Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2004 G500 (gone)
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My post didn't show up on the other board, so here it is.

I find my G500 exceptionally stylish. I get honks, waves and looks of wonder. Occassionally though, someone mistakes it for an old Isuzu Trooper. I was saying that sometimes Escalade buyer's don't appreciate how stylish the G is. To them it looks like a bus and is outdated.

I really love how unique the G is. There are too many H2's out there that no one really bothers to be impressed by them. If Mercedes can find a way to get their act together, make all the numbers work they could be sitting on a cash cow.

But the way they are abusing the G with unfair ordering practices, illiterate marketing and selling will only continue to lead them into massive amounts of loss. [:(]

·
Registered
2004 MB G500 Black
1,175 Posts
Do G-wagen sell well overseas?? How do G-wagens compare to Land Cruiser or Range Rover in Europe or Middle East??

If G's don't do well in other parts of the world, then why are we blaming MBUSA solely?? I sincerely believe that the G's time has passed. It will make a return years down the road as a classic. But, with what "normal, general public" expects out of their SUV (aka minivan), the G is simply not providing enough of.

The argument with Jeep Wrangler is also getting weaker with every passing year. Jeep Wrangler will be redesigned to ordinary SUV specs in a few years (2007??) due to government safety regulations worldwide. Why did Jeep get rid of Cherokee a few years ago?? It was not made to what the public want. So, the Jeep Liberty was produced.

The days of classic SUVs (form over function, rough & tough, etc.) are numbered...the G is just a byproduct of this revolution.

·
Registered
2013 G 63 AMG
327 Posts
G-wagen sales here in the UAE are at their peak from what I can see. I see at least one or two G55 Kompressors on the road every day, and I believe they are selling quite a few G500's as well. The G-Class is a favorite among the royal family of Dubai as well. This is despite the price being sky-high because of the strong Euro.

·
Registered
2004 G500 (gone)
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jimmy

Jimmy - 4/10/2005 8:24 AM

The G-Class is a favorite among the royal family of Dubai as well. This is despite the price being sky-high because of the strong Euro.
Don't they own some of the company? Perhaps they can be persuaded to purchase the entire company and keep production moving.

Or perhaps we can find a new, different vehicle to love. [:D]

·
Registered
280 GE / 1980
458 Posts
saigonsmuggler - 4/10/2005 8:09 AM

Do G-wagen sell well overseas?? How do G-wagens compare to Land Cruiser or Range Rover in Europe or Middle East??

If G's don't do well in other parts of the world, then why are we blaming MBUSA solely?? I sincerely believe that the G's time has passed. It will make a return years down the road as a classic. But, with what "normal, general public" expects out of their SUV (aka minivan), the G is simply not providing enough of.

The argument with Jeep Wrangler is also getting weaker with every passing year. Jeep Wrangler will be redesigned to ordinary SUV specs in a few years (2007??) due to government safety regulations worldwide. Why did Jeep get rid of Cherokee a few years ago?? It was not made to what the public want. So, the Jeep Liberty was produced.

The days of classic SUVs (form over function, rough & tough, etc.) are numbered...the G is just a byproduct of this revolution.
Here in Nigeria G wagon are popular I can count allot of them on the road most ofthem are G 500 .

But if it doesn't sell well in other parts of the world it is maybe due to the poor marketing & advertising share the G is GettinG .

ReG ,

Shebl

·
Registered
'91 G300D SWB Manual, '99 ML320 7 seater
827 Posts
They sell extremely well in Europe. In the UK (which, as everybody knows, is not Europe but an independent entity) the sale of the G-Wagen was oficially discontinued in 1996, but hey, now that they've learnt that any self-deserving rapper has one in the US of A everybody suddenly wants one.

·
Registered
02 G500
2,254 Posts
i always get a few different reactions

1) no one even not look at it

2) "i have never seen a jeep like that"

3) also get the people at the red lights that stare, you can always read there lips What the F is that, as that point it out to there passangers...

then about 3 weeks ago a girl at the gas station said " i like you jeep and eclips, does it have a body kit"?

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts
it's a cutie alright!

I just had a real cutie (nice blond curls) spend like 15 minutes telling me how cute it was yesterday.... "kinda like a jeep but so much cuter!". It was almost embarrassing... almost. I noticed her boyfriend nudging her as they finally walked away (he liked it too)... because she was so excited about it you'd a thought i could have taken her home in it.

It love owning this thing.

·
Registered
2004 G500 (gone)
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: it's a cutie alright!

ewalberg - 4/14/2005 7:57 PM

I just had a real cutie (nice blond curls) spend like 15 minutes telling me how cute it was yesterday.... she was so excited about it you'd a thought i could have taken her home in it.
I'm betting you could have taken her and several of her friends home - you certainly have the seating capacity. [;)]

My guess is she wasn't really interested in the car as much as she was probably interested in you Ewalberg...

A different story for her boyfriend though, I'm sure. [:D] [:D] [:D]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts