Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

281 - 300 of 378 Posts

·
Registered
62,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #283
'I realized that had no time for any other option: 'A biker in Moscow Region has posted a video online showing his efforts to prevent an apparent suicide attempt. He can be seen talking a man out of jumping from a bridge onto the highway below, as he stops oncoming traffic.
"C'mon, c'mon, don't jump. Let's go, I'll give you a ride, let's go."

·
Registered
Vogon constructor fleet.
9,224 Posts
Okay....cue the waterworks again.

I'm SUCH a wuss about stuff like this.

Sometimes, sports can be absolutely perfect.

Friday night, senior running back Sepp Shirey lined up in the backfield for Atlee (Va.) High School. Shirey was born with cerebral palsy, and this game against rival Varina would be Shirey’s last chance to step onto the field in front of his home crowd, his last chance to show what he had.

On the first snap, Shirey took the handoff but tripped in the backfield. Hoisted up by his teammates, he lined up again, took the snap, and broke through the line with a precision that would make Walter Payton proud. Shirey ran 80 yards, an open field in front of him, and collapsed into the end zone, surrounded by teammates and the delirious cheers of fans. Shirey has been playing football since he was a kid, and Friday night was one more example of how he doesn’t let his physical condition define him.

Every second of his run is perfect, from Shirey’s determined stride to the applause from the Varina defenders. The touchdown didn’t have any real effect on the final score—Varina won 63-21—but the memory of the moment will last a lifetime for everyone at the game.

Congrats to both teams for some outstanding sportsmanship, and congrats to Sepp Shirey, who averaged a Hall of Fame-worthy 40 yards per carry.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=63&v=kHKtpn6lMsc

Let's hope this is a trend. Bravo, gentlemen!

·
Registered
Vogon constructor fleet.
9,224 Posts
That's so heartwarming.

My beloved late uncle was born with Down's Syndrome and, because of him, I always tear up when I see these kinds of things. We (my cousins and I) included "Budgie" in everything we did and never made him feel that he was in any way "different" from the rest of the kids. Also, the easiest way on Earth to get yourself "checked down" was to call him "retarded." We never used that word and I still cringe when others do so. Children with disabilities still have their dignity and I for one will do whatever I can to see to it they maintain it.

When I see videos like this, I immediately get a lump in my throat and a tear in my eye. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
62,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #292

Perth Zoo is celebrating the birth of the first Binturong cubs in the Zoo’s 119-year history.

Two cubs, a male and a female, were born September 6 to mother, Selasa, and father, Rabu. The parents arrived at the Zoo from Singapore Zoological Gardens, in 2016, to establish a Perth Zoo Binturong family.

Perth Zoo Keeper, Marty Boland, said, “It’s very exciting to welcome two rare Binturong cubs, less than 12 months after their parent’s arrival in Australia.”

“Binturongs are capable of delaying their pregnancy after mating until they feel the environmental conditions are favourable. So, it’s great to see that Selasa is feeling secure and content here in WA!”

“She is a first time Mum, but has been lovingly tending to her offspring in the nest box and also allowing us to photograph the cubs’ progression. She’s even trusted us to handle her cubs to quickly weigh them.”

“They tip the scales just over one kilogram, a good weight for Binturong infants,” said Marty.

The new arrivals recently opened their eyes, and they are beginning to take in the world around them. Zoo Keepers expect they will start exploring their exhibit in coming weeks and become more visible to the public.

Marty continued, “Visitors who are unsure of where to catch a glimpse of the Binturong family may smell them first. They are famous for their strong odor, which is often likened to popcorn!”

The Binturong (Arctictis binturong), also known as a Bearcat, is a viverrid that is native to South and Southeast Asia.

Binturongs are omnivorous, feeding on small mammals, birds, fish, earthworms, insects and fruits.

The estrous period of the Binturong is 81 days, with a gestation of 91 days. The average age of sexual maturation is 30.4 months for females and 27.7 months for males. The Binturong is one of approximately 100 species of mammal believed by many experts to be capable of embryonic diapause, or delayed implantation, which allows the female of the species to time parturition to coincide with favorable environmental conditions. Typical litters consist of two offspring, but up to six may occur.

It is uncommon in much of its range, and has been assessed and classified as “Vulnerable” on the IUCN Red List due to a declining population trend that is estimated at more than 30% over the last three decades. The main threat to the species is severe destruction of habitats in their native parts of the world.

Those wanting to help save Binturong from extinction are encouraged to “adopt” one of Perth Zoo’s cubs. Zoo adoption packages ensure more funds are poured into giving wildlife a chance of survival. More information can be found at: www.perthzoo.com.au

·
Registered
62,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #293
A school sought 50 men to stand in for absent fathers at 'Breakfast with Dads' — nearly 600 showed up

Something somewhat extraordinary happened last month at Billy Earl Dade Middle School in Dallas.

The school — with a student population of nearly 900, about 90 percent from low-income families — planned to host its first “Breakfast with Dads,” according to the Dallas Morning News. About 150 male students, ages 11 to 13, signed up. But event organizers were concerned that some would attend without a male figure at their side, so they put out a call for volunteers who could serve as mentors.

“When a young person sees someone other than their teacher take interest in them, it inspires them. That’s what we want to see happen,” the Rev. Donald Parish Jr., pastor of True Lee Missionary Baptist Church and the event organizer, told the Morning News.

A call for volunteers by children’s advocate Kristina Chäadé Dove‏ — who has served on what is called a Site-based decision-making team for the middle school — was published on social media in early December:

When the day came for the event, nearly 600 men showed up to help and mentor the boys, some of them volunteering for the first time.

Stephanie Drenka, a Dallas photographer and blogger who works with Dove at Big Thought, a nonprofit organization that works with partners across the city to provide creative learning programs for young people, chronicled the event here in words and photos. She wrote:

Back in December, the team ran into some difficulty when planning their annual “Breakfast with Dads” event. Dade’s community liaison Ellyn Favors mentioned that student participation was low due to young men not having a father/father-figure available to attend the event. Kristina decided to post a call for volunteers on Facebook in the hope of finding 50 male mentors to accompany the middle schoolers…

The unexpected influx of interest led the team to move the event from the cafeteria into the gymnasium so they could house more guests. Kristina engaged the community again in getting volunteers to help with setup and check-in. Team members from Big Thought, the Office of Cultural Affairs, and even Kristina’s personal friends showed up alongside the male mentors to make the event possible…

I will never forget witnessing the young students surrounded by supportive community members. There were so many volunteers, that at times I saw young men huddled in the center of 4-5 mentors. The look of awe- even disbelief- in students’ eyes as they made their way through the crowd of “Dads” was astonishing.

Jamil “The Tie Man” Tucker led the auditorium in a hands-on icebreaker activity. He spoke of learning how to tie a tie as a rite of passage some young men never experience. Mentors handed out ties to the eager students and helped them perfect their half-Windsor knot.

The sight of a necktie may forever bring a tear to my eye.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/good-news/a-school-sought-50-men-to-stand-in-for-absent-fathers-at-breakfast-with-dads-—-nearly-600-showed-up/ar-BBHWqWN?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp

https://stephaniedrenka.com/stories-kristina-dove/

·
Forum Administrator , RC Colas® & Moon Pies®
1981 380SL 151K: 2005 S500 116K
39,185 Posts
The Four-In-Hand would have been a better choice. It's doubtful that many of the boys will remember how to tie a Half Windsor.

·
Moderately subtle
94 E500, 97 500SL
12,108 Posts
Waffle House waitress receives $16K scholarship after act of kindness goes viral - WLOX.com - The News for South Mississippi

LA MARQUE, TX (KTRK/CNN) - A Waffle House waitress whose act of kindness was captured on video was honored in a big way.

It was just another day for 18-year-old Evoni Williams as she worked at the restaurant in La Marque, TX.

She’d been working at the restaurant since graduating from high school to save up for college.

“That's me all the time giving, helping, serving,” Williams said.

But on Feb. 3 what Williams did for an elderly customer was captured in a photo that went viral.

Williams assisted Adrian Charpentier who was unable to cut a portion of his breakfast.

"I had no coordination feeling or strength in my hands," he said.

Williams was asked to assist Charpentier and while she was busy, didn’t hesitate to help.

“I was never raised to bash people,” she said. “I was raised to help and try to give, give blessings"

And now the blessings are coming her way.

Williams and her mother were brought to tears when she was presented with a $16,000 scholarship to Texas Southern University.

She was also honored by the town mayor who presented a proclamation to honor Williams.

"I have my own day," she said smiling. "I'm happy."

Copyright 2018 KTRK via CNN. All rights reserved.

·
Registered
62,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #297

If there was ever a controversial issue in the fashion industry, the use of fur would be it.

So divisive is it, during the most recent AW18 fashion month, not seeing fur protesters demonstrating outside various showspaces was deemed unusual.

At Mary Katrantzou's London Fashion Week show, for instance, one protester managed to crash the catwalk. Indeed, earlier in the year, Kendall Jenner came under fire during Milan Fashion Week Men's for wearing a huge fur coat on the Dsquared2 runway.

The pressure to ditch fur is real; something retailers and designers are unlikely to be able to ignore for much longer.

In view of which, many luxe labels are now embracing a fur-free existence with such brands as Gucci, Michael Kors and Jimmy Choo all announcing last year they were removing fur from their future collections.

In doing so, they joined the ever-growing list of designers who advocate a fur-free future, including Tommy Hilfiger, Clavin Klein, Ralph Lauren, Giorgio Armani and Hugo Boss.

Now Versace is the latest luxury fashion house to announce that they too are ceasing to use fur in their clothes.

Speaking to The Economists's 1834 magazine, creative director of the brand Donatella Versace exclaimed "fur? I am out of that."

Before continuing "I don’t want to kill animals to make fashion. It doesn’t feel right."

·
Immoderately Caffeinated/ Vintage Moderator
T5
16,448 Posts
This is the amazing moment a horse encountered a few dolphins whilst going for a swim on a beach in South Australia.

The footage, captured by the racehorse trainer, shows three dolphins swimming just a few inches from the horse as it trots in shallow waters. The playful dolphins can be seen darting in and out of the water as if they were encouraging the horse to join them. ‘’The Newest Equine Training System, we take our young horses out swimming with dolphins. ‘’This particular horse Breeze is a dolphin magnet. As he swims he groans and seems to consistently attract our beautiful dolphin friends to come and play with us. ‘’Occasionally the animals play together slashing and dancing, most of the time we are all just amazed by each others company. ‘’He is only a young horse but the dolphins have chosen correctly this time, his trainer Lara Beth believes he is that magic one in a million horse who will one day change the world.’’ The clip was filmed in December 2017.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/video/animals/horse-goes-swimming-with-dolphins-in-australia/vi-BBKfg4i?ocid=spartandhp

·
Registered
62,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #299
An unnamed Texas donor has promised $9 million to Planned Parenthood of Greater Texas to help construct two new health centers in West Texas within the next year, the nonprofit confirmed this week. The group has not said whether the new clinics would be abortion providers.

Planned Parenthood has had no clinics to offer abortion or other services in the region since 2013, shortly after Texas passed a law placing tough restrictions on groups that perform abortions.

The laws were eventually struck down by the U.S. Supreme Court. But advocates say the damage had already been done as many clinics did not reopen.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/health-care/2018/03/28/planned-parenthood-receives9-million-gift-open-new-clinics-west-texas

281 - 300 of 378 Posts