Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
99 CLK 320
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The mighty "E" developed a small misfire problem present at idle and under acceleration. Not really bad, but bad enough that a 23 year old female (daughter) noticed it. I'm determined to fix it.

I searched the forums and there are quite a few posts about what "codes" it threw for members with similar misfire problems. There's also lots of advice about the OVP and vacuum leaks. And I certainly will go down that rabbit hole.

Anyway, back to the code reader...

So I search this forum and several others and come across a home made code reader. Ebay has a couple different versions from $31 to $49 plus shipping. I found a schematic of the code reader and thought I'd try to build one. It doesn't look difficult and for the price of a switch, LED, three banana plugs and some wire, maybe a bit of solder and some heat-shrink, I could probably build one for close to $20. Might be fun...might not. I'd have to buy a soldering gun for ~$10, so now I'm close to the price of buying the poor-boy version from Ebay.

Question for the forum; have you built this code reader? What gauge wire did you use? What kind of connectors did you use?

Driving a 1993 300E M104 2.8L

·
Registered
'91 C124 300CE, '06 W164 ML500, '00 BMW MCOUPE, '65 COBRA REPL.
547 Posts
I built one and it was about the easiest thing I have done.
Make sure you get the exact same part # recommended.
The bulb most importantly.
The wiring does not really matter. The current that goes through those wires is minimal.
18 as mentioned above is fine, or whatever you have.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts