Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
13,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is one of my most favorite songs. The guys voice is awesome. He is the nephew of the the legend Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Good find. Sounds a lot like his uncle.

I was turned on to Nusrat when I heard him on a Peter Gabriel album (Passion Sources), have since found more of his work. Quite a voice, pity he had to leave the world so soon.

·
Registered
13,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I was turned on to Nusrat when I heard him on a Peter Gabriel album (Passion Sources), have since found more of his work. Quite a voice, pity he had to leave the world so soon
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
13,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I was turned on to Nusrat when I heard him on a Peter Gabriel album (Passion Sources), have since found more of his work. Quite a voice, pity he had to leave the world so soon.

·
Registered
13,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

THIS is an excellent one. The guy really is a legend.

·
Registered
13,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

The magic starts at time 2:15

·
Premium Member
43,635 Posts
Shit. I was just kinda getting use to Latin music, now I have to learn another one? This is all too much for my redneck ass.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Nusrat was a most interesting person. His family (and a large one at that) is part of the Sufi sect, a flavor of Islam that revels in music. Quite a contrast from the Taliban who said music was evil (unless you were a Taliban leader, they had killer sound systems in their cars). He caught a lot of flack for close contacts with western society (taught some classes in the US), and recording a westernized album (Mustt Mustt, quite listenable) but the critique didn't deter him, as he believed that music was a way to bring cultures together.

Off of that same Peter Gabriel album that introduced me to Nusrat, I also came across a beautiful piece by a Senegalese singer with a magical voice, Baaba Maal. Here's a rather hypnotic song of his, has a slightly latin flavor to it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts