Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats going on everyone,
I just wanted to share an idea with my new friends here on Benzworld regarding the infamous :bowdown:pre-Merger AMG upgrades. A John Doe can take a bone stock w126, put the AMG goodies on their car such as lowering springs, oz wheels, momo steering wheel,recaro c, etc..., and not one person will know except the owner. This owner can then say to the judge at the car show: "I got this ultra rare AMG from a wealthy lawyer, who bought the car with all the goodies on it already." Well if you find yourself saying true, but how does this help me, then just listen. We who have added countless AMG upgrades to our cars will eventually be the owners of a car parked next to a 600 grosser at the Pebble Beach Concours d' Elegance, and we got off cheap spending 10-20 thousand in upgrades on a basic w126. I would love to hear what you guys think.:thumbsup:
Regards
Der Bomber

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I think anyone can create a replica.

A few years ago on the Corvette forum we were talking about people who take the 'regular' Corvette C6 and then modify it to look/perform like a Z06 with genuine Z06 parts such as brakes, wheels, suspension, mainly everything except the engine and transmission. Some of guys there even badge their cars as Z06 after all the work has been done. Same thing goes for the people there who more recently started turning their cars into ZR1s and then badging their cars as ZR1s.

I have seen so many pre merger Mercedes vehicles with the AMG badges over the years that I am getting disgusted. A lot of them have the AMG wheels, body kit, and exhaust system and a host of other AMG bits and pieces but without the genuine AMG documentation it's just another modded Mercedes that does not deserve the AMG moniker... And there are MANY MANY of these 'AMG' badged cars out there, frankly it's hard to spot a fake sometimes... The good thing is a lot of them have period incorrect AMG badges so it's easy to spot most fakes. The ones that do have period correct AMG badges have lost all credibility because there are SOOO many people who slap those badges on their supposed 'real' AMG cars.

AMG documentation is what separates the posers from the real AMG cars. I think it's okay to make a car look like an AMG but when you put the AMG badge on you've lost credibility. Many people are into the whole badge engineering after they do a few mods so I suppose there's not much that can be done about it.

As I said earlier some of these 'poser' cars look great! For example a C6 Z06 replica I saw looked spot on to the real deal Z06. It had all the Z06 body panels, brakes, wheels, suspension, exhaust and even a dry sump system! This was all in a 'regular' C6 Corvette. The owner badged it as a Z06 and lost all credibility. He put that on there so most people out there would think it's a real Z06. Without realizing it he falls into the category of the schmuck who buys a fake rolex watch, fake armani suit, and fake designer clothing...

·
Banned
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello Friend,
I believe there is alot of truth in what you said. It is great to make metal look look like gold, but dont call it gold. I love the w140 you have there.Once I had my 560sel for about a year and a half, I discovered a 1992 600sel with oz amg rims on it around the corner.Sadly the car is in terrible mechanical condition and needs thousands to bring it back, and I am 17. Even though its a 1992, having the most bugs, it still looks grand being black on black screaming out SAVE ME!
Take Care
Der Bomber:baby bottle:

·
Registered
8,006 Posts
There are a few true AMG's that have been rescued by enthusiast's hands, but do not have the papers, lost somewhere in the riddle. Doesn't make them any less AMG, though, harder to prove provenance.

·
Registered
467 Posts
There are a few true AMG's that have been rescued by enthusiast's hands, but do not have the papers, lost somewhere in the riddle. Doesn't make them any less AMG, though, harder to prove provenance.
Considering the difference in operations of pre merger subcontracting and current post merger factory builds, I think homebrew AMGs are perfectly fine. In a lot of cases, especially on here, our AMG "replicas" present better craftsmanship than a no name authorized dealer. Of course, papers demand a premium, but enthusiasts like us are mostly A-OK with buying a well done replication.

·
Registered
8,457 Posts
That's a reasonable interpretation but it's not how the collector car world works ,

A premerger amg is much like a yenko camaro or Saleen mustang . They were either originally built by the dealer /modifier or they were homebuilt with real or replica parts . The replicas have little premium over a stock car, while the original does command a premium

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
That's a reasonable interpretation but it's not how the collector car world works ,

A premerger amg is much like a yenko camaro or Saleen mustang . They were either originally built by the dealer /modifier or they were homebuilt with real or replica parts . The replicas have little premium over a stock car, while the original does command a premium
Yup, watched as much w/ my father & Austin Healey's... You can make yourself a 100S all day long if you like, but if it's not factory you're Never going to see the $$$.

I feel fortunate that even though the paperwork on my pre-merger cars has gone the way of the Dodo, the guys that were There have a very keen recollection of the car/work done:)

Jonathan

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Interesting topic. What if you found a 500SEC ECE AMG with documentation but in so-so shape and then you find a basic W126 560 SEC but in prefect shape for 1/2 the price? Maybe it's cheaper to buy the basic SEC and mod it to look and ride like a real AMG...it would be cheaper I think.

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
Hmm, since I am a big fan of AMG, I'll chime in.
I recall seeing a thread and supporting evidence that if you purchased three (3) AMG bits, you were eligible to buy a badge. From AMG.
So if someone had a body kit, steering wheel and floor mats, it could be considered eligible for an AMG badge.
But the documentation is going to be what sets the cars apart.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Hello Friend,
I believe there is alot of truth in what you said. It is great to make metal look look like gold, but dont call it gold. I love the w140 you have there.Once I had my 560sel for about a year and a half, I discovered a 1992 600sel with oz amg rims on it around the corner.Sadly the car is in terrible mechanical condition and needs thousands to bring it back, and I am 17. Even though its a 1992, having the most bugs, it still looks grand being black on black screaming out SAVE ME!
Take Care
Der Bomber:baby bottle:
I joined the forums when I was 17 too, I was a huge noob... for example I called something a bosching, I didn't know what a bushing was. lol. I had a 420SEL and this forum helped me learn a lot about it. Over the years I abandoned Mercedes and went financing other car models the main ones being: the Lexus LS, porsche boxster and corvette C6 but over the years I found myself being drawn back to the three pointed star.

I really do like the AMG look on the W126. It makes them look so much more modern and 'intimidating'. Some people say as long as you have at least three AMG parts you may badge your car as an AMG but IMO only the AMG engine warrants the badge. Here's another example: If you drive a 380SEL but you throw in a updated 560SEL interior (steering wheel, interior, wheels, updated lower panels, etc...) it still doesn't warrant the 560SEL badge. If you did an engine swap it would be okay I suppose but it still truly isn't a '560SEL'. That's just another example and my point of view on badging.

Thanks for the compliment! 040 black is one of my favorite Mercedes paint schemes. W140s are truly great cars IF (and only if) they have been taken care of. Same goes with a W126 but the W140 requires a lot more attention. Unfortunately a lot of the W140s you'll find for sale nowadays are horribly abused mechanically and electrically (especially the 600s). Never buy a W140 based on how it looks alone. I made that mistake a few years ago... Just recently a couple months ago I went to a different state to look at a grey euro 1993 600SEL with the rare four place seating and staggered 19" AMG monoblocks, the dealership said the car was perfect (and it did look great in the pictures). When I went to see it in person it was a complete disaster.. It needed at least $15-20k worth of engine, transmission, and electrical work. Absolutely nothing on that car worked normally! It was only running on 6 cylinders for crying out loud. He was asking $7k for it.

Although I own a W140 I'm still a huge W126 enthusiast. I would like to one day own a black 560SEC (if the right one pops at the the right time and place) The W126 coupe is one of my favorite Mercedes designs of all time along with the W140 sedan. (especially if they are both 040 black) :thumbsup:

·
SuperModerator
13,279 Posts
Yeah i dont mind people creating a replica, thats cool. Absolutely hate everyone slapping AMG badges on every mediocre Merc. I saw a standard C180 with several AMG badges the other day. Yuk, horrible. And i know someone who bought a new 300SL this year. Lovely car. But recently i noticed he'd popped an AMG badge on the bootlid. Nooo!

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
What do you all think about a genuine AMG license plate frame for use on a non AMG car? Does it come across as poser? I used to use an AMG license plate frame on my old S420. I bought it because I was a fan of AMG cars but now that I think about it I may have come across as a 'poser' since I used it on a non AMG car. :surrender:

·
Registered
8,457 Posts
Do what you like and screw what anyone else thinks .

The only time it matters what someone else thinks is at resale time. A replica or homebrew AMG will command very little to no premium. Just look at russo amazing red widebody replica sold for $10,000. If that were a real amg. Car in that condition it would have been a $20-25k car

·
Registered
8,457 Posts
Interesting topic. What if you found a 500SEC ECE AMG with documentation but in so-so shape and then you find a basic W126 560 SEC but in prefect shape for 1/2 the price? Maybe it's cheaper to buy the basic SEC and mod it to look and ride like a real AMG...it would be cheaper I think.
Yes it is often much cheaper to start with a stock mb and replicate the amg look, which is fine for your personal
Enjoyment , just don't expect to get the resale premium
Of a real amg

·
Premium Member
6,225 Posts
The subject has been flogged to death in numerous threads.

Here's just one of the many:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w126-s-se-sec-sel-sd/1495747-what-makes-true-amg-disc-w-2.html#post3938826

I'd suspect the "outside" was referencing external modifications such as a body kit and wheels and I wouldn't conclude that the badge itself was considered one of the items...The badge is like the happy face :) the teacher drew on the chalkboard after someone won the spelling bee.

There are several tiers IMO to a collector/investment AMG but all closely related and in this order.

1. AMG Germany with papers
2. AMG Germany w/o papers
3. AMG authorized dealer/installer with papers
4. AMG authorized dealer/installer w/o papers
5. a vehicle with authentic AMG pieces assembled with equal or greater craftsmanship to that available from said authorized dealers.
and just to add to the above, it was BHMA that offered the 3 bits for a badge incentive, not a company wide standard.

You can also add another level to the above,
6. a "tirbute" or "replica" or "clone" or "a put together"

BUT Badge or no badge, IMO the true essence to a pre-merger AMG equipped vehicle is in the driving experience provided by the accumulation of a series of AMG engineered pieces.
If you're in this for $.... it's not them time nor the marque...at least for now. :)

Genuine Dodge Truck with a replica pre-merger AMG badge. Unfortunately not period correct as the truck is a '97. :Smoker:

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
To me, hunting down and acquiring bonified AMG pieces is fun, and borderline addiction.

Having completely rebuilt my engine with replica AMG bits (thank you 48HP), and having a full original AMG bodykit installed obviously does not make it a "true" or "pedigreed" AMG car. Having said that I think I have way more "right" to stick a period correct AMG badge on it than run of the mill C180 with a stupid badge. I bet he has no clue what really the history is, or meaning behind AMG anyway.

I also think a clone is fine as long as it is period correct, and the owner does not try to pose or pass it on as a real AMG car. I am also really put down seeing W126s with the ///AMG badges.

While my car is not a real AMG, and not worth nearly as much as a real one, it sure makes me feel more at ease having it a as a daily driver.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts