Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
School is done for a few weeks so I finally got my hands on the 1999 s500 w140.
Right away replaced the corner lights since one was destroyed, but they aren't as flushed as the stock one. Fixed the trunk latch so even on a soft push it'll grab and close. Blew a tree's worth of leaves out of the engine bay. Tinkered with the vacuum pump all day (might need a new one, current one is pretty janky).

Plan on fixing it up ASAP so I can ditch the Camry and ride Benz again. Plan on sanding it down since paint isn't the best, though body is straight and getting it done in black since the w140 black look great. Plan on installing a single din radio with Bluetooth and rear camera soon. Plan on getting wheels aligned.

Looking for advice on any of these current issues:
1) front cigarette lighter isn't working, the fuse is fine;
2) sunroof closes and opens but won't flush when closing as it should;
3) sunroof doesn't slide in all the way, the inside cover stops half way into the roof -even with a lot of force;
4) key isn't locking/unlocking but rather the hazards blink 3 times and nothing happens;
5) front heated seats not working, even the light isn't showing up;
6) the rear seat backrest is heated and not sure how to turn it off, the heat light is on and remains on for the seat bottoms;
7) rear headrest button doesn't do anything;
8) lock/unlock button doesn't do anything;
9) AC/heater doesn't work, though it changes sounds when the red heat or blue cold air button is pressed;
10) still need to figure out cats & o2 sensor ordeal;
11) ABS light is on even though turning traction control does work.

Any help or advice on where to start or how to fix is appreciated! I'll keep y'all updated!

Happy holidays,
- Big Chungus

·
Registered
600 SE 1992
99 Posts
Hello,

7) rear headrest button doesn't do anything;

Its a plastic piece that use to break as its not lubricated,you have to put your ears in the back part of the rear seats to be sure the electric motor runs.Or just unscrew 2 screws in the lowest part of the back seat covers to be able to see the whole mechanism to confirm the electric motor is ok and to find the plastic broken culprit.

·
Registered
2008 AMG CLK63 Conv., 2012 R350 4-Matic, Wife's 2015 C300 sedan
10,188 Posts
Short answer to all of the above is "yeah they all do that". Start with the obvious things like fuses and relays, then look for mechanical things that could stop items like the sunroof moving freely. I'd also invest in a decent code scanner, one that can at least read the codes, better still something like an Autel or ICarSoft which will allow you to clear codes as well.

As for paint, you pays your money you takes your choice. For this age of car, let's be honest, you're probably not looking too hard at the resale value, so a cheap Maaco job might do you just fine. Hopefully it won't be a trip to Home Depot for a can of oil-based and a large brush :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you guys! Looks like I have my work cut out for me. Going to go to the junkyard and see if their is stuff I can pull. And I got the scanner with clear component, but that darn o2 light never wants to leave for too long.
As for paint I'm broke so I'll have not much of a choice but to just grab cans but I'll be sure to prep it right and watch as many videos as I can before I start on that one.

·
Premium Member
'97 CL600
2,900 Posts
And you bought this car with all of its problems, because??? I would have kept looking.
Anziani

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Didn't buy it. Got it from a family friend who's wife used it as her daily then died from cancer. Sat in their driveway for like 5-10 years not being started at all. And the problems aren't that bad. It still runs and drives and it's smooth. These are just all the problems left after replacing a bunch of engine stuff and a fuel pump. So I just want to get it right before classes start!

·
Registered
1995 W140 S280
73 Posts
May I poke your brain a bit regarding the trunk latch? Mine doesn't have soft close but even so you have to slam the trunk for it to catch properly.
I've already put some grease on the hook but that doesn't seem to have helped. What did you do to yours?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
May I poke your brain a bit regarding the trunk latch? Mine doesn't have soft close but even so you have to slam the trunk for it to catch properly.
I've already put some grease on the hook but that doesn't seem to have helped. What did you do to yours?
By soft close I still have to close it but a press down instead of a slam works. And I took off the trim above the latch on the bottom, took the 3 (or 4) nuts out then just manually pressed the latch down in hand to see if it worked and would press the key lock spring to open it up again, then I just put it back. Surprisingly it was really not in place, turns out over time the bolts get loose causing it to shift.

It really isn't as hard to do as I may have written out to make it seem. But just remove the one piece of trim, take off the latch bolts and remove the latch then re adjust it higher up and tighten it up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts