Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

The stupidest question in the forum....

954 views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  ohlord 
#1 ·
This has been driving me crazy--- I just have to ask. In several of the postings I hear references to a "MAF." What is it? There is talk about cleaning it.... please let me know what this is and how I can clean it. Thanks.

#6 ·
Bloxx, wait until you see it as AFM, AMS, etc. Then you'll really be going nuts. :rolleyes:

In addition to the referenced sticky, there is a little search box at the top of the forum. You can use it as advanced or just the basic, just click it, type in your term and go. Boom, you'll get lots of info if you use the MAF one, and some of it may even be useful. :)

Take care and enjoy the MAF-ful ride,
Greg

#8 ·
Hey, bloxx. The dirtiest MAF in the world won't affect the amount of air flow. Rather, the MAF "reads" the amount (the mass) of air passing it and conveys that information to the ECU, which uses that information, and lots more besides, to adjust the amount of fuel the engine needs. Understand that this is a very basic explanation, the algorithm and what happens is much more complicated and it does this dozens of times per second.

Re: cleaning, unless it's dirty, there is really no benefit to cleaning it, although companies that market MAF cleaner suggest that cleaning it should be a regular maintenance item. If yours has never been cleaned or replaced and you clean it properly, it's highly unlikely you'll do any damage. That said, if it's sufficiently dirty, it will trigger a dtc or perhaps even a CEL. So absent one of those, then unless you're just looking for something to do, I would leave well enough alone.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

#9 · (Edited)
Really no

need to clean it unless you have the codes associated with it being dirty ,out of range or faulty.p0170 and p0173.
Just never go to the dealer for replacement of one,just got off the cell phone with a member that was charged over $700 for a new maf and diagnostics(B.S.)to replace unit and clear codes and set adaptations(dealer lingo for ass reaming)
If it goes bad and throws codes,clean it per the diy,if you have not replaced your fuel filter in years replace that also since it can be a hidden cause of intermittent maf codes and if doing that fails to clear the trim codes replace the maf(also called MAS)to add further to your confusion:D with a new unit from autohausaz.com or the insert from germanstar.net.

Re:Air volume,no it just is a heated wire with a thermistor that gets cooled by air going past it and converts that drop in temperature to a change involtage and sends it to the cars computer to let it figure how much air is going into the engines intake so it can adjust air/fuel ratios for the best combustion.
A clean air filter(from autohausaz.com not K/N )is all you need for the most volume of air these engines need ,unless you install a huffer:thumbsup:
ohlord:bowdown:
and yes the stupid question is about the 22' rims,everyone should know 24's are the new 22's:rolleyes:

#10 ·
Yeah

What he said:D
Echo?echo,echo,echo

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.