Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Premium Member
560 SL
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's been quite awhile since I started the new interior, but we're finally finished with the seats, and just about with the door panels. The center console will get started next week.

I used the highest grade leather I could find, and I wanted it to have a smooth flat finish without a grain pattern. I also had half a hide perforated so I could alternate it with the regular finish in certain sections. The center sections are done in a super plush Alcantara.

There's quite a bit of white stitching that accents the edges.

Also I bought the wing OEM headrest foam and had them installed on the Recaro brackets.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
560 SL
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
The seats aren't installed yet, just sitting in place for measurements because we're making custom tracks. I want them to tilt back somewhat for a perfect fit as I have pretty long legs.

The door panels are almost done.

I wanted the drivers door to have the same handle that runs up to the opener latch mechanism that the passenger side has, as it gives my left hand a place to grip. We had to fabricate it - but I have seen Euros with a left side armrest that had one - I just got tired of searching. I also like the long pockets or bins as I think it integrates with the handle design better so I got those. The insides are lined with the same Alcantera.

The ribs on the center section of the door match and align with the ribs on the center of the seats.

I got wood strips for the panels as I think the top needs the same accenting that most Benz's have. The wood is not bolted in tight as it comes off to be repainted. All the wood is getting redone new week with a semi-transparent black finish - It will look like a high gloss piano black but you can still see the grain. I bought an old center console piece from Ebay and we tested various density's of black to get the density that I wanted.

Attachments

·
Outstanding Contributor
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500se+500slAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
22,562 Posts
Cool! I do like the old headrests. I like to roll mine forward and enjoy the way they can cup your head when you lay back on a long drive.

Was it a major modification to fit the to the Recaro seats?

Looking good!

·
One of the BW Old Guard/R129, W204 Moderator
1997 SL500- 40th Anniversary
7,166 Posts
Nice!
Can't wait to see the black wood (and grain)...
Door panels are the shits!!!!!

Do you hire out?

:)

·
Registered
1976 450SL, 1945 Willy's CJ2A, 2007 Dodge Nitro
73 Posts
Those door panels look awesome. Would love to get some (mine were stolen before I got the car).

·
Registered
1993 600SL, 1973 450 SL,1982 380SL,1998 SLK 230, 1968 Firebird, 2001 Dodge Ram 4x4,2005 Ford Escape
5,247 Posts
What a great job ! So much better design and quality than the heat sealed Hyundai vinyl they have stock. Are you going to go crazy and leather up all the rest ? :thumbsup:

·
Registered
'71 250, '78 450SLC 5.0, '78 450SL, '81 380SLC 5.6, '89 260E, '15 Kia Sorento
5,269 Posts
In a word...... BEAUTIFUL !!!!!

·
Premium Member
560 SL
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
New dash installation at Buds Benz

After several tips from this forum, i sent my car to David Latham at Buds Benz for a total Dash R&R. His place is unbelievable. A complete treat to visit! Impeccably clean and organized with a savvy unpretentious and friendly staff. There are countless W113's everywhere and of course quite a few 107's.

They installed all new actuators, heater box rebuild - and numerous little details. Had to have the Alcantara dash and chrome gunsights...

Coming together finally...

Attachments

·
Registered
1993 600SL, 1973 450 SL,1982 380SL,1998 SLK 230, 1968 Firebird, 2001 Dodge Ram 4x4,2005 Ford Escape
5,247 Posts
Very cool ! Ok now barf up the price :D. What the heck is the dash upholstery made out of ? It looks like suade. We sure need a turnkey resource that can leather cover these things at a reasonable price. Keep the pics coming :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1983 380SL, ivory/dk brown, 46k miles, dual roller timing chain. 1986 560SL, red/white, 190K mile.
6,841 Posts
I like it all -- seats and door panels.

Impressive work. Post some more pictures.

Carl

·
Registered
1973 450SL-1968 911-1994 840ci-1967 Mustang
590 Posts
Yea I'd like know how many family members you had to give up for that dash work too... :D

·
Registered
560SL,380SL
4,012 Posts
The chromed gunsights are a really nice touch. This was probably VERY tricky for them to do, because the aluminum/overcoating has a thickness. Also, those parts have "mold marks", so they were no doubt worked over, sanded/polished by hand before it was done. I'm sure it was $$$$, but if I had it...I would spend it on my cars.

It is quite amazing that my wife's fairly inexpensive Hyundai is actually far more luxurious than my (1986 dollars) 52,000$ 560SL. We all long for "the good old days"...but those days weren't ENTIRELY great...

·
Premium Member
560 SL
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
gauges

The old gauges are being installed. Classic Instruments is making another set that I designed to look more MB classic, but they won't be finished for a few months yet.

Attachments

·
Registered
75, 280Sl /5speed
1,330 Posts
Have heard about an upholstery shop in Ft. Wayne IN. called Krist Custom Interiors who bring a mobile upholstery shop to your location and do the work right there. Apparently they will go anywhere in the US. If you could get 3-4 cars together wanting the same interior work done might be cost effective. www.kristcustoms.com.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts