Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
S55 AMG
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not my doing, A previous owner must have parked under trees a lot.
I had to remove the wiper motor because the wipers didnt park right, and when I removed the black panel, which usually breaks but didnt this time! I noticed that the whole of the underneath was covered in leaves and what looked like pine needles..
View attachment 464740
There probably are/have been worse cases than this, but I am trying to alert owners that dont know that this happens.
The trouble is that the leaves can easily block up vital drains, which can cause quite bad and quite expensive electrical problems.
Under all those leaves was this:
View attachment 464741
Although I didnt get every needle out, which would probably involved removing everything under there, I managed to get most of it out with a vacuum cleaner.
Its worth pulling the grill off the airbox and having a look down through the hole to see if anything has gathered.
I checked that the drain wasnt blocked by simply pouring a jug of water down the drain.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Yea, things like that can cause fires as well, and sap from trees can damage paint. If I've got the choice, I'll always park in the open as opposed to under a tree.

·
Registered
Jaguar STR-sold,mercedes s500L-sold,c36 amg-sold,s500 coupe-sold,cl420-sold,s320-sold,s280-sold
541 Posts
Just cleaned mine over the weekend as well :)
Nasty

·
Registered
2004 (w220) S500 & (R230) SL550 2007
646 Posts
about the wipers

I have a similar issue as they don't always park correctly & the rain sensing setting often operates erratically.

What did you find out in there?

·
Registered
S55 AMG
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a similar issue as they don't always park correctly & the rain sensing setting often operates erratically.

What did you find out in there?
Take the wiper mech out, take the cover off the gearbox by pushing the tabs, clean up the brush type contacts and the tracks with 2500 grit paper.
Mine had a lot of grease in, so you need to clean it off the parts you are cleaning up.
Its an easy job, especially if you have had the wiper mech out before, or done the duovalve.
If you have not done either of these, then I think I remember seeing instructions somewhere on the removal.
If its not been off before then expect to break the water repelant plastic panel at the bottom of the screen as they are brittle and not easy to remove, then if it doesnt break then its good.
Mine had the same problems, except that if I used auto wipers then after a few minutes the wipers would die completely and would not work unless I turned the wipers off then on again.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,978 Posts
The W220 S-Class Encyclopedia has a section on this - the title starts off "Water in Car" which is the consequence of letting the drains get plugged and then having a heavy rain - or even washing the car. There can be a lot of damage to the electronics, particularly the SAMs - $$$

·
Registered
2002 s500, 2004 S500 fourmatic
267 Posts
Thank you Astroscan. Am having the very issues of stalled wipers and was just getting ready to break the wiper assembly a part. You confirmed my suspicion.

Tower

·
Registered
2005/6 S500 4MATIC W220 - Black
40 Posts
Yes, same problem when I'm in Montenegro during summer, My driveway is under a huge tree, and I get tonnes of needles in every corner of the car imaginable collected over the 2 months its parked there. When I get beck home it takes the Car valet & Detailers hours to get all of them out. They are a huge pain :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts