Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
05 500
6,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Warning: As an armchair quarter back, this is strictly my visual opinion.

This morning, I went out looking and spotted them - 2 silver W164 350s sitting in my dealer lot. Sticker: $48,825.00 Wow!!! My first though was this - "what an improper fraction??", then the MDX floated through my mind and then I had this look of disappointment. I really don't know what I was expecting, but I think I was looking for a really "Wow" factor and I didn't get it!!! When it comes to vehicles, looks/stance/posture rank up there with horsepower.

Now, an improper fraction is when the top is heavier than the bottom. So, with the trucks fitted with "thin" 235/65/17 rubbers, they looked odd - the wheel seemed tucked in way too much for the rest of the sculptured wedgy body. To make matters worse, both were standing in close proximity to a tired bunch of W163 500s and 350s. When one takes a dead on look at the W163 (front or rear), you get (at least I do!!!) the strength factor - large tires set quite close to the fender walls, accompanied by a drooping hood and an overall low nose; that's quite a stance. The W164 that I saw today didn't show any of that; really, their stance with their "nose up" posture was more akin to that of a MDX - just plain wimpy!!! They looked smaller and shorter, wedgy but well refined.

I took a peek at the inside, and I know for certrain that MB will do away with those two center console horizontal support bar things that run from the storage bin area towards the ashtray area - they don't belong.

Like I warned earlier, this is only a visual opinion on what looks like a base ML350. I'll arrange a drive and I'm sure the ride will wow me out of my pants!!! Meanwhile, I'm hopeful that the 500 shows a much more commanding posture!!

·
Registered
99ML320 (retired) C230 530xi 911-C4
2,229 Posts
Darkmann - 3/27/2005 7:49 AM

This morning, I went out looking and spotted them - 2 silver W164 350s sitting in my dealer lot. Sticker: $48,825.00 Wow!!! My first though was this - "what an improper fraction??", then the MDX floated through my mind and then I had this look of disappointment. I really don't know what I was expecting, but I think I was looking for a really "Wow" factor and I didn't get it!!! When it comes to vehicles, looks/stance/posture rank up there with horsepower.

Now, an improper fraction is when the top is heavier than the bottom. So, with the trucks fitted with "thin" 235/65/17 rubbers, they looked odd - the wheel seemed tucked in way too much for the rest of the sculptured wedgy body. To make matters worse, both were standing in close proximity to a tired bunch of W163 500s and 350s. When one takes a dead on look at the W163 (front or rear), you get (at least I do!!!) the strength factor - large tires set quite close to the fender walls, accompanied by a drooping hood and an overall low nose; that's quite a stance. The W164 that I saw today didn't show any of that; really, their stance with their "nose up" posture was more akin to that of a MDX - just plain wimpy!!! They looked smaller and shorter, wedgy but well refined.

I took a peek at the inside, and I know for certrain that MB will do away with those two center console horizontal support bar things that run from the storage bin area towards the ashtray area - they don't belong.

Like I warned earlier, this is only a visual opinion on what looks like a base ML350. I'll arrange a drive and I'm sure the ride will wow me out of my pants!!! Meanwhile, I'm hopeful that the 500 shows a much more commanding posture!!
Good field report soldier!

·
Registered
2020 MB GLE 450 4MATIC, 2015 BMW M4
2,114 Posts
Darkmann - 3/27/2005 4:49 AM

I have not seen one with the base 17"/235s, but I think even the 18/19" 255s are too small. This vehicle will benefit greatly from bigger meats--275 or 285s. I can't wait to see what Lorinser, Brabus and Carlsson come out with. Brabus will introduce theirs for the ML at Frankfurt in September. I will be upgrading. Here are 18'/285s on my '98:

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts