Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 40 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
Baby
9,689 Posts
good find drew

yosey- dont forget most races enslaved their own kind back then and most slaves could earn their freedom. slavery in America was different since it was based on the color of your skin and you could never earn your freedom. also what was different was their children were born into slavery.

keyhole- imagine a large portion of Americas able bodied men and women were taken or killed for about 200 years during our country's early years what state would WE be in as a country today?
Very good point. Thankfully Civility prevailed.

What about the Native Americans ? The lands that we own probably belong to some tribe now in a reservation somewhere.

Well The Indians can learn how to deal. :eek:

No really, the Native Americans got a raw deal. and still do!

·
Registered
Baby
9,689 Posts
Okay, allow me to retell this one:

An electrician is traveling out west and needs to find a place to pee. He stops at an Indian village and asks to use the restroom. An old Indian woman tells him he can use the outhouse but be careful there is no lights. He goes to the out house and when he comes back he tells her that for being so nice and letting him use the restroom he ran electric to the outhouse for her.

This was significant because it turns out that he was the first person to "wire a head for a reservation"

·
Banned
PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
17,697 Posts

·
Cruise Control
'87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
52,233 Posts
I assume by ‘NOW’ you’re referring to the deplorable state of Africa today. The question cannot be answered because the issue then was Colonialism, not slavery. Had Africa not been colonized it’s possible the indigenous people would have created stable societies. The Nation-State is a European invention, and does not work well for the entire world.

Regardless, it would be nice to come to the United States under one’s own volition as the rest of the world.
Thanks for that. I was about to make the same point in response.

·
Banned
PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
17,697 Posts
Thanks for that. I was about to make the same point in response.

You will make the trip to Lawrence, Kansas one day...........it will not be on your own volition.............

·
Registered
2002 ML 320
173 Posts
Hard as it was for the slaves, I think the Native Americans had it worse.
Slavery has been part of Human History and still exists in many forms in small parts of the World. Ugly and shameful as it is, it made undeniable contribution to the foundation of this country's economy. Are the descendants of the Africans who were captured and sold by their fellow Africans to European slave traders and then transported to the New World better off than their fellow Africans who continue to live in the African Continent? In 2008 A.D., the answer is yes.

The government authorized genocide against the Native Americans was criminal and atrocious but little attention was given to this dark chapter of Human History. I used Human History as the basis not US History because the magnitude of the systematic slaughter, it should go down in World History as one of the worst war crimes in History.

·
Moderately subtle
94 E500, 97 500SL
12,081 Posts
Okay, allow me to retell this one:

An electrician is traveling out west and needs to find a place to pee. He stops at an Indian village and asks to use the restroom. An old Indian woman tells him he can use the outhouse but be careful there is no lights. He goes to the out house and when he comes back he tells her that for being so nice and letting him use the restroom he ran electric to the outhouse for her.

This was significant because it turns out that he was the first person to "wire a head for a reservation"
GROAN . . .:bowdown:

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,367 Posts
Slavery has been part of Human History and still exists in many forms in small parts of the World. Ugly and shameful as it is, it made undeniable contribution to the foundation of this country's economy. Are the descendants of the Africans who were captured and sold by their fellow Africans to European slave traders and then transported to the New World better off than their fellow Africans who continue to live in the African Continent? In 2008 A.D., the answer is yes.
I'm sure you are right. I seem to recall that after the publication of the novel ROOTS, several Afro-American idealists did go to Africa to live, but soon returned to the civilisation of the US, both sadder and wiser...

The government authorized genocide against the Native Americans was criminal and atrocious but little attention was given to this dark chapter of Human History. I used Human History as the basis not US History because the magnitude of the systematic slaughter, it should go down in World History as one of the worst war crimes in History.
But seen from the POV of the founding settlers, who were themselves often desperate, it was all a question of - Them or Us?

·
190E, SLK350
66,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I'm sure you are right. I seem to recall that after the publication of the novel ROOTS, several Afro-American idealists did go to Africa to live, but soon returned to the civilisation of the US, both sadder and wiser...

But seen from the POV of the founding settlers, who were themselves often desperate, it was all a question of - Them or Us?
What about Liberia, now that's a cluster fuk

·
Registered
1973 450 SL
5,453 Posts
Yes We, because We didn't put a stop to it as long as We had sugar in our tea, the cotton was being picked and labor cost was depressed by FORCE.
Yes We, we are all guilty, even if my ancestors never owned or traded slaves but they stood there waiting for someone else to take up their cause.
Such an ignorant statement. My ancestors didn't do anything to feel guilty about. In fact 360,000 gave their lives to put a stop to "it".

·
190E, SLK350
66,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Such an ignorant statement. My ancestors didn't do anything to feel guilty about. In fact 360,000 gave their lives to put a stop to "it".
ahem, let me remind you that the Civil War was NOT just about slavery:rolleyes:

·
190E, SLK350
66,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Well, you can apportion the losses in any ratio you want. Regardless, the war stopped slavery.
It was courage that stopped slavery but that did not end hate; that will take even more courage.

·
Premium Member
U took the old religion from the woman on the hill.
43,646 Posts
I'm with the ancient Greeks in regards to slavery.

·
Registered
E-ZGO 53 HP., 99 E 430 sport, 04 E55 AMG, 2008 Tahoe LTZ Sold Porsche to Brother
1,906 Posts
ahem, let me remind you that the Civil War was NOT just about slavery:rolleyes:
++1 The union ship builders and shipping companies made all the money in the slave trade, at the time it was one of the largest revenue generators for the North.

On a lighter note, Bank of America no longer makes sub prime loans to the slave trade.

·
190E, SLK350
66,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
++1 The union ship builders and shipping companies made all the money in the slave trade, at the time it was one of the largest revenue generators for the North.

On a lighter note, Bank of America no longer makes sub prime loans to the slave trade.
Yes, hypocrisy was very much part of the fabric of our society back then as much as it is now

21 - 40 of 112 Posts