Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1821 - 1840 of 1857 Posts

·
Registered
1974 450SL (always needs something!) new djet engine 1991; 1961 Besasie X-3 (being restored)
790 Posts
Finally!!! I drove the 107 about 20 miles around the county today! Top down (thank you BB), windows down, hair--what there is of it--blowing in the breeze..... I was wondering if I would ever drive it again. Whooppee!!!
Next trip is into the next county to get some REAL (non-eth) gas. Gotta see what the weather will be like. Any bad weather east of the Rocky Mountains and the car stays in the garage.

·
Registered
1989 560SL; 2014 E350
1,523 Posts
Started the car today with the idea of taking a nice ride. Odd pulsating sound from the engine right after start-up. Sat for a minute thinking, "What the hell is this?" Eventually slipped out of the driveway, and the tranny hesitated before thunking into the next gear. Two new symptoms in one drive! Turned around and put it back in the garage with plans to have it checked. Shortest drive I can ever remember!

·
Premium Member
1983 380 SL
2,444 Posts
Finally!!! I drove the 107 about 20 miles around the county today! Top down (thank you BB), windows down, hair--what there is of it--blowing in the breeze..... I was wondering if I would ever drive it again. Whooppee!!!
Next trip is into the next county to get some REAL (non-eth) gas. Gotta see what the weather will be like. Any bad weather east of the Rocky Mountains and the car stays in the garage.
Congratulations... it's the best feeling in the world, well... almost.

·
Registered
1985 500 SL in Signal Red, 145,000 miles, and rising whenever possible
326 Posts
Congratulations... it's the best feeling in the world, well... almost.
drove mine last Friday. 250 miles, including an hour and half of crawling at 3mph owing to road closure. still 24mpg overall, and happy as Larry behind the wheel.

·
Registered
1985 280SL (Euro)
211 Posts
Been ages since I checked in. But I lurk often enough, looking in on what you’re all up to with your 107’s.

Normally I visit the north a month each summer to enjoy a month of summer in Michigan. I was unable to get to my summer home until now. Opened up the garage uncovered the 107’s and took it off the battery tender. Started right up after 14 months in storage. I’m enjoying a pleasant September with the old boy. It was detailed using Ceramicote over the winter and physically it looks good as new. But there were a load of niggling maintenance issues I put off and just finished knocking them out.

I did most everything myself—oil change is never difficult as well as replaced the engine coolant and valve cover gaskets.

Other jobs were fun, if not mystifying. During a previous visit to the Mercedes dealership a rather large technician plopped down in the driver’s seat and broke one of the driver’s side seat brackets. I bought a set on ebay which were in just okay condition but undamaged and replaced them. I still don’t quite understand the design of the bracket but it works doesn’t it?

Under the hood I found I needed to replace the thermostat—again. When a 107 sits for 11 months at a time my thermostat seems to get sticky. More unexpected was the water pump. It was the original one 30 years old and needed a replacement.

I also found not only did my brakes need new pads but that a left front and right rear caliper was seized. Thought best to do them in sets so replaced them all. New rotors, hose and flushed the brake fluid.

The coolant expansion tank had a leak in it for several years but got much worse in 2018. Was leaving at the filler neck when cold so just bought a new expansion tank from MB and installed it.

The 107 developed a fuel leak over the winter. My detailer contacted me to let me know. As I always leave the tank full before putting it to sleep for the winter I wasn’t sure where it was coming from until I returned to it last week. I found fuel seepage along the fuel feed line to the fuel distributor and that was simple enough to replace. Went ahead and replaced the electro hydraulic actuator whilst I was at it.

All in order now and running very well. Starts a treat. Doesn’t smoke. And brakes silent and sure. Really pleased with how well the old boy is running for a 30 year old car.

As always, may the road rise with you.

Richard
View attachment 2603519 View attachment 2603520 View attachment 2603521 View attachment 2603522

·
Registered
1985 280SL (Euro)
211 Posts
The sky was blue, the sun was shining and the temperature a balmy 12 C (54 F) but it seemed unlikely that I would have a better opportunity for top down driving until next spring so Coaster and I set out for the off leash park (Coaster is a Wheaten Terrier/Poodle), his lordship in the back with ears streaming in the wind. After a brisk mile or so the heater cut in and things actually became quite pleasant - OT - if the heater is called the heater why isn't the a/c called the cooler? After an hour's walk in the woods we went for a 10 mile drive to nowhere in particular before driving home. Altogether a satisfying experience that will have to last through the winter. Next outing will undoubtedly be with top up prior to getting the oil and filter go to sleep package perhaps a month from now..

·
Registered
1985 500 SL in Signal Red, 145,000 miles, and rising whenever possible
326 Posts
took it to the mechie's today. 45 mile round trip. new propshaft doughnuts front and back. The pleasant surprise was the job cost les than the parts.

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
10,084 Posts
I hoped to drive the SL a bit more this year, but weather has turned bad. Snow this morning and more flurries forecast over the next few days. Salt on roads before long. So time to tuck her away, I guess. :cry:

·
Registered
1987 560 SL, 1990 300E 4Matic
435 Posts
Today was a nice crisp day, and I had just test driven an old rusted, non-running garden tractor that I have been bringing back from the dead for the first time so I thought what better way to celebrate than to take the Benz out for a ride. Forecast mixed precipitation this coming Tuesday was also in the back of my mind. It was a great drive, and I practically had the roads to myself.
DSC02024.JPG
DSC02026.JPG

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
9,837 Posts
Had all three of them out today. Samson, Delilah and Ebola. (I pushed Ebola).

Samson Red car - Samson was driven to 105 MPH (120 indicated due to gear ratio error) to test out the speedo and new diff. Performed flawlessly, no whining from the diff, no weird action from the speedometer. Installed hard top and drag radials for drag racing in the near future.

Delilah Black car - Took Delilah out for a drive and got her washed.

Ebola Well Ebola was just in the way so I pushed it out to install hard tops on Samson And Delilah.

Attachments

·
Registered
1984 300D, 1985 380 SL, 2009 E350
292 Posts
Is Sampson an R107? If so impressive. I drive my 380sl hard but at 90mph I get worried... suspension, tires, need for sudden brake or swerve... :sick:

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
9,837 Posts
Is Sampson an R107? If so impressive. I drive my 380sl hard but at 90mph I get worried... suspension, tires, need for sudden brake or swerve... :sick:
Samson is a 107 560SL with an M120 V12 engine. These cars do get wobbly if the suspension is not tight.

·
Registered
1984 300D, 1985 380 SL, 2009 E350
292 Posts
Still impressed with Sampson and driver Roncallo. Talk about driving slow car fast ... vs fast car slow.

·
Registered
1988 560SL, 1969 280SL(113)
114 Posts
First ride of my driving season! On Wednesday evening I arrived back in USA from Italy. The weather was high 60s on Thursday and Ideal for a drive, however on the first day back there was no way to get to the 107. I got the DD going and did some shopping and errands and sorted out a few things around the house.

Yesterday the weather was still nice in the morning and I found time to uncover the 107, reconnect the battery and adjust the tire pressures. After sitting for six months, she cranked on the first spin. I slipped out for a 20 minute open air drive staying fairly close to home. Weather turned wet in the afternoon but sun is on tap for tomorrow so I am hoping to have a little longer outing then.

I see my flag has also changed back to Stars and Stripes from the Italian Red, Green and White!
Bham 11 22 2019 IMG_7189.jpg
Bham 11 22 2019 IMG_7191.jpg

·
Registered
1998 C280; 1987 560SL
459 Posts
After changing the fuel filter this past week I decided to go for a test drive today, even though there was a little bit of mist in the air. I drove to the Dollar General to buy some personal beauty supplies (deodorant and body lotion). Living out in the sticks makes even driving to Dollar General a bit more of an adventure than just going around the block. It was about a 10 mile drive. The car ran better than it has since I bought it a year and a half ago. I think the fuel filter had been causing a bit of a problem for a couple of months.now. When I began to notice the fuel filter becoming more of an issue I put in a can of sea foam, and maybe that has also helped to clean the injectors.

·
Registered
1984 280sl 5spd, 02 E320 4matic, 79&79 450sl part-out, 78,79,81,83 300CD, 79 280CE
1,362 Posts
The R107 has been sleeping since Sept, but took the 76 C107 to town to fill with non-ethenol gas. Really did not get the 280SL out much this year. Less than 3 tanks of gas ran through it. Did put a couple thousand miles on the 76 ROW 450SLC, quite impressed with the SLC, completely different feel than the 280SL. Spent the last 4 months building a 46x78 building. Starting a salt water shrimp farm, now have over 22k shrimp in the tanks, hopefully next year I will have the time/money to restore one of the SLC's

·
Registered
1988 560SL, 1969 280SL(113)
114 Posts
The R107 has been sleeping since Sept, but took the 76 C107 to town to fill with non-ethenol gas. Really did not get the 280SL out much this year. Less than 3 tanks of gas ran through it. Did put a couple thousand miles on the 76 ROW 450SLC, quite impressed with the SLC, completely different feel than the 280SL. Spent the last 4 months building a 46x78 building. Starting a salt water shrimp farm, now have over 22k shrimp in the tanks, hopefully next year I will have the time/money to restore one of the SLC's View attachment 2612036 View attachment 2612037 View attachment 2612038 View attachment 2612039 View attachment 2612040
Interesting business bigsky! What is your water source there? The area looks pretty arid in the pics.

The shots of your C107 are great with the mountains and clouds! Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
1987 560 SL, 1990 300E 4Matic
435 Posts
Nice pics Neelyrc, and bigsky. bigsky, 22k is a lot of shrimp. They'd love you in New Orleans. Best of luck with your new venture!
Neelyrc, welcome back home. Glad you got your 107 out for some top down driving. There's nothing like it. I'll be out again next chance I get. Cold doesn't bother me, but the 107 will go into winter hibernation with the first snow forecast.

1821 - 1840 of 1857 Posts