Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1361 - 1380 of 1389 Posts

·
Registered
8,900 Posts
^^^

Am I the only one that see’s a modernized Lancia Stratos ?
I see a stretched Elise with lower door sills to make it easier for old farts like me to get in and out. Thank Gawd Rover went tits up and they stopped using that fucking K-series engine I had in my 98 Elise.

·
Registered
8,900 Posts
Super 7 lives on. This has got to be a blast,

https://youtu.be/Ach4G9-XSkI
I'm always inclined to think adding bigger and bigger engines and more and more ponies to a Seven is getting away from its designer's "go fast add lightness" philosophy. With a half (long) ton original weight and just a 1300cc 4-banger, Chapman had the ideal club racer and English twisty country lane tool. Fair enough going up to a modern 2-liter or so 4-banger and, say, 150 to 200 ponies (which in the wet will have you shit yourself), but beyond that it seems a bit pointless. All you'll do is add extra weight from the engine, and spin the wheels and make a lot of smoke. IF you don't suddenly find yourself going sideways into a hedge / ditch / wall / telephone pole first.

The original Elise got back to this. With just 120 ponies and 1600 lbs, in the standard Rover K-series engine version, a 120 mph top speed was possible, which was more than enough for twisty country lanes, and a 0 to 60 of about 5.8 seconds was quick by 1996 standards (mine was a 1997 model delivered in November 1998) and more than enough to see off most teenage wanabees in their fart-canned huge spoilered but basically standard Imprezzas. Maybe not so the pukka souped-up rally versions, but you'd still loose them in the twisties. And if you knew what you were doing you could keep ahead of a 911 too - they would catch you on the straights but they couldn't keep the power down through the twisties.

·
Registered
61,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,374
What an idiot... obviously he's not familiar with Jaguar's reputation.

A man in India has pushed a brand new car into a river because he was upset his parents gifted him a BMW instead of a Jaguar for his birthday.

The young man, only known as Akash, from Haryana in northern India, was given a BMW M3 car by his mother and father.

In an act of protest over not getting the vehicle he wanted, the man ditched the car, but later jumped into the river and joined drivers to try and save it.

·
Registered
8,900 Posts
What an idiot... obviously he's not familiar with Jaguar's reputation.

A man in India has pushed a brand new car into a river because he was upset his parents gifted him a BMW instead of a Jaguar for his birthday.

The young man, only known as Akash, from Haryana in northern India, was given a BMW M3 car by his mother and father.

In an act of protest over not getting the vehicle he wanted, the man ditched the car, but later jumped into the river and joined drivers to try and save it.
Could have been worse. They could have given one of those Oxford Cambridge / Morris Oxford things the Indians used to (still do?) make. Or a T T T T Triumph Herald (got ya GT, you thought I was going to type ...la).

1361 - 1380 of 1389 Posts
About this Discussion
1.4K Replies
57 Participants
GreenT
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing