Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided I was going to spend a day this weekend fixing the missing pixels on the clock and outside temperature gauge on my instrument cluster using the now famous repair instructions on this thread: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/1373177-diy-instrument-cluster-lcd-display-fix.html

After making several attempts I finally got almost all the pixels showing up. I was pretty excited since a new cluster from MB is about a million dollars.

Now the bad part: I was using the handy negative battery terminal disconnect in the rear seat kick panel to disconnect the power without having to get off my lazy butt. Nice feature Mercedes! Unfortunately, I slipped when making the connection and didn't hit it cleanly. When I made the connection again the gas gauge immediately started clicking. It seemed like it was trying to go past the bottom. It clicked about 10 times and then stopped.

Then when I turned the car on it went up about 1/4 tank and stopped (the tank was almost full). When I turned off the car again, it didn't go back down. Every time I turned the car on it went up, turning the car off did nothing. I tried manually setting it back to zero but it still didn't wanna stay down. Now, it's stuck up against the engine temperature gauge next to it. Whenever I turn off the car it clicks 10 times again but doesn't go anywhere.

My question: is it shot? is there anyway to reset or calibrate it back to zero? And if not, can I solder a new one onto the board? Can you even buy a new one? I already tried replacing the instrument cluster with one from eBay but got the "defective display" error.

·
Registered
2002 e320
344 Posts
I think you will have to open up the cluster again and check if the gas gauge needle is seated properly. Hopefully that is all it is.
Paul

·
Registered
2000 4Matic Estate E320S4 210.282
824 Posts
What causes the needle to stick is the gauge dial rubbing against it. All is needed is to open the cluster once more and press on the dial down until it snaps back in place.

There's no need to disconnect battery when removing cluster - just keep the key off the ignition. :D

Good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What causes the needle to stick is the gauge dial rubbing against it. All is needed is to open the cluster once more and press on the dial down until it snaps back in place.

There's no need to disconnect battery when removing cluster - just keep the key off the ignition. :D

Good luck
Are you kidding me? Gheez! I screwed up the cluster and I didn't even need to be futzing with the battery? What an idiot. Me, that is. I'll take it out tonight and see if your dial fix works. I hope so.

·
Registered
Y2k E320 Wagon 4matic
13 Posts
When I did mine... Fill the car, plug in the Instrument pnl with the cover off... install the needle/indicator after a min or two at the FULL mark.... (indicator pointing to F mark) I was never able to get the E and F to line up to my satisfaction any other way... It takes a while for the needle to go back to zero...

My unit never displayed fully after the fix so I bought a 03 unit for my 00 and just live wth the defective display msg... no issues so far... in for 4 months...

·
Registered
99 E430, 01 E430 Sport, 00 SL500
3,266 Posts
There were many posts before this one about fixing the display that really scared me. Too much risk involved so I left the missing pixels alone.

·
Registered
02 E55 & 07 SL55
52 Posts
I bought the ribbons and fixed it myself two weeks ago. Let me tell you, its definitely nerve wracking but once you get the hang of it, everything comes together. It took me just over and hour to get the ribbons on, but adjusting the needles took a few more tries. Just keep messing with it carefully and it should be fine after a few tries.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts