Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the regulars 'round these here parts know by now, I love driving my '03 S600 TT. It's to the point that this weekend, I had a driving itch that just needed to be scratched.

This last weekend, from early Friday morning to Sunday night, we had a power outage. Yep, basically a nearly 3-day power outage. It was like Gilligan's Island, almost "not a single luxury". :grin Fortunately, the stove is gas and does light with a match, so that wasn't a problem.

Anyhoo, Sunday evening, after overhauling the Civic's cooling system and pulling up to my house, I saw that V-12 sitting there. It was sitting there calling out to me. It said, "T...T...it's been three days since you've driven me! Why do you forsake me for so long?

"Don't you love me anymore?"

The call had to be heeded. I thought, OK, I'll take it on a pure pleasure-cruise maybe about half-hour out and half-hour back, just to where the speed limit changes to 70 mph. So, I got onto Interstate 66 and began to drive.

Half an hour later, I got to the 70 mph area, and I saw the off-ramp so I could turn around and go back.

I did not take the exit. The car's siren call of its V-12 harmonics were just like the Sirens of legend. The suspension and the luxurious leather seats wrapped around me in a way that I could not say no. The drive continued. Strangely, traffic doesn't seem to strictly follow the posted speed limits. I'm not in any way saying that I exceeded any speed limits or broke any laws, which I would *NEVER, EVER* do. Just an observation about others. :wink

Soon, I was 70 miles from home. It was then that I realized I had to turn back. Fortunately, the car agreed. However, while getting back on the freeway after the U-turn, the car demanded a certain level of exercise when getting on the freeway's on-ramp. The gas pedal strangely met the floor, the turbos spun up, I got jerked back into my seat, and the car catapulted forward in a most satisfying manner. After that, I demanded that the car stop its mischievous shenanigans and told it to behave. The car seemed to smugly smile at that as it complied.

We got back to my house, and both car and driver felt much better. Mission Accomplished.

This is the joy of owning a Mercedes-Benz W220. Any other S-class likely gives a similarly satisfying feeling, because this is what they all were designed to do. I had no idea until I drove Dad's car from Las Vegas out to its new home in Virginia. That experience taught me why people buy, maintain, and most importantly, drive these cars. Short of a Rolls-Royce, it's hard to beat.

When a car seduces you like the S600 TT did to me this last weekend, you know you have the right car. And yes, the S430 did something similar to me last year.

Long live the W220 SonderKlasse.

·
W220 Moderator
5,531 Posts
Hi,

My sentiments entirely, you cannot beat a quick W220, C215 or R230 :grin
@tusabes , bummer man, :crying
Reminds me of the Aussie, "Kevin 'Bloody' Wilson" Song ...............

"The Local Cops A Cnut" :devil

I always say, it's like they haven't got better things to do :frown

Cheers Dave

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
@tusabes:

Ow, that sucks. Sorry 'bout that. :eek:

Had they been present when the S430 had demanded its version, I probably would've lost my license. @Kraut56, without admitting to anything...let's just say I've got some idea how you felt. :wink

Given the capabilities of today's cars, there should be certain "high speed" lanes to accommodate cars like ours. Sort of an "express" lane setup with minimal entries and exits designed for those driving on longer trips. The Germans got that right, and Sammy Hagar definitely had it right with that song of his.

I tell ya, folks, doing 55 miles/hr in a Mercedes-Benz feels slower than Cecil the Turtle...and I mean without his rockets!

"Wasn't goin' that fast, officer...nope nope nope nope...."

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
100mph is well into "super speeder" territory in Georgia, which gets real expensive real fast!

Did the officer give you a break by dropping the actual speed a bit?

My wife got tagged by the GSP doing 81 in a 45 zone. She was being very apologetic, and he was nice enough to drop the quoted speed down to 60, which made things a lot better for her.

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
Yes the officer was nice and said he lowered the cited speed compared to what he saw , so it would not be an additional point with increased fines

·
Registered
817 Posts
Your car must have been calling to my cl600 coupe this weekend , as it too demanded I take her out in the road and let the turbos free

Unfortunately the local authorities didn't seem too keen on this
The way things are going ..

If yours and @cowboyt car can communicate,

then they must meet

maybe if left alone for while, may give birth to A class baby car !

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Well, given how well the W211 E320 CDI cruised on this last July's road trip, I wouldn't mind if it grew up to be an E55 AMG. That'd be OK, too. No, not quite as ultra-comfy as a W220 or W215, but definitely not bad. Not bad at all. :)

BTW, now that the S600 is back together, it's been trying to seduce me again into allowing unruly behaviour. This is a very, VERY naughty car. The S430 is somewhat better behaved, but it, too, has its moments.

The fiance's S500 has thoroughly corrupted her at this point. She quite enjoys it when someone's tailgating her on the highway and the car's response is mashing its own gas pedal to the floor. It's the car doing this, you all understand; she is completely innocent. This is the same one that's getting the Erisin Android 7.1.1 head unit. It, too, is a very naughty automobile. W220's seem to be such, generally.

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A guy at the local auto parts shop has now also been corrupted by--er, seduced by--er, persuaded of the merits of W220's, and in particular twin-turbo Mercedes-Benz V12's. I allowed him to drive mine. Big mistake. First, he asked me, "how much for this car??" After I chuckled, which he completely understood, he is now shopping for one as well.

I did recommend to him that he also consider an S500, since he likes performance, and he's open to that as well. He knows about the work I had been doing on the wife-to-be's car, and she's sung him its praises. Given that do get some ice and snow here, and since I've forewarned him about the 722.9 transmission's relative DIY-unfriendliness, he's considering either a 2003 RWD, or a 2003-2006 4Matic. We'll see what happens. But the seed has been planted....muahahahahahahaaaaa!!!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
A guy at the local auto parts shop has now also been corrupted by--er, seduced by--er, persuaded of the merits of W220's, and in particular twin-turbo Mercedes-Benz V12's. I allowed him to drive mine. Big mistake. First, he asked me, "how much for this car??" After I chuckled, which he completely understood, he is now shopping for one as well.

I did recommend to him that he also consider an S500, since he likes performance, and he's open to that as well. He knows about the work I had been doing on the wife-to-be's car, and she's sung him its praises. Given that do get some ice and snow here, and since I've forewarned him about the 722.9 transmission's relative DIY-unfriendliness, he's considering either a 2003 RWD, or a 2003-2006 4Matic. We'll see what happens. But the seed has been planted....muahahahahahahaaaaa!!!!
Why would you push a W220 on this poor soul? Do you not like him? Does misery love company? Or, are you just a heartless Foul Insulting Language Deleted by Moderator that enjoys the suffering of others??

That being said. My neighbor up the block has a 2003 RWD S500 with the AMG package. It's a gorgeous car that he has taken well care of. He told me it has cost him thousands of dollars to get it dialed in over the years. But once he got it there it's been a pleasure to drive

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
374 Posts
My neighbor across the street bought a brand new 2019 Corvette. He's pretty pleased with it (and it is a very nice car).

For a shade over $60,000, he's got a car that has almost as much HP, almost as much torque, as my 14 year old luxury sedan. Side by side, they'll run 0-60 in about the same time. He can stop more quickly, and turn a bit harder.

But he hasn't got the ride, or the luxury, of my car, that cost a fraction of what his did.

The only thing to do in this case is admire the car, and smile, knowing that the twin-turbo beast in my driveway has yet to meet its equal...

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
@The Thomas J: Yeah, I guess I am a "Foul Insulting Language Deleted by Moderator" for doing that, huh? Heh heh! :grin But I do understand what you're saying. No worries. :wink

To be fair, yes, it did require just north of US $7,500 or so to get the S600 into "good repair", after purchase. Without SDS and DIY, it would have been in the tens of thousands, just for that car; I believe the most recent estimate is about US $30,000. The '03 S430 required right around $6,000, including both front wheel hub assemblies and brake discs that I just did over the last couple of weekends. The project 2000 S500 has also required about $6K, including the Android head unit, new speakers, and new amp for the rear woofer. Dad's car has required about $3,000 so far, due to the low miles on it (88,000).

But here's the thing, and I think it's the point that both you and @Astro14 are making here. The cars don't give me any trouble now. They are utterly trustworthy. We just get in 'em and drive anywhere, any time, without a thought; today was the S600's turn to go to work with me (she drove it last Sunday, to her great delight). And they're so damned luxurious that they're seductive. Astro's point about the Corvette really is true, and given that Vettes are nice cars, that's a statement. The fiance's S500 routinely outruns "lesser vehicles" when she must call upon it to do so....and she does it with heated seats, tank-level safety for her, and an air suspension, for half the price of that new Civic.

BTW, @Astro14, I'd love to get a gander at that Packard of yours one of these days!

·
Registered
32 Posts
@The Thomas J: Yeah, I guess I am a "Foul Insulting Language Deleted by Moderator" for doing that, huh? Heh heh! :grin But I do understand what you're saying. No worries. :wink

To be fair, yes, it did require just north of US $7,500 or so to get the S600 into "good repair", after purchase. Without SDS and DIY, it would have been in the tens of thousands, just for that car; I believe the most recent estimate is about US $30,000. The '03 S430 required right around $6,000, including both front wheel hub assemblies and brake discs that I just did over the last couple of weekends. The project 2000 S500 has also required about $6K, including the Android head unit, new speakers, and new amp for the rear woofer. Dad's car has required about $3,000 so far, due to the low miles on it (88,000).

But here's the thing, and I think it's the point that both you and @Astro14 are making here. The cars don't give me any trouble now. They are utterly trustworthy. We just get in 'em and drive anywhere, any time, without a thought; today was the S600's turn to go to work with me (she drove it last Sunday, to her great delight). And they're so damned luxurious that they're seductive. Astro's point about the Corvette really is true, and given that Vettes are nice cars, that's a statement. The fiance's S500 routinely outruns "lesser vehicles" when she must call upon it to do so....and she does it with heated seats, tank-level safety for her, and an air suspension, for half the price of that new Civic.

BTW, @Astro14, I'd love to get a gander at that Packard of yours one of these days!
If you have deep pockets and enjoy a labor of love they are totally worth it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
627 Posts
I have never EVER experienced a car like this. Bi turbo 6.0 liter with a Kleemann tune netting 750 hp/840 tq with the top down cannot be described, it must be experienced! Yes, I'm bragging ☺

My sad little car is back on the lift (part of the fun for me as I love to tinker) waiting on the turbo coolant oring. Hopefully it will be here tomorrow. Then, back at it!!!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
About this Discussion
28 Replies
15 Participants
Dave2302
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing