Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2001 320SLK
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm taking it that SLK comes from the German words for Sporty, Light and Kompressor. Was wondering why they kept the K on the 320 models? Were they worried about comfusion with the other SL models or was it something else? Was a pretty day in the Carolina hills for top down operations.

·
Registered
W203 modified
2,033 Posts
BobGreenfield - 4/17/2005 8:21 AM

I'm taking it that SLK comes from the German words for Sporty, Light and Kompressor. Was wondering why they kept the K on the 320 models? Were they worried about comfusion with the other SL models or was it something else? Was a pretty day in the Carolina hills for top down operations.
K for short.

·
Registered
2000 Slk230 Sport
142 Posts
bodypainter - 4/16/2005 6:03 PM

I think "K" means kompact.
Yes, that's what I read before in a car mag.

Sport-Lite-Kompact.

·
Registered
1999 SLK 230- RED
461 Posts
K for kurz or short in German....kinda like the 9 mm kurz pistol round-- that is a "380" pistol....still potent but not as large as the 9 mm. Our cars are still beautiful, but not as large (or expensive) as the SL ... Probably pisses off those owners also
[:D][:D][:(!]

Regards

·
Registered
2000 Slk230 Sport
142 Posts
Short as in not tall? That does not sound right either.

Maybe it does not stand for anything. What does SL stand for? Sport Long? Or Clk or anything else.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Sein Name ist kurz und treffend: SLK - Sportlich, Leicht, Kurz. Seine Bestimmung ist ebenso kurz und prägnant

For the English speakers from Time Magazine, business section entitled "THE ROADSTERS ARE BACK HOPING TO TURN DOLLARS AS WELL AS HEADS.

"The Mercedes-Benz SLK. The initials are German for sporty, light and short [sportlich, leicht und kurz]."

·
BenzWorld R170 SLK Host
2002 SLK32 AMG
2,652 Posts
Officially it's Sportlich Leicht Kompakt (Sporty, Light, Compact)

Early press releases said Sportlich Leicht Kurz (Sporty, Light, Short), and some magazines quoted that for years afterward. However, the official Mercedes website for the R170 said Kompakt, as does the official Mercedes-Benz press book "Everything About the Mercedes-Benz SLK."

·
Registered
W203 modified
2,033 Posts
RE: Officially it's Sportlich Leicht Kompakt (Sporty, Light, Compact)

Brian_R170 - 4/18/2005 2:43 AM

Early press releases said Sportlich Leicht Kurz (Sporty, Light, Short), and some magazines quoted that for years afterward. However, the official Mercedes website for the R170 said Kompakt, as does the official Mercedes-Benz press book "Everything About the Mercedes-Benz SLK."
Is Kompact a German word ? I cant seem to find it. Would a native born speaker please enlighten me ?

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
1,219 Posts
RE: Officially it's Sportlich Leicht Kompakt (Sporty, Light, Compact)

miroj - 4/17/2005 6:31 PM

Brian_R170 - 4/18/2005 2:43 AM

Is Kompact a German word ? I cant seem to find it. Would a native born speaker please enlighten me ?
It's in my German-English/English-German dictionary (Collins Gem):

kompakt (adjective) compact.

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
But, don't forget that the C in CLS is supposed to mean 'Compact'. So what gives [:D]

I consider it as meaning "short". It's just a shorter version of the SL. Or maybe a "simpler" version.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
So then what does the C in CLK mean?

For that matter what does the L and K mean in CLK?

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
1,219 Posts
I hate to drag open an old,old post but...I recently had my wife buy me a christmas present for next year off ebay, an SLK book that supposedly went to the dealers. According to the seller: "This book was the original marketing piece released to dealers. It contains initial concept sketches, and extensive blueprints and photos for the development of the SLK." It came today and I had to at least check it out to make sure it was OK :D . The first several pages say "Sport", "Leicht", "Kurz" so at least originally that was the meaning of SLK. It may have changed to Sportlich-Leicht-Kompakt at some later date, reference Brian's quote below:

Brian_R170 said:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts