Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 176 Posts

·
Registered
SUPERCHARGED Silver Arrow
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The Quest for 600HP...

For those who don't know me, I own a 2002 SL500 Silver Arrow which is extensively modified. Through the modding process I've managed to reach 572HP (469rwhp) and have been very happy with the results...

Recently I've been craving more and am dead set on reaching 600HP, so I figured I'd play the mod game one last time.
This is where I'm at so far:

Intake Enlargement
I've already upgraded to an MB 82mm throttle body but plan on sending it to maxbore.com and having it enlarged to 85mm. The elbow attached to the TB has been upgraded to an MB550 unit. And we've recently fabricated a custom 95mm MAF housing which mates perfectly to the elbow. I just need to fabricate a larger Y pipe and that should do it for the intake mods

Forged Pistons and Larger Displacement
I purchased a used AMG 5.5L motor for a good price and had it completely torn down.
I sent a stock piston over to Mahle and had them make an over-sized set of forged pistons. I received them about a month ago and sent them (along with the block) out to be bored and honed to a 5.6L. I should have everything back in a few weeks.

Head Porting
In the past I've always had great results whenever I opened up her intake components. So I've decided to port and polish the heads.
Recently I've met the head porter responsible for some of the fastest cars on Dragtimes. He should be finished with my heads by next week.

Boost
Boost is ususally effected post head porting, meaning it should go down (I'm told approximately 1.5 - 1.8 pounds). I've already purchased a pulley that will bring boost up another 2.2 pounds to compensate for the loss.

I need approximately 27rwhp to match the HP rating of an SL65 (604HP), I'm hoping these mods do the trick.

Pictures and updates to follow.

Reactions: Aardvarkologist

·
Undercover Moderator
2002 SL BRABUS 5.8 Silver Arrow; 1992 SL BRABUS B11; 1996 S Class diplomat ride
5,386 Posts
You should not have any problem reaching 600+hp.....:thumbsup:

Good luck Alex hopefully all the hard work pay off....:)

·
Registered
2001 SL500 - Black Sport (SOLD). 2002 SL500 (SOLD).
384 Posts
After you attain 600 hp, you could strap on a pair of wings and I bet you could fly to China! Good luck!

·
Sith Lord
72 280SE 88 560SEC 92 E500 6.0 95 SL320 14 GLK350
11,814 Posts
With everything you're planning to do, the 600+ seems reachable.

·
Registered
1985 380 SL, 2001 SL 500, 2007 E350 Sport, 2008 T & C Ltd
931 Posts
...the 600+ seems reachable.
With your track record TT, who would think otherwise? Pics when you have the opportunity. I know you're enjoying the process

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the inspirational words guys. I am having a lot of fun with this.

The cooling upgrades have already been addressed (larger heat exchanger, more efficient inter-cooler core, and a Johnson CM30 Pump wired for constant circulation).

What I like about this round of modding is having the extra engine. It allows me to continue enjoying my SL while the upgrades are being worked on.
Once everything is ready, we pull out the old motor and replace it with the new one.

·
Registered
SL500, CL55, E350, E320
3,205 Posts
I thought you had the 55 engine on already a while back ... did you take it back out? Or did you get the second 55?

How about car-diet?

·
Undercover Moderator
5,386 Posts
I thought you had the 55 engine on already a while back ... did you take it back out? Or did you get the second 55?

How about car-diet?
I lost track of how many time Alex pull off his motor and taking it apart....lol...

5 or 6 time maybe...:D.?? correct me if I'm wrong Alex.....:)

·
Registered
1991 R129 500SL
1,940 Posts
hi Alex,

I think that the 27hp gain is on the conservative side, with what you plan to do.
Can't wait for the pics and dyno chart!

Best of luck! :thumbsup: + :bowdown:

·
Sith Lord
72 280SE 88 560SEC 92 E500 6.0 95 SL320 14 GLK350
11,814 Posts
Simple math tells you Alex will be having two and a half the power of whatever is under my hood :D

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Inquyenh: The reason I keep dodging the diet is because I don't want to sacrifice the ride quality and comfort of my SL. Going with lightweight seats (for example) will make the ride too harsh for my taste. I'm gonna leave it be for now.

Tony: This will be my 4th engine swap.
Unfortunately I cracked a couple of pistons in my 5L and 5.5L. The cast pistons will not hold up to the boost level I'm seeking, thus the decision to go forged. I also resolved a fueling issue which I believe contributed to the piston failure.

Currently I have 3 engines (the original 5.0L and two 5.5L) The 5.5L with forged JE pistons is currently under the bonnet, I'm working on the spare 5.5L.

Mountie55: I always run Sunoco 93

·
Registered
1999 SL500 1995 SL500 2011 E350
126 Posts
You dont think the recaro seats are comfortable Tech-Tune? I heard they were great but never tried them for myself.
From what I remember the original seats are roughly 100lbs each.I'm sure you can find seats that weigh half that. Although I'm not sure how you would set up seat belts.
Show us some pics.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Ported Heads

Heads are done, just needs a bit more cleaning.
The porter is estimating 60HP, I'll be happy with 30.

EDIT: The gaskets were also port matched.

Attachments

·
Registered
Sold1990 500sl - 1992 300sl 1999 sl 500
1,545 Posts
Looking forward to reading and seeing pics of this next stage,glad to see you are not going the easy lighter body way and going for hp ,must be great to have all that hp, your efforts so far have been great :thumbsup:

·
Undercover Moderator
5,386 Posts
shiny head Alex......:thumbsup: I just got back from my vacation..... I hope didn't miss anything.....:D

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
No.... just the heads and pulley are in.
Still waiting on the pistons and block to get done before we can start assembling the new motor. Thats when the fun begins.

1 - 20 of 176 Posts