Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
21 - 40 of 162 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 ·
and though you've already tossed tack strips under the karma bus, I still believe to only proper thing to do is...

X4

+

=

That feeling of contentment that sometimes comes from just having something unique in your possession, but that you can't or won't use for its intended purpose, can be a conundrum. On the one hand - it can park your $ in the value of the thing and prevent you from turning that $/value into something of equal value but that you can also actually enjoy using for its intended purpose. On the other hand, just knowing that you have a set of AMG this or rarefied that, even though they may just be stacked up, unused, in a corner of your garage in a way that may not allow you to derive pleasure from even just the aesthetic aspect of the thing, can fill you with pleasant thoughts. Sometimes you just have to take a leap of faith and believe that letting go can bring new and better opportunities and rewards.

15" Penta's PENTA/AMG/Ronal

How about 15" Penta's? What's odd is that they also came in two different designs, both with AMG part #'s. One set was 15x7 ET11 and the other 15x7 ET16, they look a good deal different. Can anyone shed light on this? I'm guessing the ET16 is the early wheel for the w123/w116. I've seen the part# listed for the w116.
Answered my own question.

Though this thread has taken a slighty different turn, I figured I'd post my findings for future reference. There were a couple 15x7 style Pentas, one made in Britain stamped "Penta" and had an ET of 11. The other is the original AMG wheel, ET16. They look drastically different, as the UK made wheel makes an effort to look more like the 16" while the AMG wheel has connections at the base of the spokes.

There was also a Ronal Penta (R9) that was 15x7 but had an ET of 25.

Photos below:
Britain "PENTA" - 15x7 ET11
AMG 7400039 (Made by ATS) - 15x7 ET16
Ronal R9 - 15x7 ET25

Attachments

There are some optical differences. The bolt holes of Pentas are a little bit wider than AMGs. Because of the smaller diameter the holes of the AMGs are often damaged.

The edges from the polished to the laquered center part are softer at Pentas.

I know that, because i´m refinishing a set of 8 + 9 x 16 AMGs and Pentas :D

Discussion starter · #27 ·
Answered my own question.

Though this thread has taken a slighty different turn, I figured I'd post my findings for future reference. There were a couple 15x7 style Pentas, one made in Britain stamped "Penta" and had an ET of 11. The other is the original AMG wheel, ET16. They look drastically different, as the UK made wheel makes an effort to look more like the 16" while the AMG wheel has connections at the base of the spokes.

There was also a Ronal Penta (R9) that was 15x7 but had an ET of 25.

Photos below:
Britain "PENTA" - 15x7 ET11
AMG 7400039 (Made by ATS) - 15x7 ET16
Ronal R9 - 15x7 ET25
of the 15" variants I prefer the Britain made units

Discussion starter · #28 ·
Roland, thanks for supporting my effort. lol :rolleyes:

What would be helpful is to know what alterations were made to stuff those under there.

48hp now im really confused version 1 / version 2 pentas ? If i run across any amg pentas ( when i have the money at the time ) which version would fit my 560 sl ? 8x16 et 11 all around is what i would like. Thanks for your help.:bowdown:

There a 2 different versions of the origianl AMG rim

AMG Five Spoke 8" Version I - suitable for all Mercedes from the 60ies up to 1985.

AMG Five Spoke 8" Version II - since 1985 larger brake calipers required more place inside the rim and therefore the star was shifted more outward. One recognizes it by the ugly edge :rolleyes:

I had version I on every Mercedes i ever owned and never had a prob with it - even with Bendix calipers...

Roland

Discussion starter · #32 ·
48hp now im really confused version 1 / version 2 pentas ? If i run across any amg pentas ( when i have the money at the time ) which version would fit my 560 sl ? 8x16 et 11 all around is what i would like. Thanks for your help.:bowdown:
quiltman, based on bondavi's post it depends:

ATE calipers = good, both Penta versions work.

Bendix calieprs = not so good, only Gen2 Pentas work.
Both AMG 8JX16 Version I and Version II are et11. The V2 wheel design accommodates for the larger caliper. This change in design affects the outward styling slightly. The spokes are raised above the lip.

Version 1 "Deep Dish" (smaller caliper)

Version 2 "Not so Deep Dish" (larger caliper)

Discussion starter · #33 ·
Discussion starter · #36 ·
AMG Five Spoke 8" Version II - since 1985 larger brake calipers required more place inside the rim and therefore the star was shifted more outward. One recognizes it by the ugly edge :rolleyes:

Roland
These are actually 9JX16 et0.

Discussion starter · #37 ·
and though you've already tossed tack strips under the karma bus, I still believe the only proper thing to do is...

X4

+

=

scratch that. with the recent acquisition of a pair of 9JX16 et0, it's down to a pair of tens, so...

X2

+

=

[/quote]

lol

and some food for thought, I'll then send you a pair of V2 Pentas to avoid your brake fitment problem and then stick the 9's in the rear. Therefore no problem. :thumbsup:

Discussion starter · #38 ·
So whilst out and about on the wide open web or on the streets with a new found understanding of the various styles and sizes, please do keep a look out for a little AMG baggy filled with a pair of these. :dance: Thank you in advance and I promise the Penta propaganda will end soon! lol

Attachments

Thanks gents for this very informative thread on "Penta" rims.

I am currently looking for a set to fit my 1986 300 SL (euro model) that has 15"x7 alloys.

I think the pentas would really finish this car.

Attachments

That feeling of contentment that sometimes comes from just having something unique in your possession, but that you can't or won't use for its intended purpose, can be a conundrum. On the one hand - it can park your $ in the value of the thing and prevent you from turning that $/value into something of equal value but that you can also actually enjoy using for its intended purpose. On the other hand, just knowing that you have a set of AMG this or rarefied that, even though they may just be stacked up, unused, in a corner of your garage in a way that may not allow you to derive pleasure from even just the aesthetic aspect of the thing, can fill you with pleasant thoughts. Sometimes you just have to take a leap of faith and believe that letting go can bring new and better opportunities and rewards.

21 - 40 of 162 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.