Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
'12 Peugeot 3008 HYbrid4 (sorry!)
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

By and by, I'm wondering whether when I finally get the W164, the luggage compartment will have shrunk away altogether [?][?]

To briefly resume, the official VDA luggage capacity for the W164 is 663 litres. This may be up to window level or below the cover - as the cover is nearly in line with the windows, no great matter. Load it to the roof (behind the safety net) and you can carry 1,061 litres. Fold the seats, and you can be off with 2,020 litres.

Now, the W164's official VDA luggage capacity is 551 litres. MB themselves admit that putting in the optional luggage cover makes this drop to 500 litres. When checking out the new "M-Class" minisite from the German MB site at http://mklasse.sv-preview.de/start_de.html you get another "nice" surprise (well, maybe it's a hint that the URL reads SV-preview and not SUV-preview): Click on "KOMFORT", then "LADERAUM", and then move your mouse to the second of the yellow lines in the bottom right-hand corner. A window appears, reading: "48 Liter mehr mit Tirefit"!!!

Yes, what's already suggested by the blue shadows here:

is true: If you order the emergency spare (or as I simply do not consider the underfloor storage as a part of the luggage compartment), your net luggage capacity with the cover in place is 452 litres!!! Come on, this isn't serious - you develop a new and improved model, and the practically usable luggage capacity drops by 32%!!

Also, some other "features" are revealed on the minisite: Click on the last of the yellow bars, and you get a nice view of the rear compartment. Take a closer look at the front and rear fitting points for the cover. WHY oh WHY are they so low - there could be some 50 litres gained just by raising the fitting points by 2", and making the cover flush with the upper part of the rear seatback and the rear windows.

A closer examination of the blue zones also reveal an interesting fact about the "gain" in total luggage capacity for this longer and wider vehicle: Put the seats down in the W163, and you can carry 2,020 litres. Upon arrival, unload, raise seats, take friends or family for a ride. On the W164, you order the "EASY-PACK" system at 296 EUR/381 USD, take out the seat cushions, and proceed to load 2,050 litres - unload, and: OOOPS! go nowhere, because the seat cushions are in your garage at home. Slight crisis with family&friends: "There you go, spending a silly amount of money on your SUV, and you can't take anyone for a ride" [:0][:(!][:0][:(!]

DC-TV had a feature on the W251 R-Class the past week which I recorded last night - I think I'll have a second look at it and consider my options again.
At b]452 litres[/b] net luggage capacity there are also plenty of alternatives, most at less money. Unfortunately (because my wife insists on it) most also w/o 4WD - otherwise one could, just could consider getting this:

Identical luggage capacity - and 27,000 EUR fully optioned against somewhere (way!) beyond EUR50K for the W164. So I agree, it's a French tin can - but it certainly strikes the eye [;)][;)]

Don't worry, of course I'm only kidding.....- OR!?!?

Birger

·
Registered
2020 MB GLE 450 4MATIC, 2015 BMW M4
2,117 Posts
Birger,

While I understand your situation might make the luggage cover important, I have never used mine so the volume beneath it is irrelevant. While the overall size has shrunk marginally, it still is plenty adequate, at least for our needs.

My order goes in tomorrow (First 10 days of May build, late May delivery).

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Greg,

In many respects, Europe differs from the US (or rather, some European regions differ from other - as I'm sure some US regions differ). Thus, the use of a luggage cover may become important, even with privacy glass. Not only as a theft deterrent, but it may also be easier to pass borders without having your luggage on display.

I'm still very curious as to the real luggage capacity of the W251, though: With the second and third row folded (but without removing any seat parts), VDA luggage capacity (roof-high) is quoted as 2,057 litres (more than a "gutted" W164!), with the 2nd row in place there should with b]977 litres[/b] be almost as much room as in the W163, while of course the space left with all three rows in use is ridiculous at 212 litres (I suppose below a cover or window height - but anyhow barely sufficient for 6 very small overnight bags).

We watched the 6-minute DC-tv W251 special a couple of times last night, and the vehicle grows on you - there are several design details (like the grille) that are more to our taste than the W164, and the panoramic sunroof is a definite plus, even though it will probably also be expensive.

My order went in 2½ weeks ago, but due to the very much llonger production delays over here can still be changed (or transfomed to a W251 [;)]) for another month or so.

Cheers,
Birger

·
Registered
2001 ML320
1,126 Posts
if you don't get as much snow as we do

and don't mind the R cost, it sounds like a better choice for you given how much stuff I've seen you haul w/ your W163 ;-)

Besides, you know you're going to trade it for an MLG in a few years anyways ;-)

·
Registered
W203 modified
2,032 Posts
I think you are misreading something. That blue section is an option guide for the new aquarium feature. Those measurements in litres are purely for the water capacity. You dont really imagine luggage and all other sundry items to able to float in that tank do you ?

It would get wet for starters.

In a normal dry car those under floor sections would never get used. That explains why its better to fill the car with water and have fish in there instead.

That's why it is blue.

Does anyone have a part number for the 2000 litre container ?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
RE: if you don't get as much snow as we do

Hi, Ken

kenyee - 4/5/2005 1:53 PM

and don't mind the R cost, it sounds like a better choice for you given how much stuff I've seen you haul w/ your W163 ;-)

Besides, you know you're going to trade it for an MLG in a few years anyways ;-)
Actually, I think the snow driving capacities of ML and R are equal. Suspension, drivetrain and tires are the same - the only thing you can't get on the R is low range, which I have yet to use in snow.

You may very well be right that my concerns about the W164 luggage compartment capacity might be conditioned by "past sins"[;)][;)][;)]

My wife's comment to this:

and this:

was not fit for printing, but essentially. NO WAY!!!
Anyhow, although I personally don't mind the looks of it as much as she, I fear that the MLG wil come standard with the Off-Road Pro package, which in addition to its "positioning" will make it an unacceptably expensive alternative. My dealer has a very sinister-looking black-on-black G400CDI sitting in the showroom - at US$ 120,000 no wonder it's been sitting there for a while[;)][;)]

Greetings to Boston,
Birger

·
Registered
2001 ML320
1,126 Posts

I actually mean the ground clearance.

My brother has a C240 4-matic (he got tired of his FWD Camry wiggling in the snow). He high-centered trying to get into a parking space this year and we had to shove the snow out from under it. He finally stopped telling me to trade my ML in for an E ;-)

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Hi, Ken

Of course the R's ground clearance is less than the ML's, but I guess that you would be able to do something about not getting stuck with the Airmatic (which, incidentally, should be a less costly option on the R than the ML because the R alredy has rear air suspension).

With the Airmatic, you can raise the vehicle by 50mm/2" - not enough to off-road, but enough to "uncling" from snow - at least the amount we get in these parts.

Birger

·
Registered
18 Posts

kenyee - 4/5/2005 10:53 AM

Just curious. Besides the important factor of ground clearance and possibly different tires, is there anything in a stock W164 that gives it an advantage in the snow over an R-class?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1 - 11 of 11 Posts