Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
06 ML 350LP - 03 CLK
69 Posts
You're right...as a die hard MB fan I'm a little dissapointed...I may take a look at the Range Rover Sport

·
Registered
SLK350,C230Komp
305 Posts
I agreed with you guys.
As a Royal MB customer for years, this is the most disappointed moment that I may have to consider X5 instead of the ML.
I think in Canada, X5 and ML500 cost the same but when it comes to resell value, X5 is worth more.
please correct me if I am wrong.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Hold on ALANCHAN beacuse this is complicated!

X5 might have been worth more in the past, but I guess you will see the oposite in the next 2-3 years, because now the ML is the new attractive generation while the X5 will be replaced in 2007 and is the old SUV.

·
Registered
SLK350,C230Komp
305 Posts
OK, I will take your advice.
You are right, the X5 has been around for a long time and will eventually change its style soon...
I still like M-class more because I owned one before but traded in for an E-class.
One thing I don't like about the new M-class is the lack of 3rd row seat.
That means if I have to drive more than 5 people I have to rent a Mini-Van.....
what do you guys think about buying the first year of the 2nd generation of new M-class?
Some people say never buy 1st year production...true??

·
Registered
10 Posts
Here is another thought, maybe answering both your questions ...

I've learned (and probably few others) to never buy a new model in first 2 years, especially BMW & MB .. Wait til most problems are sorted out, so you get a mid/late model car that you enjoy driving and is reliable.

For resale, X5 first 2 yrs models recently went down significantly, ML first few yrs models are way worse, later models are better for both pro rata ..

Maybe people now are dumping earlier models for later ones, to insure reliability and having a problem free drive .. that actually makes sense.

·
Registered
2020 MB GLE 450 4MATIC, 2015 BMW M4
2,117 Posts
First year models

From Oz - 4/8/2005 7:48 AM

Here is another thought, maybe answering both your questions ...

I've learned (and probably few others) to never buy a new model in first 2 years, especially BMW & MB .. Wait til most problems are sorted out, so you get a mid/late model car that you enjoy driving and is reliable.
Well, that makes logical sense, but is not always true. I bought a very early 2001 BMW M3, and the following year actually had main bearing problems at a far greater rate than the first year. I also bought one of the first MLs (12/97 production) that had a few minor issues the first year, but has been rock solid since (now 77k).

That good experience is one of the reasons I'm getting a first year W164. I know M-B cannot afford the bad reputation the W163 got--they've got to have this one nailed. The other thing is it's just a car, covered by warranty, and my dealer has been excellent at service.

·
Registered
2000 W210 E55 AMG, 2002 SLK32 AMG, 2007 W164 ML320 CDI
218 Posts
I have a 03 ML350 now and I used to have a X5 3.0i before it and drove it for 3 years and not a single thing in the ML beats my ML350....the X5 is just extremly fun to drive, powerful, extremly amazing handling for an SUV, and the built quality is excellent. I have been looking to trade in my 03 for a new 06 ML350 but the new ML really disappointed me a lot. Especially the built quality. I have look at 3 of them already and they all have worst workmanship and built quality then my 03...I am expecting a lot from it but it just disappointed...but the overall drive is a lot better then the 03 one....still can't compare to X5!

·
Registered
2000 W210 E55 AMG, 2002 SLK32 AMG, 2007 W164 ML320 CDI
218 Posts
I have driven a W164 ML350 for a while now and I still feel that my old X5 is so much better. I know it is a MB forum and I also own a few MB and I don't like BMWs. But in fact that the X5 does handle a lot better on road. Such as something like going on a highway ram at very high speed tells right away which one is better. I have never tried the W164 offroad but I have tried my old W163 offroad and thats better then the X5 since it has more ground clearance and a low range gear box. Also that the X5 has much better built quality and it is very dispointing that the W164 seems have worst quality and material then my old 03 ML350. I don't know how long have you driven your W164 or X5 or W163 but please be saying things more objectivity. Close your eyes and drive both cars again.

·
Registered
241 Posts
??????????????????

Why are BMW replacing the X5 next year if it is SO superior?

Another fact is that the press does not agree with your opinion neither does mine, and yes I have driven quite a bit X5, and I have recieved my new 06 ML 35O which now has 700 miles.

Maybe your e-mail adress are:
[email protected]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts