Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

141 - 160 of 176 Posts

·
Registered
sl500 sport
215 Posts
For those who don't know me, I own a 2002 SL500 Silver Arrow which is extensively modified. Through the modding process I've managed to reach 572HP (469rwhp) and have been very happy with the results...

Recently I've been craving more and am dead set on reaching 600HP, so I figured I'd play the mod game one last time.
This is where I'm at so far:

Intake Enlargement
I've already upgraded to an MB 82mm throttle body but plan on sending it to maxbore.com and having it enlarged to 85mm. The elbow attached to the TB has been upgraded to an MB550 unit. And we've recently fabricated a custom 95mm MAF housing which mates perfectly to the elbow. I just need to fabricate a larger Y pipe and that should do it for the intake mods

Forged Pistons and Larger Displacement
I purchased a used AMG 5.5L motor for a good price and had it completely torn down.
I sent a stock piston over to Mahle and had them make an over-sized set of forged pistons. I received them about a month ago and sent them (along with the block) out to be bored and honed to a 5.6L. I should have everything back in a few weeks.

Head Porting
In the past I've always had great results whenever I opened up her intake components. So I've decided to port and polish the heads.
Recently I've met the head porter responsible for some of the fastest cars on Dragtimes. He should be finished with my heads by next week.
are you using stock diff and drive shaft ? thinking about the conversion, let us know

·
Greek God of the R129
SL500-500SEL-190E
8,541 Posts
After nearly 2 years worth of waiting the car is nearly completed.
The AMG blower was giving the tuner a hard time but its pretty much dialed in just waiting for the dyno resiults.
Heres some pics of the car getting ready to be picked up by transport (from Huston TX)

WOT on the dyno:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fi3lzF3lRHM&feature=youtu.be

Hopefully I'll have more updates real soon :)

Alex,

I admire your patience, persistence, and not to mention, expense...

I love cars.
But, I would have abandoned the project.

Hats off, my friend.

Wish you the best.

Regards,
aam.

·
Registered
SUPERCHARGED Silver Arrow
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #143 (Edited)
are you using stock diff and drive shaft ? thinking about the conversion, let us know
Yes, the entire drive train remains stock.
Alex,

I admire your patience, persistence, and not to mention, expense...

I love cars.
But, I would have abandoned the project.

Hats off, my friend.

Wish you the best.

Regards,
aam.
The only way I got by was to keep busy modifying my CLS :)

Reactions: aam and monkeymerc

·
Undercover Moderator
2002 SL BRABUS 5.8 Silver Arrow; 1992 SL BRABUS B11; 1996 S Class diplomat ride
5,386 Posts
great to see you back in action Alex...:thumbsup:.

We missed you...:)...

·
Registered
1990 500SL
225 Posts
unbelievable that stock parts can take 2x the power
plaah that is normal engineering in the 90s. My Saab has 3x stock power and there is countless japanes 90s inline six turbo cars 2x..3x power with stock drivetrain. :wink

But back to topic, it seems that for M113 there is nice tuning packages available like this:

https://www.gmpperformance.com/index.cfm?PG=detail&PID=142108

For M119 folks path to 500hp league is much harder, nothing is available, everything is custom parts.

·
Registered
sl500 sport
215 Posts
plaah that is normal engineering in the 90s. My Saab has 3x stock power and there is countless japanes 90s inline six turbo cars 2x..3x power with stock drivetrain. :wink

But back to topic, it seems that for M113 there is nice tuning packages available like this:

https://www.gmpperformance.com/index.cfm?PG=detail&PID=142108

For M119 folks path to 500hp league is much harder, nothing is available, everything is custom parts.

that's why I love my r129:devil

·
Registered
2000 Obsidian Black Metallic Mercedes SL 320 V6
4,532 Posts
After nearly 2 years worth of waiting the car is nearly completed.
The AMG blower was giving the tuner a hard time but its pretty much dialed in just waiting for the dyno resiults.
Heres some pics of the car getting ready to be picked up by transport (from Huston TX)

WOT on the dyno:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fi3lzF3lRHM&feature=youtu.be

Hopefully I'll have more updates real soon :)
Hiiii Alex long time no see :D. It's a pleasure to read again about your beast and I'm honestly looking forward to see the results you'll be able to achieve :D.

You probably don't remember me as some time has passed but I guess from all the members of Benzworld ... welcome back buddy and good luck :D :thumbsup:.

Cheers.

·
Greek God of the R129
SL500-500SEL-190E
8,541 Posts
Hiiii Alex long time no see :D. It's a pleasure to read again about your beast and I'm honestly looking forward to see the results you'll be able to achieve :D.

You probably don't remember me as some time has passed but I guess from all the members of Benzworld ... welcome back buddy and good luck :D :thumbsup:.

Cheers.

Mich.

Nobody forgets old friends...

I am not so sure about the new ones. Lol.

Regards,
aam.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #150
I haven't been on the forum for a while so figured I'd post update on my Silver Arrow.
Tuning took significantly longer than expected but the car is finally dialed in and driving flawlessly with no quirks or flaws of any kind. We finished it up last year with an AEM ECU and custom engine harness and took full control over all engine and transmission parameters.
The results: @ 8lbs of boost the car made 640HP/760TQ, and at 11lbs boost it made 675HP/805TQ. I prefer the 8lb pulley because the 11lb pulley is just too much.
I've added a second heat exchanger and IC pump, and a custom 7 gallon trunk tank for cooling the supercharger.

I'm totally in love with this car

·
Registered
1997 SL500, white w/ parchment
44 Posts
I haven't been on the forum for a while so figured I'd post update on my Silver Arrow.
Tuning took significantly longer than expected but the car is finally dialed in and driving flawlessly with no quirks or flaws of any kind. We finished it up last year with an AEM ECU and custom engine harness and took full control over all engine and transmission parameters.
The results: @ 8lbs of boost the car made 640HP/760TQ, and at 11lbs boost it made 675HP/805TQ. I prefer the 8lb pulley because the 11lb pulley is just too much.
I've added a second heat exchanger and IC pump, and a custom 7 gallon trunk tank for cooling the supercharger.

share pix if you get some time

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #152
I just posted some in the pic thread

·
Registered
1999 SL500 w/Sport Package
313 Posts
The Quest for 600HP...

For those who don't know me, I own a 2002 SL500 Silver Arrow which is extensively modified. Through the modding process I've managed to reach 572HP (469rwhp) and have been very happy with the results...

Recently I've been craving more and am dead set on reaching 600HP, so I figured I'd play the mod game one last time.
This is where I'm at so far:

Intake Enlargement
I've already upgraded to an MB 82mm throttle body but plan on sending it to maxbore.com and having it enlarged to 85mm. The elbow attached to the TB has been upgraded to an MB550 unit. And we've recently fabricated a custom 95mm MAF housing which mates perfectly to the elbow. I just need to fabricate a larger Y pipe and that should do it for the intake mods

Forged Pistons and Larger Displacement
I purchased a used AMG 5.5L motor for a good price and had it completely torn down.
I sent a stock piston over to Mahle and had them make an over-sized set of forged pistons. I received them about a month ago and sent them (along with the block) out to be bored and honed to a 5.6L. I should have everything back in a few weeks.

Head Porting
In the past I've always had great results whenever I opened up her intake components. So I've decided to port and polish the heads.
Recently I've met the head porter responsible for some of the fastest cars on Dragtimes. He should be finished with my heads by next week.

Boost
Boost is ususally effected post head porting, meaning it should go down (I'm told approximately 1.5 - 1.8 pounds). I've already purchased a pulley that will bring boost up another 2.2 pounds to compensate for the loss.

I need approximately 27rwhp to match the HP rating of an SL65 (604HP), I'm hoping these mods do the trick.

Pictures and updates to follow.
What are your 0-60 and QM times now?

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #155
I haven't tracked it yet, waiting for warmer weather before I attempt a 1/4 mile pull. After driving it umpteen times fine tuning it, my tuner (Felix Modena) believes it should run mid to low 10's so we shall see. I'd be happy to get a 10.90. 0-60 is under 4 seconds, that I know.
The way this thing picks up speed is mind blowing. I designed the SC pulley hub for direct drive so the power comes on instantaneously and pulls to no end :) In 55 degree weather I punched it at 60mph in 3rd and lost traction.
On 11lbs boost the Intake tempts peek at around 115 at the end of a 4th gear pull. 95-100 with the 8lb pulley. Both recover incredibly quick, the trunk tank is a major plus in performance.
The torque is incredible. You can see on dyno its got over 600rwtq from 2500-5500rpm

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
i have a ? for you i have a 98 with the 4 cam 4 valve motor. do you know anyone who can help get more hp out of it. i am thinking about putting twin turbos on it but then i have to change ecu .any off the wall ideas will help thanks

·
Undercover Moderator
2002 SL BRABUS 5.8 Silver Arrow; 1992 SL BRABUS B11; 1996 S Class diplomat ride
5,386 Posts

Once again....

It's great to see you back in action my brother.....!!

We missed you.....

Cheers, 🍺

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #158
How's it going brother... Missed you and the entire old gang too )

·
Registered
98' SL500 WDBFA67F5WF155572
38 Posts
i have a ? for you i have a 98 with the 4 cam 4 valve motor. do you know anyone who can help get more hp out of it. i am thinking about putting twin turbos on it but then i have to change ecu .any off the wall ideas will help thanks
Port & polish throttle body to 82mm ($250), bigger air box, modified valve body for quicker shifts ($750), Bergwerks nitrous (1500$?), resonator delete (-30lbs), secondary cat delete (-15lbs), performance tires that are nitrogen filled, lightweight wheels, remove tire from trunk (-40lbs), replace seats with something extremely light (-215lbs). Could go hardcore and remove entire softtop & assembly (-200lbs+?).

If I were you I would just get a throttle body port/polish & change air filter to complement it & maybe resonator/2ndary cat delete for a definite acceleration boost.

Weight reduction is up to you. 🤠 My m119 SL is very high mileage with dents and stuff so I've replaced seats and took out softtop, removed cats, muffler, resonator, tire, etc..
It's more of an experimental toy. I'll be doing the port/polish soon & hopefully the valve body. If it is daily drivable after all that I'll do the same to a 2001.

I am currently saving up for a low mileage 2001 Sl500, which I will swap to a 5.5, shift kit, custom throttle body and I will keep it as a garage queen.

Maxbore.com

141 - 160 of 176 Posts