Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
1984 500SL (RHD) 160k miles
188 Posts
I would be very interested to know what technical changes they made on the factory cars from an engine, gearbox and weight saving point of view. Also some photos of the engine would be awesome.
Slcracing would you care to enlighten?
Thanks.

·
Registered
1979 450slc 5.0 (#1094), 1989 560sl, 2002 E55 AMG
458 Posts
Great thread - I have a 1980 Euro 450sl that I am prepping as a rally car, with performance upgrades as reasonable but not full-out like the factory racer. I would like the end product to resemble the factory 500sl cars from the 1981 season, such as this one that has been showing up lately. Does anyone have any photos of this car that they would be willing to share with me, or better, to post here for all to enjoy? I am particularly interested in interior shots, as I am now thinking about what the roll cage should look like. Incidentally, this car was basically a field find in Northern California, with the interior heavily damaged by rainwater and the silver paint (badly applied over original gold) oxidized to resemble grey primer. Values would not support a showroom restoration, but this car would be a perfect car for events and to evoke the rally history that this model had. I am looking forward to this project!

Attachments

·
Outstanding Contributor, Vintage Moderator
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500se+500slAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
23,658 Posts

I just see the picture and the short note on the accident:
"Piloted by Roland Asch, the car was damaged on the notorious blind, off-camber left-hander that’s part of the Fos Hillclimb. The temporary crash barriers did their job perfectly, but caused damage to the SL which would normally have precluded further appearances.

In true rallying spirit Michael Bock, head of Mercedes-Benz Classic, was not to be put off by some creased panels. Determined that the car would once again take to the Hillclimb, the M-B crew moved the SL into one of their large transporters, anchored the front of the car to something very heavy and reversed away until the nose looked something akin to its old self.

The surgery worked, and Mr Asch was once again free to charge up the hill, and even perform some power-sliding for the appreciative fans at the top. We reckon the handsome 500SL Rallye looked super-tough even with its re-arranged front-end – and full respect to the team for demonstrating ‘the right stuff’!"

ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1406468852.215269.jpg

Is there some note on this 380hp there that I am missing?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
188 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
oh and the displacement was stock, in which case 4973cc and SOHC's = 380HP? What am I missing?!!!

·
Registered
1988 Mercedes Benz 560SL
19 Posts
Hi guys. Quick question here, what wheels are on those cars. I think they're BBS but what model and how wide are those? Don't like the stock wheels, I'd like something a bit wider and Lorinser LO's are impossible to find here. Thanks :)

·
Registered
1979 450 SLC 5.0 #677 & 1980 500 SLC #2053
420 Posts
Hi guys. Quick question here, what wheels are on those cars. I think they're BBS but what model and how wide are those? Don't like the stock wheels, I'd like something a bit wider and Lorinser LO's are impossible to find here. Thanks :)
BBS one-piece honeycomb wheels 15x6.5. Also impossible to find.

·
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500se+500slAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
23,658 Posts

BBS one-piece honeycomb wheels 15x6.5. Also impossible to find.

I sometimes have a hard telling the difference between BBS Mahle and BBS RA. BBS Mahle weave diameter seems to be a bit smaller, and the rim around the outside is a little larger. I think the Mahle may have been slightly earlier, but I don't know.

I have two sets of 8x16 et11 and one set of 7x16 et23. I could imagine the setup on that smashed 500sl possibly being those wheels in a staggered setup, but the rear wheels look even deeper than that 8x16 et11 that I have in that pictures.

I don't have any Mahle.

I do have a set of Lorinser LO, but two of the set I have for sale are still in the process of getting refinished.

So if you are not entirely picky regarding the exact specs, wheels are available at a price.

·
Premium Member
560 SL
242 Posts
I have a perfect set of LO's for sale. They are basically show wheels - perfect in every way.

·
23,658 Posts
I have a perfect set of LO's for sale. They are basically show wheels - perfect in every way.

Those sure are nice! And they fit a 560sl. I just now checked his profile, and I see he has an 88 560sl, surely needing the special front wheels, which Pearson has. And let's not forget the 9" rear wheels too. That's about as good as it gets with Lorinser LO.

·
Registered
1970, 280SEC 3.5
26 Posts
Hi everyone, my name is Bernd, I live in Germany. This is a highly fascinating thread and it`s already ongoing since 2009. I thought that I share a bit of my little knowledge, as I happen to have written about the "forgotten" 500SL rally car in one of my books (Mercdes-Benz: The modern SL cars) that was quoted here a bit earlier. In that book I reveal the complete history of all four 500SL cars with actual photos of the engines and VINs of the two sole surviving cars. Both reside in Germany and I believe, not with slcracing in Slovakia. Yes, both VINs he quoted are correct, and it would be interesting if he too could show some actual photos here.

I got those photos and the stories around those cars directly from the owner, who has them since the days, Daimler-Benz sold them to him in the 1980s.

I have also written a blog about part of the cars´ history, in case you are interested:
Forgotten Mercedes R107 500SL Rally

61 - 76 of 76 Posts