Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
05 500
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The rear of my SL400 has always had a tendency to slide laterally when I go over bumps. Severity depends on bump size and speed, generally uncomfortable, but one of those things I have learnt to live with. This happens in all drive modes, all sport settings. No air suspension on mine.

Soon after I bought the car (still in warranty), I took her to my local MB shop, explained the issue, and asked for complete suspension check. Nothing wrong could be found. Additionally, they went through the whole car and couldn't report any system issue which would point to my concern. I did an alignment to fix what looked like uneven wear on inside fronts. Turned out to be a small off-toe issue on one front side.

Shortly later, I replaced the OEM Conti SSRs with Michelin Pilot Sport. (non SSR). The problem is still there, to a point where I'm getting nervous driving the car.

What would cause a car like this to be so unstable at the rear when I hit a bump, at pretty much any speed? By instability, the rear end shifts laterally, mostly towards the passenger side then recovers very quickly. Shocks? Broken spring on one side?

·
Registered
2014 SL500 AMG Sportline
5 Posts
The rear of my SL400 has always had a tendency to slide laterally when I go over bumps. Severity depends on bump size and speed, generally uncomfortable, but one of those things I have learnt to live with. This happens in all drive modes, all sport settings. No air suspension on mine.

Soon after I bought the car (still in warranty), I took her to my local MB shop, explained the issue, and asked for complete suspension check. Nothing wrong could be found. Additionally, they went through the whole car and couldn't report any system issue which would point to my concern. I did an alignment to fix what looked like uneven wear on inside fronts. Turned out to be a small off-toe issue on one front side.

Shortly later, I replaced the OEM Conti SSRs with Michelin Pilot Sport. (non SSR). The problem is still there, to a point where I'm getting nervous driving the car.

What would cause a car like this to be so unstable at the rear when I hit a bump, at pretty much any speed? By instability, the rear end shifts laterally, mostly towards the passenger side then recovers very quickly. Shocks? Broken spring on one side?
Feature of the car unfortunately, my SL550 does the same but it takes a large bump to set it off...

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
05 500
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Feature of the car unfortunately, my SL550 does the same but it takes a large bump to set it off...

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
Thanks. I am coming to agree that it's just a feature of the car.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts