Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hmmmm. I'v been all over the web looking for replacement pistons, in my case a 450SL, and have found virtually nothing. I'm not even sure what they are, Kobelschmidt or Mahale?
And haven't even tried to locate oversize..!! Where do you find these rare pieces, I thought I'd like to find a motor and stand and spend the winter rebuilding one for my 450SL. The more I look for things, the more I think that a Mopar 318/904 might be the way to go, I mean seriously, where do these guys hide these parts, in Hitler's bunker? Certainly there must be a non-dealer source for all the engine internals? You can find rings, and topics in articles or forums where they have knurled the pistons, but that seems hokey for all but the cheapest repair, and not acceptable for a rebuild at all. I realize these are becoming rare parts, and for those who have really used their SL's and had the drive-trains rebuilt, we are all late in the game for easily finding parts inventory. But dang, I'd like to be able to start with a fresh motor at some point in time, not move on to something else and off the SL. Well this shows my ignorance of topic, but I'm learning where and what pretty fast, I just really draw zero's in search or on the web.:confused::confused::dunno:

·
Premium Member
9,692 Posts
Custom made pistons are readily available and usually cost less than you could by new ones from the dealer. Do a search on custom made piston. You will find many suppliers some which have probably made sets for the 450 or others that will only require you to send in one of your old pistons. You will also have the option of putting in newer technology features that may not have been available in the 70's. Sorry I don't have any recent names of the people Ive used in the past as I haven't done this in 25 years but they are still out there.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea with the size and pin heigth one could find a comperable forged piston or :)

·
Registered
422 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, well JE looks like the place to go for the pistons, I looked up their site, and thought the listings there were for other MBZ motors, contacting them would likely be friutfull for the 107 motor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts