Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1980 280te 1979 Rabbit D 1969 Triumph T100C
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. Mods please move if this is the incorrect spot for this. I am ready to start building a collection of good tools and would like to buy my first set last. Wondering if any of you guys could tell me what brand you use and why you are hooked on them. Also curious if anyone knows what the factory/factory racing teams use, this is probably out of my budget but would be interesting to know what their choice is.

·
Registered
2017 Police Interceptor Utility, 2017 Police Interceptor Sedan
7,750 Posts
I use Craftsman and Snap-On. Craftsman has a LIFETIME UNLIMITED warranty. Buy a wrench, it breaks 15 years later, take it to Sears, they give you a new one.

·
BenzWorld Elite Member
2004 SL55, 2006 Range Rover Supercharged, 2013 Infiniti M37
312 Posts
My preference is with Craftsman, their guarantee is second to none.

·
Registered
E500Es
29,576 Posts
I have used nothing but Craftsman for over 30 years and have only had two tools break. Both were replaced no questions asked. Both were broken by my misuse. A screwdriver is not a lever.

·
Registered
2017 Police Interceptor Utility, 2017 Police Interceptor Sedan
7,750 Posts
mcbear said:
A screwdriver is not a lever.
Damn! That explains a lot of my problems.

·
Registered
1990 300E, 2002 ML500
1,379 Posts
Craftsman actually makes nothing, they use other companies and rebrand it. Don't get me wrong, that isn't necessarily a bad thing, they contract good companies to do the tools. For example a Craftsman oxyfuel torch regulator and torch were actually Harris tools, which are very good. For auto tools I have heard nothing but great things about Snap-On if you want great, long lasting tools, drawback being the price.

·
Registered
05 E55/ 05 Yamaha R1
173 Posts
actually, a family member of mine is a sears corporate officer, and the craftsman warranty is not on ALL craftsman tools. i.e. ratchets-not lifetime. any non-hinge, or non mechanical are warranted, hinged, etc..are 1 year

·
Registered
1922 Ford T no OBD, no ECU, no SCN
37,836 Posts
If you are thinking Craftsman, consider buying about 3 sets.
And replace 3 broken screwdrivers, or wrenches at the same time.
Lifetime guarantee sounds good, but with today's gasoline prices constant replacement is not cheap anymore. They are good wrenches for the lawn-mowers and bicycles, but on MB lot of Craftsman wrenches are just too thick to fit, so likely you will end buying Snap on, or other automotive tools.
Being industrial mechanic in my past life, I have some Proto wrenches. Just like Rigid pipe wrenches they are Brabus of the tools. I think Craftsman would be Hundai (10 years warranty on power-train).

·
Registered
37,836 Posts
BTW did you know, that Craftsman garden tools have life time warranty as well?
One time I had to dig out water pipe crushed by tree rots.
Broke 3 Craftsman shovels in 20 minutes.
That's what lifetime is.

·
Registered
1985 500SEC
200 Posts
To keep maret share Craftsman needed more competitive prices. Most of the ratchets, wrenches and sockets are manufactured outside the U.S.(Taiwan etc.). Snap On makes high quality but overpriced tools. I am partial to Proto and SK ( tight clicks), have some nice Japan made clutch driven ratchets and too many tools in general. With few exeptions, you get what you pay for . Teutone (aka Horst K)

·
Registered
500SE AMG, E350 4matic, GL 450
5,947 Posts
I use craftsman. Sears is pretty close to my house so it is convenient. Buy a set of wrenches (standard and metric) and a socket set. Usually around Fathers Day, there are good sales. Join the Craftsman Club and you get an additional 10% discount each month on selected tools. Buy them as you need them. You will have quite the collection soon.

·
Registered
1985 500SEC
200 Posts
Michael Pillay said:
I use craftsman. Sears is pretty close to my house so it is convenient. Buy a set of wrenches (standard and metric) and a socket set. Usually around Fathers Day, there are good sales. Join the Craftsman Club and you get an additional 10% discount each month on selected tools. Buy them as you need them. You will have quite the collection soon.
Hi Mike. They will certainly do the job and provide good value for the money. Tools are the least of my problems, I run a tool company. Teutone (aka Horst K)

·
Registered
92 500SEL to 01 E320T current 2014 lexus LS460
3,886 Posts
99.9 percent of "Craftsman are replaced without question, I have never had a problem and have exceeded some of the suggested application (pipe). They offer a "Companion" l ine with a limited warranty that I would not purchase. Sears is also selling specialized tools made by others, and some rebranded items.
If no cost is an option Snap-On is a great tool, but the drivers visit dealers and offer financing to the mechanics and have some specialized tools. MB has some custom tools from european suppliers.
Most professionals and race teams prefer them, I have use duro and proto, but take offense as being a "hundai"

·
Registered
1991 Mercedes 300E
467 Posts
ok here it is. 99 percent of snap on or mac tools are a waste of money. yes they are all great tools, and you cant find anything better, but they are almost always overpriced, and you can find the same tool and same quality for much cheaper elce where. ive been working on mercedes, ferraris, porsches, and alll other types of cars, and i dont even think snap on makes up more than 5 pecent of my tool chest. i mainly use mastercraft (canadian tire product, bassicly a sears or autozone in canada)these tools are like craftsman, lifetime warrenty and best of all if it breaks u just go to the nearest store and get a replacement, unlike snapon where you have to find a dealer or wait for the guy to show up at the shop. also snapon is bassicly for braging rights just to say "i have snap on". if you got the money go for it, if you want to be a smart consumer go for the other guys, simple.

·
Registered
37,836 Posts
Personally I have hard time to image $130/hr Mercedes mechanic, or even more expensive Ferrari mechanic doing $60 replacement job, breaking a wrench 1/2 thru it and taking 1.5 hr off to speed to Sears for tool replacement;)

·
Registered
1982 280ce Australia
81 Posts
MINIMAX No 23500
54pc 3/8dr Metric Socket Set
Rrp $517
21 Metric Surface Drive Sockets 3/8dr 6-26mm
5 Spline Sockets 3/8dr M5-M12
7 Hexkey Sockets 3/8dr 3-10mm
6 Torque Male Sockets 3/8dr T25-T55
7 Torque Female Sockets 3/8dr T6-T16

8 Socket Accessories 3/8dr
Offset Flexhead Ratchet 280mm, Stubby Ratchet 100mm
Flexhandle 230mm, Sliding T-Handle 250mm, Ball Universal Joint 45mm
Swivel (Wobble) Extensions 75, 150, 250mm

Chrome Vanadium Steel - Triple Plated : Copper-Nickel-Chrome
Best Japanese Quality using German Steel

Attachments

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
83 280 SL- 5 speed-The PIG
31,354 Posts
Snap On ratchets( #1 imho) SK sockets (same profile as Snap On at 1/2 price) SK wrenches, Sears impact sockets(I don't think anyone warrantees these so why not buy cheaper).
By the way, most Canadian Tire tools are 65% of the quality of Snap On , SK or the like. It is not ALL about breakage. It is about fit and feel as well. My MB would CRINGE .

·
Registered
1980 280te 1979 Rabbit D 1969 Triumph T100C
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you all for your input. I am still curious if anyone happens to know what exactly is in the AMG toolchests for example, or what the mercede DTM teams use. Any opinions on Hazet tools?

·
Registered
2001 SL500, 1995 E320 Estate
335 Posts
Fo all the craftsman replies, i would suggest they are not the mercedes of tools. rather i might liken them to hyundai. What all the respondents are mentioning is the warranty - lifetime warranty.

This could mean that Sears will replace a merely average tool with another merely average tool, just like hyundai warrants their vehicle for 100,000 miles/10 years. clue: it's still a hyundai.

I submit that snap-on and proto and matco engineer and produce their tools to closer tolerances than craftsman. craftsman is, however, good enough to be a preponderance of tools in my personal chest, but having used a variety, I'd be happier with snap-on or matco, if i had the money.

bt

1 - 20 of 24 Posts