Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This sunday I will be racing AutoX with the only Mercedes in the SCCA border regions. Not only am I the only MB this year im the only MB EVER since the SCCAAZBR website started in 1999.

Im Solo FS class so my competitors are going to be 335i, Stangs and Infinity Gs .

Im a little nervous but i think I will place well.

Any bet on where I come in?

·
Registered
2003 CL600
91 Posts
I've wondered this too. I've seen BMW 3 series do well (light weight, good steering control, and flat handling, despite being low powered). I've also seen high horsepower Corvettes do very well, mostly based on their down low torque. But generally, the E55 is the opposite of most good autox cars (such as Miata, Mini Cooper, etc.). I am curious if the torque can make up for the handling and weight.

Let us know.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i didn't do bad. but it was hard on the car.

I finished 3rd in class behind a 335i and a Shelby GT 500, both were expected. Overall 24th is in my opinion not to bad. middle of the pack!

But I did beat a SRT-8 Charger. A Chrysler 300C a G35 Coupe a GTO and a regular stang GT.

So I consider it a comendable performance.

So, should you autoX a E55?

I don't think auto X is something the E55 is good at. The corners are too sharp/narrow to slide through. There aren't very many straights, body roll is pretty severe. The transmission acts wierd. Then the nummber one reason potential for damage. Hitting a cone at 70 MPH is not adviseable. I spun out on the first run my bumper is cracked now my tow hook cover got damaged (poped out and dragged on the ground). I have marks from the cones impacting on the facia on the sides and rear bumper. One is pretty bad and it dosen't want to buff out. My guess is the base of the cones did the damage. I'm not sweating since the car isn't worth a penny now. Pics tomorrow.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts