5,070 Posts
You ought to be more specific. Windows= more than 2 Windows, could also be 3, could also be all 4 windows. The Correct information makes a big difference when trouble shooting stuff by remot control here on the Forum

If all of the Windows stopped working there is a Fuse that is shared by other components and the Power Window Relay. Consult your Fuse Chart in the lid of the Fuse Box.
On my 84 300D it is the #12 Fuse that goes to the Power Window Relay.

There is also 2 Fuses for the Window Motors. One Fuse takes care of 2 Windows; one in front and the other on the opposite side of the Car in the Rear.

If the 2 Rear Widows are not working there a another Switch in the middle of the Widow Switches that are closest to the Drivers Seat (US models) it s a Square Button. That turns access to the Rear Windows on and off so that children cannot play with the Windows.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it was my passenger window and rear driver-side window. Since posting though, the driver window and the rear passenger-side window have also quit working. So Im thinking its a fuse

·
Registered
1984 300D
5,070 Posts
it was my passenger window and rear driver-side window. Since posting though, the driver window and the rear passenger-side window have also quit working. So Im thinking its a fuse
When you inspect the Fuses actually pull the Fuse out an check the tips of the Fuses and where they contact in the Fuse Holder.

Get rid of Fuses that have a Plastic body because the body can melt before the Metal strip does.
Fuses with a Cermaic Body and Copper or Brass Metal strips cause the lest trouble.

In the pic is a Fuse that stopped 2 of my Windows from Working. It looke good until I pulled it out.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Check the fuses. The windows are powered in an "X" pattern. A fuse links the front right and rear left, and another fuse links the front left and right rear.

If the fuses check out fine, pull the instrument cluster and check the electric window relays behind the cluster.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok so I changed the fuses and all of the windows work except for my front passenger window. When I press on the switch nothing happens I don't hear anything coming from
the window either

·
Registered
1976 240D 115 Pumpkin Orange 700,000+ miles and rising!
49 Posts
Ok so I changed the fuses and all of the windows work except for my front passenger window. When I press on the switch nothing happens I don't hear anything coming from
the window either
This will more than likely be the switch or the motor. As a test take a switch from the working side and try it on the non working side (should be the same). If it still doesnt work then its the motor if it does then its the switch. I have quite a few of the window switches laying around FYI if you end up needing.

·
Registered
1984 300D
5,070 Posts
If you are not hearing any noise when you apply the Window Switch remove the Counsel and pull that Switch out.
Take the Switch apart carefully and do not loose the 2 Ball Bearings, 2 Copper metal Rockers or the 2 Springs.

If you see any burned contact Points take a small Knive and scrape the burned part off so to the extent that you think it will make good contact.

Also on the Doors there is a Wire Terminal/Junction Block on the lower Front of the Door under the Door Panel.
When one of my Front Windows did not work I found that both of the Screws that held the wires to the Terminal Block were loose. Tightening the cured the Problem.

Sometimes the Wires break in the Area where the Door Hinges.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts