Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although only the SL500 and SL55 AMG models have been released, more models are on the way, including the SL600.<br>
<br>
The former SL280 has been cancelled (was never available in US and Canada). The SL320, thought to be the new base model to be introduced next year, will be shelved in favor of a new V-6 engine.<br>
<br>
The car is called the SL350, and comes with a 3.5 Liter V-6 engine, producing 245 hp. Expected pricing should be equivalent of around $66,000. <br>
<br>
The SL350 will come equipped with many of the features of the SL500, although some may be optional.<br>
<br>
In order to keep with its sporting roots, the SL350 will most likely be the only SL model sold with an available manual transmission, for enthusiasts.<br>
<br>
It is unknown if the SL350 will be sold in US and Canada, but there is some possibility that it may come out for model year 2004, since the car will debut in Europe in late 2003.<br>
<br>
Regardless of whether the SL350 makes it to the US, its 3.5 Liter V-6 (245 hp) will likely find applications in a variety of other Mercedes-Benz models very soon, from the E-Class to the S-Class.<br>
<br>
What do you all think? Should the SL350 be offered in the US and Canada?<br>
<br>
<br>
Jason

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I dont think that it should be brought here or even made at all. The sl should stay the super exclusive car that is (is/was). Do you have anymore info on the top end model I have been hearing about, something about a twin turbo v12, which would probably be the sl600?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SL350 is scheduled early 2003 for europe, it is not clear if it will be presented at the mondial (october 2002, Paris, France). <br> <br> Other infos... <br> <br> SL500 will disappear by the end of 2002 or mid 2003, this V8 is not anymore able to fit the new pollution emission restriction in futur. That reason why they did push it in the new E-Class, they put rentability on the last engine built. <br> <br> The new gamus should be : <br> SL350 with a brand new V6, the number of HP should be around 265-270 HP (for the SL, possibly 245-250 for E-class)<br> SL550 this is the V8 done by AMG but without the compressor, this one should be around 350-370 HP<br> SL55 AMG will remain with the 476 HP<br> SL600 (V12) will be introduced, normally with a power of around 400-420 HP<br> <br> Like this you have a full range of power and level of finition, but I would like to remain you the level of finition on this car is already a top range level, and there is already very few differences between the SL500 and the SL55 AMG. And it will be the same for the other members of the gamus.<br> All the above information are from discussion with people from Carlsson (MB tuner in Europe) which are normally well inform on what's going on at MB, but if you got other infos, I will be happy to know. <br> <br> The SL350 will be sold in the US because of competition with the Maserati spyder or Jaguar XK8, even I do consider those cars are not a truly competitor with the SL, they are in term of price if the SL350 is priced arounf $60-65K. <br> <br> <br> <br>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts