Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2000 ML320, 2003 G500, 2003 SLK, 2006 CLK500, 2008 ML350
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hay, Guy. I don't often come to this portion of the site. Because I don't own a C.

My baby sister is thinking about getting a C-240. Her main concern are safty and reliability. She is sold on the safty of the C. However she is still concern about the reliability of the C.

Could you folks. Please reply with all problems you have with your C no matter how small it could be especially if it effects safty and reliability.

thank

blau

·
Registered
E500S4, C240; Sold ML320, '72 280SE, '67 280SL, '86 300E, '87 300SDL
383 Posts
pretty good car if you ask me...

The car is great. As far as problems go I could say none. There are things I am not happy with, but those are more taste and preference than other things.

-The BAS/ESP light came on a few times and was correncted by dealer (old issue that has been resolved in others too).

-Pesky tilting mirror option (memory seat pkg) forgets to return to its original position at times (minor inconvenience).

-I complained about the A/C fogging up my window once and they replaced the vent.

-Would have prefered the bigger engine in the 320.

-Mmmm, nothing else really.

·
Registered
C230K Sport Sedan
5,368 Posts
If reliability is of primary concern, get an American or Japanese car, they typically do...

If reliability is of primary concern, get an American or Japanese car, they typically do much better in long term reliability surveys done by Consumer Reports and JD Powers. Personally I've had numerous problems on the 4 MB's that I have owned, none life threatening but still annoyances that take away a good chunk of time to deal with. As the person above noted, to him, taking time to deal with these issues is not a problem to him, it maybe for you, specially if you are not used to a European car. The best compromise I've seen is some of the European brands owned by American companies like Jaguar that consistantly does well for a European made car and is priced comperably to the C240.

If safety is of prime concern then the MB is great, does well in safety tests around the world, has the latest and greatest in safety gadgets, you can't go wrong with a C240 for safety, but to me that's not a big concern.

My priority is fun to drive. For example, can I drive it 1,000 miles like I did this weekend with reasonable comfort yet have a car that feels sporty and fun locally, the C gives me the best blend. I can get cars that are more fun to drive like the Honda S2000 but then I would hate it on a 1,000 mile trip. I can get cars that are more comfortable like the E class but then it would not be fun to drive.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Respectfully I will disagree with Buellwinkle. (Somewhat anyway)

As mentioned above Ja...

As mentioned above Jaguar is owned by Ford and for the most part built to better quality standard as was under the BMC. However, test driving the new X-Type was an extremely disappointing affair. As a long time JAG-U-R owner I felt the X-Type had a very “plastic� and cheap feel to it compared to my old XJs. The electronic center consol was broken and did not turn on despite all efforts from the salesman and his colleagues. (He assured me this problem has never happened before but I got the impression it had.) I must admit, the Jags handling was great. AWD is very nice and something I wish I had on my Benz but that was not enough to over look the fit/finish and material quality which I feel BMW and Mercedes are much better at.

As for Japanese cars… I completely agree. Unsurpassed reliability but I just cannot find myself spending 30k for a rebadged Toyota or Honda (sorry)

We currently have only 9k miles on our Mercedes and have nothing bad to say about it yet… but who knows, that might change.

Max R. Bollinger

I think I might have posted this twice... Oops

·
Registered
2015 ML250 BTC
1,314 Posts
I like the idea of short stroke motors . . .

. . . and many persons obviously like the C240 and higher reving motors in general so I do not question the engine-part of your buying decision. However, we chose our '02 C-sedan with the 320 engine, i.e., the same engine as the 240 but with a longer stroke. The 320 is same engine that pushed the ML around until the MLs got so heavy that MB decided to up the bore for more displacement.

The 320 engine has more torque than the 240--even more than BMW's 330i motor for instance and at a lower rpm. Plus, there's not much of a sacrifice in mpg and probably none at all if you have hills in your daily travel. The 320 is the base engine for the E-class so it has a fine pedigree.

Overall, this is the best car we've owned. I'm not the primary driver of it, but when I am behind the wheel, I appreciate the fact that it has a lot of character, e.g., the longer you own it the more you like it. We call it our sports car but it easily handles four adults.

·
Registered
'01 C240
272 Posts
Hay, Guy. I don't often come to this portion of the site. Because I don't own a C.

My baby sister is thinking about getting a C-240. Her main concern are safty and reliability. She is sold on the safty of the C. However she is still concern about the reliability of the C.

Could you folks. Please reply with all problems you have with your C no matter how small it could be especially if it effects safty and reliability.

thank

blau

Exactly (kinda lol) w/what Buell said you want reliable go Japanese. I got 2 euros w/probs all the time but NON unliveable just take it to dealer get your loaner and go ON w/your life. If that is TOO much hassle then as said earlier stick w/Lexus and Infiniti
[:)]

·
Registered
1955 benz 220a
14 Posts
Re: Respectfully I will disagree with Buellwinkle. (Somewhat anyway) As mentioned above Ja

As mentioned above Jaguar is owned by Ford and for the most part built to better quality standard as was under the BMC. However, test driving the new X-Type was an extremely disappointing affair. As a long time JAG-U-R owner I felt the X-Type had a very “plastic� and cheap feel to it compared to my old XJs. The electronic center consol was broken and did not turn on despite all efforts from the salesman and his colleagues. (He assured me this problem has never happened before but I got the impression it had.) I must admit, the Jags handling was great. AWD is very nice and something I wish I had on my Benz but that was not enough to over look the fit/finish and material quality which I feel BMW and Mercedes are much better at.

look for japanese cars if she cares about reliability... don't get ford/bmw cars... i had a discovery and range rover... they are terrible... every oil change needs 1000$, every oil change they found something else needs to be fix. and every second oil change will needs a big job around $5K. new jaguar is better now... but BMW are as shit as Land Rovers.

benz is the best european car so far... the relibility, craftmanship, design, body and paint and stiffness are always better than BMW. now even audi builds better cars than BMW...

·
Registered
W204 & W211
2,717 Posts
i've had power seats jamming problem...
got it fixed after resetting(?) the power seats...

haven't had any other problems...

if u want reliability, get honda accord...
if u want safety, get german car...

·
Registered
1955 benz 220a
14 Posts
Re: i've had power seats jamming problem...got it fixed after resetting(?) the power seats

haven't had any other problems...

if u want reliability, get honda accord...
if u want safety, get german car...
totally agree...
i got a 1986 Honda Accord for fishing ^^!
no major proboem... just overheat problem when jammed in traffic.

hey, nice banner MJ~

·
Registered
Carlsson w203
28 Posts
dont get a 240... its pretty slow. id opt for the 320. if the cost is an issue then id go ...

dont get a 240... its pretty slow. id opt for the 320. if the cost is an issue then id go for the 230 kompressor sedan. it will save you money and you will have more horsepower also better gas mileage.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm a previous Lexus owner, now drive a 2001 C320. The truth is my next car will be a Lexus again. Benz is lucky that they have excellent designer.

The reliability sucks.

List of problems:
1. Squeaking rear sunshade
2. Middle console (the container between the driver and the front passenger seat) broke. Once it's open, it wouldn't click back to close. Once it's close, cannot open.
3. Gas pedal squeaking.
4. Front passenger window cannot open.
5. Glove compartment. The side came off of its fitting, so the cover cannot click into place.
6. Now.. just found out that the front right stabilizer link is broken. It's been causing very annoying rattling noise. The car has only 25K miles right now.

I bought my car in VA, now I'm in NJ. Just becuase I didn't buy the car in the dealership in NJ, I cannot get a loaner. Same deal with my sister's S500. She bought it in VA, now we live in NJ. No loaner. The problems may be bearable if we get a loaner, but due to "each dealer's policy", we have to arrange something everytime we need to bring our cars in to fix these small annoying problems.

Lexus always has a loaner car waiting whichever dealer I went to (California and Wisconsin).

Right now, I keep telling myself that my C is a beauty. However, the price to own a beauty is to sacrifice reliability?! It's embarassing to drive a $35K car that squeaks here and there.

·
Registered
'04 C230 Sport Sedan
8 Posts
I have owned a number of MB's over the past years... From a 97 e class to a 99 ML the list goes on...

I just bought a 2004 C230 Sport Sedan. It is a nice car. Large enough for me, 6'4, 250lbs, and small enough to get around in the City of Chicago.

I had the most problems with the E class and the least with the C class.

I had a c240 loaner and it was HORRIBLE! It is slow as hell and what a waist. I actually took it back and got a loaner swap. (They lady looked at me like I was nuts, but...)

I have been having an issue with the radio and 1 station with static behind it... They are working on it as I type. They gave me a C320 Sport and it is WAY faster.

I wanted a quick stylin car for the cash. I would go with the C230 Sport Sedan over the C240.

But you should have small issues that you will have with any car... It is under warranty for 4 years!

·
Registered
03 c230 k
92 Posts
The C240 is a pig. The engine sucks in it and believe if you check the specs the C230 puts out more horsepower. I had a c240 as a loaner car and brought it back because it couldnt get out of its own way. Depending on how much money and when she wants to buy the car go with the c320 or the c230 if she can wait a little the 2005 c230 has a bunch of changes in the engine more horsepower, the interior has been changed up, suspension and ventilated brakes added, new paint schemes plus there new less scratchable clearcoat, and a little wider stance on it. Makes me want to get rid of mine for a '05

·
Registered
03 c230 k
92 Posts
The C240 is a pig. The engine sucks in it and believe if you check the specs the C230 puts out more horsepower. I had a c240 as a loaner car and brought it back because it couldnt get out of its own way. Depending on how much money and when she wants to buy the car go with the c320 or the c230 if she can wait a little the 2005 c230 has a bunch of changes in the engine more horsepower, the interior has been changed up, suspension and ventilated brakes added, new paint schemes plus there new less scratchable clearcoat, and a little wider stance on it. Makes me want to get rid of mine for a '05

·
Registered
03 c230 k
92 Posts

·
Registered
03 c230 k
92 Posts

·
Registered
C230 SS
4 Posts
You’ll find that most movie and sport celebrities including the well off bushiness types drive a Mercedes-Benz or at least have one in their collection. What does that tell you? The car is high maintenance just like its owner. I guess that's way Mercedes doesn't make a mini van.[:D]Benz's have many electronic features to add to comfort and luxury. This is just more things to go wrong with the car but I love mine and wouldn’t even considering trading it in for something more reliable.

·
Registered
2012 E550 4 MATIC sedan
116 Posts
The only problem I have had with my C240 4 MATIC has been with the gas mileage which has been horrendous, but seems to now be improving. Other then that that car has not had ANY problems what so ever. Feels ROCK solid which is what I expected of MB. Should I decide to keep it after the warranty is over I may opt for an additional 3 year warranty if I start having problems with it. If I had to do it over I would have gotten the C320 4 Matic for the bigger engine. But if the need for speed surfaces my Boxster S takes care of that for now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What was the final fix for the static on your radio. I am fighting the same problem and would like to find out what fixed yours. I have a 98 C230. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts