Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
My Two Left Feet
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok well, I first and formost would like to thank and apologize to all the people who replied to my most recent threads "Slow Sluggish" and "Limp Mode". I went to Kregan just now to price out a couple of things based on all of ya'll high intelegent answers and as I opened my hood, I relized my oil cap was off and it believe it or not was in the same place I left it on Saturday 2 pm PST. Its now 3:30 PST and I drove approx 80 miles like this all high way. Man do I feel stupid. :( So now after cleaning all the oil or as much as I could she runs just fine, oil lost was minimal seeing as on Saturday I added a quart for safe keeping it burns alot of oil now and then. So to all I just got of the "Stupid" Train.

I saw a thread for the weirdest or funniest thing some one has ever done to thier cars, this for me is it, cant believe i did this, first and hopefully last dumb thing I do to my car.....ok lay it on me what damage did I do? Oh and for this one name calling is allowed I deserve it.....LOL

·
Registered
My Two Left Feet
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I cleaned it already. If I had pics I would only post on TMZ......LOL

·
W210 Moderator
99 E320
5,202 Posts
i put poured in nice, clean oil.........and heard it come out the bottom some
years back.....as i scrambled around wondering where the drain plug was
(hidden by rag).

·
Registered
My Two Left Feet
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LOL, wow I guess we should start a new thread talking about the higher-end of the thinking stick, to be honest I was in a rush to get home that day because I purchased a Mothers Clay kit and was overly excited to clay for the first time. Man.....I feel quite dumb. I still need work done and the scare in my eyes, is a warning from GOD to pay much closer attention to the problems these cars have and how I will be affected when something extremely crazy happens, I must be honest I need to creat a plan B because Plan A (drive and cross my fingures) isnt cutting it.

·
Premium Member
2012 C300 Sport 4Matic and 2003 CLK430 Cabrio
1,919 Posts
I also did that years ago. I put 8qts of oil in and checked the dip stick, Bone dry. I forgot to put the plug in.:mad:

·
Registered
My Two Left Feet
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wonder what else has people done that they can laugh at a couple of repair bills later$$...its not to bad in my case, but I put the dip stick in to check if its safe to drive and wow oil was realy dark, need to get it changed this friday

·
Registered
1997 E320, 1997 S320
2,946 Posts
well, i don't think anyone has messed up with cars as many times as my older brother. he actually put gasoline in my dad's 240d at least 3 different times. he also drove my previous s320 for about 15 blocks while it had a flat tire, and didn't even figure it out.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Back many years ago I had a friend who had changed oil in his (even then it was old) car, can't remember the make, but it was when oil caps had breather elements in them and they were pretty big -- and made of steel. (I'm thinking it was a Ford product, but I can't remember for sure; I do recall is was a pretty large V8.)

He removed the oil cap and set it on the air cleaner and proceeded to add the requisite 5 quarts of oil. Checked it, looked fine, so he slammed the hood.

That oil cap put one big dent in his hood.

Bent the air-cleaner stud, too.

I thought that was a pretty bone-headed move. :)

·
W210 Moderator
99 E320
5,202 Posts
i'll see you brother's goof and raise you absent minded stupidity....

I was changing the springs recently....rushing to get it done to get to a meeting.
discovered I installed a front spring in the rear spring perch. had two sets of
springs so didn't notice it until I studied the box of springs wondering why I
had an odd number of unequal length springs in the box.

I got to my meeting in time.....with grease still under my nails. I kept them on
my lap and under the table most of the time, trying to clean them with a paper
clip.

{sooo stoopid}

·
Registered
1997 E420
300 Posts
When I worked at a Pontiac dealership, one of our mechanics forgot to put the oil filter in a customer's Grand Am after an oil change. He realized it a few minutes after the customer drove off. The customer was easy to find; there was a trail of oil following him out of the parking lot. The mechanic found him in a Kmart parking lot a half mile away. He installed the oil filter in the parking lot, waited for the customer to come out, then asked him to come back to the dealership and top off his oil.

The customer was a good sport about it and though it was pretty funny. He might not have thought so if he had gone much farther than the Kmart.

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
When I add gas, I gently drape the filler cap over the open filler door so it won't scratch anything. Well, one time I forgot to screw it back on, drove off and was quickly accelerating up a highway entrance ramp when I heard a loud bang. The door had closed and tried to lock itself back, thereby pinching the cord and that left the cap hanging on the outside. It made a little mark in the area (I think only I would notice it) and I certainly felt stupid about that move.

·
Registered
My Two Left Feet
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
raymond- said:
i'll see you brother's goof and raise you absent minded stupidity....

I was changing the springs recently....rushing to get it done to get to a meeting.
discovered I installed a front spring in the rear spring perch. had two sets of
springs so didn't notice it until I studied the box of springs wondering why I
had an odd number of unequal length springs in the box.

I got to my meeting in time.....with grease still under my nails. I kept them on
my lap and under the table most of the time, trying to clean them with a paper
clip.

{sooo stoopid}

Wow, this is getting good, I dont feel so bad after all...LOL...LOL:D I like the meeting story, I can totaly relate to rushing, but doing something super odd b4 the meeting that would make me late...LOL

·
Registered
My Two Left Feet
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Musikmann said:
When I add gas, I gently drape the filler cap over the open filler door so it won't scratch anything. Well, one time I forgot to screw it back on, drove off and was quickly accelerating up a highway entrance ramp when I heard a loud bang. The door had closed and tried to lock itself back, thereby pinching the cord and that left the cap hanging on the outside. It made a little mark in the area (I think only I would notice it) and I certainly felt stupid about that move.

wow, yeah, Im with you on that. I could see that happening.

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
One more ticket on that train please

slybydesignw210 said:
wow, yeah, Im with you on that. I could see that happening.
Haha, I have another one. My 1991 Toyota Camry does not have a cord attaching the filler cap to the car, so I lay it upside down on the trunklid. One time after refueling I drove off without replacing it. When I got home (luckily only 1/2 mile) I saw the door open and noticed the missing cap. I drove straght back to the station (it was raining which added to the misery) and found the cap on the side of the road. I am still using it, but something sprung in it and it doesn't screw on and off as well as it used to.

Do you have any more tickets for the stupid train because it looks like I'll need 2?

·
W210 Moderator
99 E320
5,202 Posts
buying two stupid train tickets isn't cost effective for me. I actually have earned
frequent rail mileage. :)

Working on the truck one day and had the 4x4 up on a short ramp. Worked
late into the evening and needed more light so i opened the garage door....
a swing up design....and it ripped the canopy door (which was open) backwards
and tore it off the struts. It was a bear trying to fabricate and repair the mounts.

·
Registered
My Two Left Feet
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Musikmann said:
Haha, I have another one. My 1991 Toyota Camry does not have a cord attaching the filler cap to the car, so I lay it upside down on the trunklid. One time after refueling I drove off without replacing it. When I got home (luckily only 1/2 mile) I saw the door open and noticed the missing cap. I drove straght back to the station (it was raining which added to the misery) and found the cap on the side of the road. I am still using it, but something sprung in it and it doesn't screw on and off as well as it used to.

Do you have any more tickets for the stupid train because it looks like I'll need 2?
LOLOLOLOLOLOL.........ok I wanted to refrain from this one, but oh well what the heck, One day I wanted to impress my lady friend so I went looking for chrome plated hub caps, didnt know anything about cars at this time, I mean nothing, so I go buy these hub caps, and put them on right there at the store. I didnt jack the car, didnt do the cross unbulting, nothing just unscrewed all 4 caps and put the new ones on, WOW.....Well when I needed new front tires the bults broke off and "yes it was extremely dangerous" but heay I was on the "Stupid Train" back then. I swear I played dumb when Discount Tires where like how the heck did this happen, my repsonce I Dont Know Uh Uh Uh Uh Uh.......LOL.....oh she never notice a thing till I had to point out my "Fancy Hub Caps"....LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL. Never again

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Musikmann said:
MM, are you talking about your benz? Mine has a little spring-clip inside the filler door to hold the cap. If not that's an easy one to see happening.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
I've hopped aboard a few times myself.

The strongest memory I have was actually repairing someone else's train ticket.

My then-girlfriend (soon to be fiance, thereafter to be the breaker-upper) had been involved in a minor front-end accident that had taken out the fan and radiator and the car had been taken to the dealer. Thereafter I was doing some maintenance work on the car and noticed that when I revved the engine that air was pushing out the front of the car. So I shut it off, and -- no lie -- the dealer's body shop had installed the fan backwards. I call the GF, she says she has noticed it running a little warm -- well, duh -- and I R&R'd the fan.

Now here's my boneheaded story about that may itself be worthy of a premium ticket.

One of the things I did that day was to put the car up on ramps to change the ATF. I'd added fluid but wanted it level without starting the car, so I figured I'd push it off the ramp. I know what you're already thinking, but you're wrong, plenty of runoff room in the driveway, besides I was going to have the door open a bit so I could jump in and hit the brake, just in case. Anyway, the car was in my mom's carport (need some shade in sunny Phoenix!) and I started rocking it to get some momentum. Then as it started to come off of the ramp it hit me suddenly in the shoulder, opening the door further, which then hit the middle post supporting the roof structure for the house, bending the bottom corner of the door, cutting a gouge into the post -- and here's the premium -- ripping the post from it's mooring bolts and sliding it off of the edge of the concrete to about a 10" drop below.

With some ingenuity I was able to get the post back up on the carport and straighten the door, but the gouge remains to this day. Luckily there was no structural damage to the house.

Of course the AT was fine. :)

Take care and enjoy the (train) ride,
Greg

·
Registered
E250 Bluetec Sprinter250 Bluetec
37,248 Posts
The stupidest thing I did was on Volvo.
I parked it on our slightly sloping driveway and worked on something on the engine, that require disconnecting fuel lane.
After I completed the job, I restarted the engine and went under the hood to discover that I forgot to reconnect the fuel lane and it is pushing the gas under the car. I turned the engine off, reconnected the fuel lane and was THINKING about hosing the gas from the driveway, but than since it didn't catch the fire on the first start.....
So, sitting on passenger seat, with my legs on the ground I leaned over and turned the key. Few seconds after the engine started I felt some warmth on my legs. I turned around to see whole under-body of the car in flames.
Took me 1/2 second to chose between running away and grabbing extinguisher I have hanging on my garage. Fortunately extinguisher was working and it wasn't that much gasoline on the driveway afterall.
Saved new Mercedes in the garage ;)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts