Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

61 - 80 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
2000 S430, 2003 S430, 2003 S600 TT, and 2005 E320 CDI
4,354 Posts
Tony Williams, Buddy Rich, and Elvin Jones will always be, for me, the standards by which great drumming is measured. They're probably the only ones out there who could truly keep up with Art Tatum or Oscar Peterson.

Gotta also say, some of the Scottish-style snare drummers are really amazing, too--phenomenal technique and precision.

·
Registered
S Klass 500
3,681 Posts
Tony Williams, Buddy Rich, and Elvin Jones will always be, for me, the standards by which great drumming is measured. They're probably the only ones out there who could truly keep up with Art Tatum or Oscar Peterson.

Gotta also say, some of the Scottish-style snare drummers are really amazing, too--phenomenal technique and precision.

drummers should be heard and not seen for a litany of reasons, its traditional to block them out on stage or bar and never take them home, take this version of Heart's Barracuda...near perfect due to dummer blockage.

·
Premium Member
U took the old religion from the woman on the hill.
43,662 Posts
And I thought the pop song single was bad...

·
Registered
7,030 Posts
.... .

It's not the Tatum / Peterson tempos but the unique, innovative and interesting styles.

We borrow Tony William's right hand ride cymbal sticking, Buddy's astonishing left hand ( @ Disneyland's Carnation Theatre one could stand by his floor tom and directly watch that left hand go.. the lesson was knowing it was possible ! )

..and the great Elvin's constant roiling thunder ...heavenly beauty.:elefant::dance:

·
Registered
S Klass 500
3,681 Posts
It's not the Tatum / Peterson tempos but the unique, innovative and interesting styles.

We borrow Tony William's right hand ride cymbal sticking, Buddy's astonishing left hand ( @ Disneyland's Carnation Theatre one could stand by his floor tom and directly watch that left hand go.. the lesson was knowing it was possible ! )

..and the great Elvin's constant roiling thunder ...heavenly beauty.:elefant::dance:
and the great Keith Moons moon, dont forget that

Attachments

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
39,470 Posts
..should have been smart, and gotten full or partial patent of the special fast drying glue he had paid a London chemist to develop.
From hanging out with Cy Langston I know he used to tour with several buckets marked Keith Glue, likely a close relation to superglue.
One night sitting at the Sunset Marquis with Jeff, Peter Asher, C a piece (with his wife having little luck trying to boss everyone around) Gordon Waller, Georgiana Steele, Terry and I, they were reminiscing about Keith Moon gluing all of Jeff Becks stuff to the ceiling.
Jeff is known to be a deep sleeper (bit of narcolepsy?) and Keith Moon with the help of a roady glued flower to vase, vase to table, table to ceiling, guitar in case glued to ceiling, basically everything except the bed he was sleeping in.
So, in the morning when he didn't see his guitar around, in a panic he apparently called the manager who came up and just kept pointing to the ceiling :grin

·
39,470 Posts
One of a handful of favorite drummers, he and Terry go way back. I got to meet him and Alvin Lee at L.A.'s House of Blues foundation room, when they toured together (mid to late 90's i think).
As an aside, Phil Spector used to be a fixture at the upstairs club, rarely too far from the walk trough of the restaurant and the hostesses station :eek
Strange dude.

·
Registered
2008 AMG CLK63 Conv., 2012 R350 4-Matic, Wife's 2015 C300 sedan
9,450 Posts
For some strange reason my University nickname was Animal, although I have all the rhythm of a San Franciscan earthquake.

Attachments

·
39,470 Posts
Rock & Roll Road Trip With Sammy Hagar - S04E11 (With Kenny Aronoff, Jason Bonham and

I initially watched this because of the people on it / drummers. A Brit actor friend and I introduced Jason Bonham to Chris Squire or Billy Sheehan (forgot which) in the mid 90's at the Whisky, met Kenny in a auto wrecking yard (no kidding), know Michael Anthony from the pool room (was good friends with his younger brother when he worked for rock a cargo. Both very polite and well brought up), and had a nodding acquaintance with Sheila via musician friends in common and Studio City's former LaVeeLee jazz club, where she frequently got up on stage with her dad, well known drummer Pete Escovedo, and sometimes her godfather, the great Titio Puente. A really small intimate club that was the hangout for area musicians, and is being missed.

There seems to be a very passionate vibe around Sheila E, reminding me a bit of the joke with an older Sheik and too many women in his harem to choose from.
They all have to disrobe and lay down next to each other while he walks along the line with a watering can, and when it sizzles.....

·
39,470 Posts
...La-Vee-Lee, $8.00 entrance & 2 drinks to hear the finest musicians on the planet up close, what a deal, yes, missed.
+ 1 The reason why a large percentage of the patrons were professional musicians themselves. I am not knocking the baked potato jazz club and am glad the place is still kicking after its founding in 1970, but LaVeeLee was a great place.
I was lucky enough to catch the tail end of the famed Palomino club, on Lankershim in North Hollywood before it closed for good.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Just went to the Carlos Santana concert last week. Turns out his drummer is his wife, Cindy Blackman Santana, and she's pretty good. Her set that evening was an 8-piece affair which she used thoroughly. It was my first exposure to her work. Her style seems to be one that is not so flashy during the tune, but more like "appropriate for the piece" and "steady". Unlike a lot of folks today, she doesn't feel the need to try to be the funky version of Buddy Rich. The most important thing a drummer can do is to provide that rock-solid stability, and she does this in spades, while grooving.

Her solo came at the end, and I found what she was saying to be lyrical, musical, and just plain fun! She's the kind of drummer Dad would've enjoyed working with.

I cannot ignore the fact that this now-59-year-old woman is gorgeous and looks close to 30 years younger than her biological age. That's what regular and strenuous aerobic exercise, such as playing drums, will help contribute toward. :)

EDIT: after Blackman Santana's solo, Carlos made the following pronouncement:

"Cindy Blackman!
Cindy Blackman Santana!
Yes...that is my wife!
Thank you Sweet Baby Jesus...!"

·
Registered
Vogon constructor fleet.
9,224 Posts
There seems to be a very passionate vibe around Sheila E, reminding me a bit of the joke with an older Sheik and too many women in his harem to choose from.
They all have to disrobe and lay down next to each other while he walks along the line with a watering can, and when it sizzles.....
Shelia's doing a helluva lot of touring lately. She took a few years off...especially after Prince died....but she's definitely back in the saddle again. :thumbsup:

She just left Chicago a couple weeks ago.

https://www.facebook.com/SheilaEDrummer/videos/1233105846701824/?v=1233105846701824

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Sheila is a badass, another musician worthy of serious study.

Been doing some more research into Speedy Jones, BTW. Yeah, that's one I needed to know more about. The study is enjoyable, and humbling, as good musical study should be.

·
39,470 Posts
Just went to the Carlos Santana concert last week. Turns out his drummer is his wife, Cindy Blackman Santana, and she's pretty good. Her set that evening was an 8-piece affair which she used thoroughly. It was my first exposure to her work. Her style seems to be one that is not so flashy during the tune, but more like "appropriate for the piece" and "steady". Unlike a lot of folks today, she doesn't feel the need to try to be the funky version of Buddy Rich. The most important thing a drummer can do is to provide that rock-solid stability, and she does this in spades, while grooving.

Her solo came at the end, and I found what she was saying to be lyrical, musical, and just plain fun! She's the kind of drummer Dad would've enjoyed working with.

I cannot ignore the fact that this now-59-year-old woman is gorgeous and looks close to 30 years younger than her biological age. That's what regular and strenuous aerobic exercise, such as playing drums, will help contribute toward. :)

EDIT: after Blackman Santana's solo, Carlos made the following pronouncement:

"Cindy Blackman!
Cindy Blackman Santana!
Yes...that is my wife!
Thank you Sweet Baby Jesus...!"
The very easy on the eye lady has been a respected drummer long before Carlos Santana. He does have good taste though :grin

In remembrance of good friend Soko Richardson (RIP) of Ike and Tina Turner revue.
As an aside: All those who used to be heavy into coke, free basing etc, have at some time or another done some pretty weird and offensive things.
After years of trashing the man as a wife beater and generally despicable character, it's easy to forget that Ike Turner was a heck of a musician and excellent guitarist.

61 - 80 of 88 Posts