Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
92 600 SEL
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Do you guys know if I can use other W140 rear seatbelts on a 97 S600? I have heard power vs. non-power seats use different seat belts. The belts are not retracting any more.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1993 300SEL (Sold) 2007 X5
7,218 Posts
Not too sure about the difference between powered and non powered rear seats in relation to belts. But most S500's had powered rear seats, so you should have no problem finding a replacement.

·
Premium Member
1999 S600 Sedan, 1999 S600 w/ 4-pl seating, 1995 S600 Coupe, 2-1992 600SEL's, 2002 ML55, 1998 SL600
2,424 Posts
After trying several different solutions, having them 'serviced', taking them apart, using the 'pull all the way out, retract all the way back' method of seat belt use, I had the dealer put in a new set. Wasn't that expensive and now it's not an issue.

Suggestion: That's the only way to finally fix the issue.

·
Premium Member
M120, M119, W126*2 + Silver Avantgarde wagon
4,742 Posts
Seems like I do agree, as my most admired indie just said the same thing as Stryker says.

·
Registered
nothing broken. finally!
2,619 Posts
i know each front belt is close to 400$... and they all fail due to the spring having to wind up so much belt all the time

·
Premium Member
4,742 Posts
i know each front belt is close to 400$... and they all fail due to the spring having to wind up so much belt all the time
Yes, that is what I have found as well.

Gyrate, would you risk a used pair for 65 each from a trusted 140 stockist or would you say safety first, buy new...?

·
Registered
nothing broken. finally!
2,619 Posts
id go used for that price. if it hasnt been used much, the spring could have years left on it.

as for safety, the tensioner mechanism will work regardless of the rollback function state so in a crash, it will still latch back tight. it's gas cartridge powered

·
Premium Member
4,742 Posts
id go used for that price. if it hasnt been used much, the spring could have years left on it.

as for safety, the tensioner mechanism will work regardless of the rollback function state so in a crash, it will still latch back tight. it's gas cartridge powered
priceless information, I never thought of that last aspect - thank you Gyrate :thumbsup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts