Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
2003-2006 CL600s should be very negotiable when they have high mileage. Bear in mind, the 600s require a lot of work. I changed plugs on mine at 100K miles ($600) and the new plugs threw off the coil packs . So I replaced the coil packs ($2,750). These cars run hot so I replaced the water pump after smelling coolant (the radiator was replaced at 95K by prior owner) ($1,400). Then I did the engine mounts (I'm surprised my engine did not fly out) along with some O-rings and leaking hoses ($3,600). Of course there are the CPS ($200) and the two cam position sensors ($500). I just replaced the air pump and have not received my invoice yet. Of course, there are tires, and etc. Bottom line - be prepared to spend $10K on maintenance every 100K miles or so PLUS the regular maintenance (oil, filter, tranny oil, etc.). If you buy the later model with air suspension, plan on another $5,500. They are like hard disk drives - it is only a question of when. So if you're paying more than $15K for a bi-turbo 600 with 75K+ miles, you are over paying. In a couple of years, you will have to fork out $9K-10K to keep it running in racing condition. If it has 100K miles, don't pay more than $10K-12K.

In a perfectly running 600 with no deferred maintenance in sight, $25K is a good deal for this type of car. I can't imagine another car of this caliber for $25K. The speed, the feeling of being wrapped in a man-made cocoon that is built like a Panzer tank - I could see being homeless and living in my car. If you don't want to bear the costly 100K hit, go with the AMG 55s - E,CL or S. But the AMGs have a slight different torque curve and they put out less torque.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.