Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From all of the posts I have read, this seems to be inevitable eventually where the panoramic sunroof malfunctions due to lack of maintenance and not being used as some of the reasons.

I have accumulated about 4,000 miles on my S600 the past 6 years, so it spends much of its time in the garage.

The front glass is now making the grinding noise when it reaches the extremes of the open and closed positions, and it seems as if the motors have play in them just enough to tilt and not make a good contact with the cable that moves the glass.

I have attempted to fix it using the washer techniques and have not had any improvement. Tonight, I have noticed where the Torx bolts screw in to secure the motor the nuts stopped the screw into. that the threads are stripped not allowing the Torx bolt to tighten. I looks like my only option may be a helicoil or replace the part the Torx screws into. It doesn't look like any "easy" fix due to the room to work, so I was wondering if any members have successfully fixed this with a reasonable solution that was effective and did not break the bank?

Thanks!

·
Registered
W164 GL450, W221 S550, R230 SL600TT, R170 SLK230, W140 S500, More
707 Posts
My 2008 S550 when the sunroof closes it makes a big BANG when it reaches the closed position. Is this common? I have only closed it three times but each time, BANG! I sure hope it isn't going to quit working someday while it's halfway open!

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is more common than I would like, and it applies to not just MB, but many makes of vehicles and is usually isolated to panoramic roof vehicles.

I feel that during the routine maintenance performed on these cars that it is often forgot to lubricatebthe glass roof. Due to its weight it puts strain on the motor when the lubricant inevitably dries up, and this is often overlooked when general maintenance is performed.
I would not operate it in its current state until I insured it was lubricated properly. MB has a special (very slick) lubricant especially designed for sunroofs and similar parts that I would certainly use. Your dealer should apply it for a very reasonable rate.
Unfortunately it is only sold in bulk so it is not cost effective to purchase a tub of it for private use as you will likely never use 25% of it over the life of the vehicle.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts