Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
`02 ML320 / `99 E320
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was curious if anyone had installed a "vortex" into their ML? And if so, if anyone feels that it has helped to reduce gas guzzling. Thanks~

·
Registered
SLK55,CayenneS,XKR
1,995 Posts
Ive heard that it doesnt Increase the mileage by 30%!

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,847 Posts
They do not work at all, and sometimes make the MPG worse.

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550 FORMER: C300, ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
21,770 Posts
I installed one of these and actually got a 25% increase. I figured that was pretty good, so I installed a second one, and guess what? A 50% increase! Then I installed about half a dozen of those magnetic fuel molecule aligners, and finally, I put about 80psi of helium in all my tires. My engine is now actually creating gasoline! I have to remove several gallons each day to keep the tank from overflowing! :D

·
C9H9N Offensive Odor Exuder
2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4MATIC RIP, 2010 F150 Crew Cab
11,383 Posts
I installed one and cranked the car. It blew the shingles off my house and blew over 2 mobile homes down the street.:eek:

·
Registered
Black 2005 ML 500
1,662 Posts
There are various cases in which providing a constructive turbulent direction to a gas/liquid flow environment will improve the overall flow rate of it across a device.

I would not be laughing, though, that there may be more than one case in which higuer directional/velocity air mass flow rates, and in the right setup/design/environment, may increase the overall total air mass fed to the engine combustion chamber and therefore increasing it's performance if paired with the right gas mixture feeding event. Though it is easy to see that there may be problems with air mass sensors and hardwired air/gas lookup tables used by some engines ..

I would not mind participating in a control experiment to see what performance gains one may be able to get in the optimal/working cases. My raw guess is around %2... but I am open to see the real facts..

Or maybe the Mercedes Benz OEM air filter is really a big cork and that is why my K&N filter makes a difference using my pants meter.. Maybe that will be another good control experiment to perform.. :D

AC

·
Registered
2002 C320 Sport Wagon
43 Posts
rudeney said:
I installed one of these and actually got a 25% increase. I figured that was pretty good, so I installed a second one, and guess what? A 50% increase! Then I installed about half a dozen of those magnetic fuel molecule aligners, and finally, I put about 80psi of helium in all my tires. My engine is now actually creating gasoline! I have to remove several gallons each day to keep the tank from overflowing! :D
LMAO!

·
Registered
99ML320 (retired) C230 530xi 911-C4
2,229 Posts
It's a joke

cbuschner ml320 said:
I was curious if anyone had installed a "vortex" into their ML? And if so, if anyone feels that it has helped to reduce gas guzzling. Thanks~
It's a total scam. You may get placebo effect in best case. unfortunately in most cases it decreases engine performance.

It's a snipped up beer can.

Search this site for tornado or vortex, as well as on google.
They change product names between tornado, vortex, hurricane to dodge bad PR.

·
Registered
ML320,C230, F250, Bayliner, Mountain Bike, Fleetwood Motorhome etc...
1,839 Posts
I think if those vortex things were so good then all the car mfrs would be using them. Who wouldn't want to get that good improvement with such a cheap piece of metal. They would'nt have to come up with things like variable valve timing and port injection.
In actuality those things can actually hurt your performance. It is an obstruction in your intake system and could be detrimental to the air flow by slowing it down... I have more confidence in the engineers @ MB for the advances they have come up withh over the years...

·
Registered
ML 320
29 Posts
Does not Work

I ve tried the tornado in my subaru and my ml320, it actually hurt my gas mileage by 1-2 mpgs. I don't recommend it for gas mileage purposes. I did notice a little more pick up power in my subaru however. Hope that helps.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts