Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Forum Administrator , RC Colas® & Moon Pies®
1981 380SL 151K: 2005 S500 116K
39,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
page62 said:
However...it's considered SOP (standard operating procedure) to ground out the coil wire any time an engine is cranked with the coil wire disconnected. This applies to ANY car...not just Mercedes.

(However, you're listening to a guy who burned up a Mustang wiring harness while trying to replace a ignition key cylinder with the battery connected. *cough* *cough*
I hijacked this post from another thread as a means of introducing my premise for this thread. Quite simply, what is the 'STUPIDEST EVER' thing you have done to a car...any car, Mercedes or not? I'm talking mostly mechanical here. If your car was impounded because you were speeding on I95 with a trunkful of heroin, that's something stupid you did WITH your car. This thread asks the question, what did you do TO your car. Stupid paint jobs are OK (only if you have the pictures to go with the story) but stories like page's above should give you guidance as to how to approach your response.

Since we don't know (yet) if page's wiring harness fiasco is his 'stupidest ever', I will lead off.

I once owned a 1978 Buick Skylark with a peppy little V6. I bought it used, maybe 3 years old but it looked really nice for the times and I liked it. The only problem was that it didn't run as smoothly as I thought it should. I tried lots of things like plugs and stuff but nothing ever changed. Then one day I decided that there was probably something blocking the fuel line at the carb (Stupid). I disconnected the fuel line where it entered the carb and fished around with a little piece of wire as if I might dislodge some piece of crap that was restricting the fuel flow (Stupider). I'd reattach the line, start the car and it still ran the same. I did this several times (Stupidest). Finally, I pulled the fuel line and sprayed some gumout type product in the inlet. Then I restarted the car.

That's right...and as I peeked under the edge of the open hood, I could see fresh unleaded Amoco just pump-assin' across the engine from the fuel line that I had forgotten to reconnect (STUPIDEST EVER!)! Of course, a stray spark from somewhere ignited the gas and the top of the engine went up in flames.

It takes a long time for a bucket to fill with water from the kitchen sink. Luckily, an observant neighbor ran over with some old blankets and smothered the fire. The insurance company actually covered the rebuild of the top end of the engine and the repainting of the hood. I traded the car in shortly thereafter. I couldn't stand the shame.

Next?

·
It Is What It Is, Dude
22,841 Posts
Back in the day I had 1969 C10 custom cab, fleetside pickup. Powder blue paint over white Buick Riv interior. Full tilt 383 stroker/Turbo 400 with an exhaust leak.

On my way to pick up a date, stopped at a friends house to slap in a new flange gasket. Pulled the flange bolts and climbed out from under to fetch the gasket. I came around the side of the garage, gasket in hand, to find a column of smoke pouring out from under hood! WTF! Soon found out it was a direct electical short. I burned both hands tearing the battery cable out of the terminal.The flange had slid down the header pipe and wedged between the pipe and the starter positive lug.

Needless to say, what with the ER visit and all, the date was history. After about two weeks of healing, a couple of all nighters to replace the engine and dash harnesses. Dave doesn't work with batteries still connected anymore....ever. D.

·
Registered
1988 560 SL (sold)/1995 E320
676 Posts
I think I get the award...

-My first car at 16, a $300 BMW 2002:) . This is summer 1979.
-Needed a brake job... a complete one.
-Removed the calipers to rebuild.
-Installed the wheels back on so as to move the car around:D
-Decided a few days later to rebuild the clutch master cylinder...
-Drove the car onto home made ramps... and realized there was no way to stop!:eek:
-Overshot the ramps, crashed into my brothers 1969 Alfa berlina which knocked the gear into neutral and proceeded to roll backwards into the street in perfect timing to get its complete rear end torn off by a passing Toyota corolla, while my 2002 continued on its merry way only to stop with the help from a tree in the yard.:thumbsup:

-The french canadian cops comment at the scene... " Eh, why is that BMW not registered?":rolleyes:

The BMW survived, the Alfa did not:surrender: , (it was mostly bondo) and the bro received a new 1980 Chevy Monza coupe (more like a cruel punishment):p

·
Premium Member
2012 C300 Sport 4Matic and 2003 CLK430 Cabrio
1,919 Posts
I was about 19 and I purchased a 1981 Cutless Supreme. I had to have the cool looking green fog lights. I mounted them behind the grill (Night Rider idea). I then mounted the switch under the dash. I ran the wires from the inside the car trough the firewall and hooked it to the battery. As I'm standing in front of may car with the hood open, I see the red wire turn into a string of fire. The string of fire ran trough the firewall and into the car where my carpet cought fire! I ran and got the hose a soaked the shit out of the inside of the car. I then went to Pep Boys and purchased a set of floor matts to cover the hole. :mad:

·
Premium Member
2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid, 1993 BMW 325i convertible
6,077 Posts
Hmmmm. OK, I was going to say something about the day I got into 5 accidents. 5 separate accidents. But instead I'll tell you about my first car.

1967 Chevy Caprice coupe, 327, Turbo 400 transmission, center shift, buckets. I wish I still had that car. Anyway, it needed to be degunked and I found this oil additive at the auto parts place. It said to add it to the oil and drive for at least 30 minutes, then change the oil. I added it and started driving. I figured if I really wanted to clean it out good I needed to work the engine, so I floored it. Did about 110 up the freeway (lucky no cops saw me) for 20 miles or so, until I saw an exit. As my speed dropped below 50 the oil light came on, the engine started making this really horrible noise, and black smoke belched out of the exhaust pipe.

My dad explained the mechanics of the situation to me. The additive was basically kerosene, designed to thin the oil. This was in the bad old days, when oil only came in one weight, and I was running 30 weight oil. Add the stuff from the can and it turned into something closer to 10 weight. Then drive in 110 degree heat for 20 miles and you get a great big paperweight that isn't even worth rebuilding.

I wound up driving a 1974 Mercury Vomet - uh, Comet.

·
Registered
1986 560 SL
7,306 Posts
I am a repeat offender.
At 18, set my VW bug engine on fire using a blowtorch to speed the cure of a tape-and-epoxy muffler patch. The engine hatch was locked.
At 20, tied down the unlatched hood of my Hillman Minx with my jockey shorts (don't ask), which tether failed at speed, to the dismay of the highway travellers behind me.
At 45, used my minivan and a rope to preload a tree I was felling so it would fall away from our cabin. You can guess the rest.
In my dotage, I fry EZLs.

·
It Is What It Is, Dude
22,841 Posts
ScottinSoCal said:
Hmmmm. OK, I was going to say something about the day I got into 5 accidents. 5 separate accidents. But instead I'll tell you about my first car.

I for one would like to hear that story too.

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
isthisdave said:
I for one would like to hear that story too.
Yeah, well, that's not gonna happen. Instead I'll treat you to a picture of my second car, the Vomet. Fake hoodscoop and all. To be fair, it did have a 302.

Note: This is not my car, this belongs to some poor schmuck who thinks he's got a gem. I hated that car.

·
Premium Member
87 300SL "Roadster" 86 420SEL "Limo" 89 420SEL The "New" Limo 87 190E 2.6 fact bodykit
1,575 Posts
Once I had a Ford XC GS panelvan with a 302 Cleveland V8 with a flat battery. I hooked it up to a charger overnight with the battery water caps of. Next day my dad helped me look for a bad spark plug lead. With the leads of, the spark from a lead ignited the battery gasses which caused it to explode in my dads face.

It scared the crap out of us but luckily he was ok.

·
Registered
1973 450SL
651 Posts
ScottinSoCal said:
This was in the bad old days, when oil only came in one weight, and I was running 30 weight oil. Add the stuff from the can and it turned into something closer to 10 weight.
When did oil come in only one weight? When it was still in the dinosaur?

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
mbslns said:
When did oil come in only one weight? When it was still in the dinosaur?
Yes, we oldsters had to go milk the dinosaur directly for oil. It was really bad when the dino took a dump in the oil pail before we could finish.

·
Registered
1978 280slc
3,200 Posts
They still use single weight oils on some bikes they use 50 or 60 weight. Diesels run weird oil too.

Now I haven't blown up a car yet(knock on wood), but a certain uncle of mine has a long and illustrious history of popping engines. The best story he told me was that he had an old volkswagen squareback or baja bug and it leaked oil. So he decided that he would need to check the oil so many times he'd leave a rag next to the dipstick. Well when he drove it the rag got wrapped around the engine fan, caused the engine to overheat, and pop the block. So he pulls into the bar without knowing the engine is blown and someone says "your car is leaking a lot of oil" to which his natural response is "I know." He then take a look at his car and sees the oil running down the block, time for a new engine.

·
Registered
1985 380 SL, 2001 SL 500, 2007 E350 Sport, 2008 T & C Ltd
931 Posts
Crack me up...Classic funny stuff you guys. One of the more entertaining threads in a while.

I'm relieved to note that I really don't have any horror stories to match (except for the day in the 60's when I got 3 tickets in one day. But since we're not going there and it didn't blow up the car...FIVE wrecks???? You win Dave.). And I do remember when multiweight was a huge breakthru. We were all concerned it would breakdown early.

But I did have a buddy in '65-66 (whose dad was the local Ford dealer) who took the first Shelby 289 AC Cobra off the truck and proceeded to drive it into the opposite gully while passing a car. Wasn't used to the tight steering and totaled it. Another friend bought it as it sat for $4K and brought it all the way back.

·
Always Remembered RIP
1973 450 SLC AMG, 1995 Chevy Tahoe
3,381 Posts
Besides not knowing that 66 VW do get oil. I learned the hard way, when it exploded on the NYS Thur. 67 chevy's need oil to sometime. That I learned on Rt. 9 in Croton when the front end exploded and landed in the slow lane.

I did put those chrome fenders on my SLC but I took them off today.:D

Plus the one when my friend raced me in the 66 VW from a bar to his house to go for a swim. He was driving a 75 camaro (I think, it was the first year of the newer body) His mom bot it with every hot upgrade chevy offered, for herself. Well he lost it on a 90 degree turn and drove it into a 200 year old tree 5' up. and raped the front end so tight around the tree it sat there, for everyone to see for three days, the day his mom came home from Vac. What fun that was. He still doesn't remember that I was the one that called the police.

Attachments

·
Registered
1986 560SL
210 Posts
Not a repair-related incident, but plenty stupid. When I asked my older brother how it was that you could burn oil off the ocean after a spill, he decided to show me. Our driveway sloped gently down from the garage to the street and my mom's yellow 1976 240 D was parked about halfway up the driveway.

My brother took an old fish bowl out of the garage, filled it partially with water and poured a bit of gas on top. He lit it up. Oh . . . Cool.

Let's try that again. I picked up the can and started pouring gas into the fishbowl. Of course, I couldn't see that the gas was still burning off the water. Flame shoots up into the can, which I dropped on its side, gas now freely flowing down the driveway.

We stood there for what seemed like an eternity as we watched a flaming stream of gas run down the driveway towards the car. Ever try to put out a gas fire with a garden hose? Thankfully, we succeeded just in time and lived to see another day, as did the car.

·
Registered
1981 380-SLC / 1987 Cadillac Sedan DeVille / 1967 VW Bus
6 Posts
I am new here. In fact I haven't even brought my new car home yet. 380-SLC but I was searching for something, I forget now, and I found this thread, someone mentioned paint and well ... New Page 1 The STUPID part was painting this a NORMAL 'pink green and orange. '

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,223 Posts
I got a couple, but I will tell this one for now.

I had just finished putting a used 350 LT1 in an old Malibu '74 complete with headers, intake , carb and a trani cooler. I was 18 and it was my first engine change.
I had just started dating my future first wife and took the car to pick her up. Basically, the maiden voyage. It ran great and was quite fast. I started seeing people looking at me odd as I was passing or being passed (actually, come to think of it...that still happens). I , by chance, looked in the rear view mirror and, to my horror, saw that my car was emitting the largest, thickest plume or trail of smoke.
I quickly pulled over and popped the hood thinking it was on fire.
Well. it seems as though I had forgotten to tighten the trani cooler lines and trani fluid was squirting all over the new white aluminized Hedman headers. Of course they were now brown.
I tightened the line with my ever present tools and topped up the fluid and off I went.
I took a wrong turn and ended up on a toll highway with NO money setting off the alarm bells twice as I had to make the return trip.
I was late, dirty and broke.
Good candidate for an ex-wife...Yes?

·
Premium Member
1980 450SL; 1984 500SEC Euro; 1991 560 SEC
345 Posts
Not sure if this qualifies or if it is my stupidest

[URL="http://www.benzworld.org/forums/tire-racks-tire-wheel-brake-suspension/1320815-long-story-107-tire-lust.html"
If anyone can help with a suggestion other than start all over.....
Sorry my url to the forum tire-racks-tire-wheel-brake-suspension/1320815-long-story-107-tire-lust.html didn't seem to work

·
Premium Member
2008 E 320 Bluetec (ELEGANCE) 2005 CLK500 (avant-garde)
1,928 Posts
"I'm amazed that you're allowed to wander around loose!"

My stupidest ever?

1. Selling my 4 year old Buick Regal that had nothing wrong with it

2. Buying a 1973 BMW 2002 that had EVERYTHING wrong with it

3. Not learning my lesson and buying a 3 year old 1982 BMW 323i

4. Learning what "grey market" means

5. Learning that I won't EVER do that again!

6. Not learning my lesson and buying a NEW BMW 318i

7 Not learning my lesson and buying a Cadillac Fleetwood with the V8-6-4 engine

8. STILL not learning my lesson and buying a 735i

At this point I finally DID learn my lesson and bought a 1985 300D. Later a 1985 300SD. Both were wonderful cars, however some people would say that I got a case of the stupids again and bought a W140.

As my dad said when I was 16...."You know, sometimes you do such stupid stuff I'm amazed that you're allowed to wander around loose!"

1 - 20 of 90 Posts