Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
'87--190E 2.3-16v(being rebuilt), '99--C230 Kompressor
3,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so after a long life of 203k miles the headgasket finally went, it's not "bad" at the moment, i have to fill about 1/2 a gallon of antifreeze every 3 weeks or so. just a slight smell of antifreeze in the exhaust, it hasn't mixed with the oil either. this car has been a life saver quite literally, my mechanic said that the he honestly wouldn't touch it because of the frail wiring harness, and for him it would cost upwards of 3k in parts and labor. online has a new harness priced at $350, which IMO is overpriced. i'm looking into making my own harness, i've been doing wiring for cars, jets, helicopters for 20+ years so i have all the tools, and i can get quality insulated wire, it's just trying to compile a complete list of all the connectors that i'd need. does anyone have a list like this?

·
Registered
1995 C280 (165K mi)
1,582 Posts
I think most just reuse the connectors. I have not seen a list. I believe you can buy the connectors from MB as most if not all have a part number. Many connectors can be safely resolered/reused. The person who may be able to help is a member who used to do this for us on here. His handle was doin12volt. See if you can contact him if you haven't. I think he may be retired from this site though :cry:

·
Registered
1995 C220
2,784 Posts
MBW202 is right, the few connectors that I have had to swap to another harness, were easily removed and resoldered. On a side note, I was thinking $350 was a steal for a new harness, have you priced one from Mercedes? I am still recovering from the sticker shock on that one, I think my cost was about $800 and that is with a wholesale discount.

·
Registered
'87--190E 2.3-16v(being rebuilt), '99--C230 Kompressor
3,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
With the age of the car and the deterioration of the plastics as much as I'd love to keep this running for the long term it's just not feasible. The rust is another issue I'm contending with, this 99 has 10x more rust that my 87 16v which has almost none.. so the plan is to yank the engine, rebuild it and the harness and swap that into my 16v so I can daily it hence the line of thought of rebuilding the wiring myself.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts