Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz W140 (300SE) 3.2L 1991 Petrol. Import from Japan with Lorinser Mod.
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the needle of the Stromberg carbrature is a stationary (fixed) one or a movable one? Mine shakes a little when you touch it as if there is a clearance in the place the needle comes out of (piston bottom).

Any ideas ?

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz W140 (300SE) 3.2L 1991 Petrol. Import from Japan with Lorinser Mod.
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So... No answer :)

·
'89 300E Turbo project, ‘85 Audi Coupe Quattro, ‘71 BMW turbo 2002, '73 BMW 2002tii, ‘67 Kaiser M725
17,724 Posts
No answer ;) Only thing I can suggest is going to the vintage forum and try asking there. Just don't make mention of your W123 or Germanstar might redirect it back here.

·
Registered
2007 S550
1,149 Posts
Sorry but I've only owned fuel injected diesels so I'm not familiar with Mercedes carburetors. I am very familiar with certain types of 2 barrel carbs for bikes and ski's and their needle is stationary so as the piston is raised more fuel is delivered. If the needle is loose I would think the fuel delivery might be less precise? Is the taper on the needle consistent from top to bottom? Worn needles will actually loose some surface thickness and will no longer have a straight line look. I've torn down lots of old dirt bikes to find needles like that and after you replace it the bike runs so much better..... but I digress, you should take nutz advice and find someone with MB carburetor experience.

·
Registered
424 Posts
The needle is fixed by a tiny screw (no. 11 in that other pic). If I remember right, there's also a little spring which allows the needle to move a bit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts