Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

The Wheels That Got Away

783 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  MBL87560SEC 
#1 ·
A year ago, while shopping for tires, I was greeted by a very SEC enthusiastic young man at a local Goodyear store. He had seen my 560 as I drove into his lot, and came out to see the car.

We had fun 'kicking tires', and in conversation, I learned his father had been an SEC lover (years ago) and that the interest was still there - although the car had been sold - the father had removed the custom wheels before the sale.

He said he and his dad really missed the car, so I countered with: "So why doesn't he just get one, and put the wheels on it?" The old brain started to kick in, so I expressed interest in the seeing these wheels, with the idea of possible installation on my own car... if his father had no more use for them. Might turn out to be a super 'Barn Find'..[8D]

A day or so later I came back and was shown some Fitapaldi wheels, for sale, which I decided weren't for my car. I kept looking for wheels, and finally found some around Christmas 2005.

A couple of days ago, while flying around in my 560, I thought I'd stop in to the Goodyear store, and show this avid SEC fan my car - just now fitted with AMG rims.

Again, I was warmly greeted with SEC enthusiasm (always welcome), and shown a surprise as well! After politely saying all the right things about my car and the 'new' rims, he said he had a surprise for me. I was ushered to the side lot and there (Surprise - Surprise!) was his freshly acquired, low mileage, white 560SEC! After checking this baby out, I was treated to another surprise inside the office.

It seems my words of a year ago: "Why doesn't he just get another one (560SEC) and fit the wheels...." took hold. Here by the desk, was a pile of W126 suspension parts, tune-up bits, and various SEC goodies. But the crowning touch was seeing the four staggered BBS rims just back from the refinishing shop. They looked GREAT!

Yes, these would be the rims his father had saved when he sold the SEC, years ago. Yes, these would be the rims I might have had, if I hadn't opened my big mouth about them getting another SEC.......... [:(]

What I've 'lost in wheels', I've certainly gained a local SEC enthusiast with which to share some fun with. I think it is great that his family's W126 coupe experience (with those wheels) now spans two generations. Kind of interesting, the way things sometimes work out, isn't it?

I don't think I would have been keen to offer these rims up for sale right away either.... [:)] MBL

Here are 'the wheels that got away'.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
MBL,

Lost the opportunity to get some very nice wheels for cheap, but gained a few new acquaintances to share the W126 hobby with. - Sounds like you came out ahead in my book. [:)]

#6 ·
AxelWulff - 4/2/2006 7:42 AM

MBL,

Lost the opportunity to get some very nice wheels for cheap, but gained a few new acquaintances to share the W126 hobby with. - Sounds like you came out ahead in my book. [:)]
Oh, I don't know, those wheels are sweet. [8D]

#7 ·
AxelWulff: Re "nice wheels cheap..." I don't think I ever expected to get them cheap, just nice to find an unmolested example that had been put away... just to be brought out at the right time.... :eek:)

white500se: Glad you like 'em. They'll be mounted on that white SEC, which to my mind will look great, especially as the car has a white lower cladding. They are 16s.. 8in Frt. / 10in Rear. Pretty sure on those numbers.

Mine has the grey lower panels & bumpers, so what I searched for and finally got (the AMGs) look right on my machine in a different (more subtle?) way.

You know, wheel choice is so subjective, isn't it? So many choices over the last 25 years or so.

MBL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.