Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1982 Mercedes 300TD wagon
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes I find myself shutting off the stereo (or in my car's case, mono) and just listening to the engine and turbo at work. I grew up with big rumbling American V-8's and enjoyed that noise as well. There's something just so reassuring about listening to my diesel. Unlike the big V-8's I know my inline-5 probably won't give up the ghost on me without notice (not mentioning any names......chevy.....nova). I was recently in a Taco Hell drive-thru and boy does that enclosure amplify the noise! I was once asked to turn my car off because the drive-thru attendent couldn't understand what I was saying! At highway speeds the steady sound around 3 grand gives me a smile. I dunno, any of you feel this way? Strangely as also a motorcycle ethusiast, I don't like loud bikes. Most regular car owners hate the friendly chatter sound of a diesel but I liked it ever since I first drove off in my first diesel Benz in 2004. God I miss that car.

·
Registered
1983 300D Turbo Diesel
1,799 Posts
I'm an avid motorcyclist as well and I ride a BMW K1200LT because I enjoy the quietness, and smoothness of the motorcycle. As for the 300D? It sings a sweet song of satisfaction to me.

·
Registered
2013 MINI Copper S Clubman, '84 300CD-weekend car
10,152 Posts
Yeah, I usually keep the radio low so I can hear the engine. Original stereo in both of mine.

·
Registered
-88 250D, -93 280TE-24 Sportline and -00 E270T CDI
898 Posts
Hello! So now i get to tell you guys that my M102 had a blown head gasket since last summer (! without dying!) And was finnally replaced by a M110 from a parts car. No trouble at all, had all parts saved . I just love the 6 and especially the 5cyl sound :D The 80Hp 240/3.0 and 300D is just the best 5cyl sound!, Old audi 100's and newer volvos is not to bad neither :)

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
The car's engine drone at speed gives me the satisfaction that it's running and doing its job but sometimes I also love to have some silence in the cabin, something the w124 and w201's can easily provide at the same speed. But there's nothing like the handling of a w123. I never realized that before even when others told that to me, but now I do.

After driving the 300TE and 190E for a while, driving the 300D is like slipping on an old pair of very comfortable shoes.

·
Registered
1985 380SE
1,939 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I love the sound of the engine purring along @ 60MPH. I too like to leave the radio off because the engine sounds so great.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
So what I'm hearing youse saying is that we need a sound system that replicates all the appropriate noises at the appropriate times (including the various combustive vibrations) in order to get you into a Prius. :D

I appreciate the quietness of my gasser ... and as a motorcyclist myself I don't mind a little noise, the dry Ducati clutches are wonderful once you're used to them, and with the baffles in my Staintunes, the exhaust is quite mellow, until you hammer the throttle. Mmmmmm....

Those awful open pipe harleys, though, gag. The law enforcement motto should be "set off a car alarm, go to jail."

Not that I have an opinion... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
^^^
'twas a joke, my friend, hence the big toothy smile.

I've ridden in a few of those things, and it is eerie when the IC engine is off, and amazing how loud those skinny, high-mileage tires are. Even without the motor on the Prius has more road noise at 35 than my car at 90. 'Course that's what our Congress is moving us towards with each passing bill.

·
Registered
1982 Mercedes 300TD wagon
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Love the sound a Ducati engine makes. Hate the rattling sound of the dry clutch! My Vstrom 650 sounds like a 60's Dodge 440 cubic inch engine between 3,000-6,000 rpm even with the stock can on it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts