Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Mercedes-Benz E320
80 Posts
I live near what is likely one of the wealthiest zip codes and they are absolutely everywhere. A friend's father calls them the Crown Victoria of our area.

·
Registered
1998 E320 (W210)
32 Posts
I just read that same article the other day. I was curious to see the results of the list and figured Mercedes would be mentioned in there. Then I saw there were multiple Mercedes listed, and lastly....the exact model I drive is number one!!! :) hah. Granted I have an older 98 but still, I thought that was pretty cool. I love my E series and judging by all of the research I have been doing since I bought it a month ago, the W210 chassis seems to one of the most popular. Probably because of its classic design etc., etc.

·
Registered
2000 W220 S500 (08/99 build)
173 Posts
I live close to one of the most affluent communities in the Bay Area, and they are also EVERYWHERE!! Quite beautiful cars though.

·
Registered
88 560SL - 01 C240 - 02 W210 4matic Wagon - W212 4matic wagon
1,090 Posts
And the Prius .. surprising how many well to do people own them.

I believe MB still lists those buying new wagons as being the wealthiest buyers.

As they say ... flash = no cash

·
Registered
2002 e320
344 Posts
I want to hang onto my w210 as long as possible. I guess that makes me not rich. But smart....

·
Registered
12 GL450
13,900 Posts
And the Prius .. surprising how many well to do people own them.

I believe MB still lists those buying new wagons as being the wealthiest buyers.

As they say ... flash = no cash
Yup about the Prius. So many wealthy people are driving these. It is not a status symbol, rather, it is "in style" with the rich these days.

·
Registered
12 GL450
13,900 Posts
As far as my W210 is concerned, I'm always sick of it and bored with it when I'm not driving it and am always thinking about selling it. As soon as I get behind the wheel of it, I immediately smile and tell myself, "what the hell were you thinking?" :eek: "It's a great freakin' car!"

It is still the most satisfying to drive. Of my cars, here is my review:

2000 Mercedes E320: All rounder fun to drive. :D:thumbsup::p

2012 Acura TL w/ Technology package: Loaded with so much freakin technology. Nice to drive, but I have more fun playing with the gadgets when its parked in the driveway.:cool:

2002 Lexus LS 430 w/ Ultra Luxury Edition: Comfort, ride and luxury in the truest sense. Best for long distance driving but hate driving it in town. Rear seat massagers and rear seat reclining is fun. So is the refrigerator and the air conditioned and heated seats. It too is loaded with so much technology! I like technology. :thumbsup: Makes me feel like an old person though. :eek:

2002 Chevrolet Suburban: WTF was I thinking buying an American car?! :bash: NEVER AGAIN IN MY LIFETIME! I feel ashamed to even sell it.

2005 Nissan Titan: My beater with only 23k miles. Excellent for home depot shit or towing. I can literally see the gas needle drop driving around in town.

Next car I'll probably experiment with will either be the current C-Class or the Facelift W211.

·
Registered
2002 E430 4-Matic
1,334 Posts
Seems like a random list of some popular pricy cars to me. Most all are "high volume" daily drivers in their class. I bet if you matched income instead of zip code the results would be significantly different. Not one of those cars is a Rich man's status symbol.
Nice as it is, the E Class is probably the most popular "second car" for the rich.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,707 Posts
I live in high income area (being the poorest guy here) and since the area is in the mountains, lot of owners need AWD just to make up their own driveway.
Therefore Jeeps are highly popular.
For some reason Ferrari and Lotus are very rare in San Francisco area, while my brother reports good number of them in Seattle.
Prius is good sample of propaganda overcoming common sense. It was advertised as environmental friendly car before the truth about high cost recycling come out.

·
Registered
2010 R350 Bluetec, 1998 E-320 Wagon
125 Posts
Of my cars, here is my review:

2000 Mercedes E320: All rounder fun to drive. :D:thumbsup::p

2012 Acura TL w/ Technology package: Loaded with so much freakin technology. Nice to drive, but I have more fun playing with the gadgets when its parked in the driveway.:cool:

2002 Lexus LS 430 w/ Ultra Luxury Edition: Comfort, ride and luxury in the truest sense. Best for long distance driving but hate driving it in town. Rear seat massagers and rear seat reclining is fun. So is the refrigerator and the air conditioned and heated seats. It too is loaded with so much technology! I like technology. :thumbsup: Makes me feel like an old person though. :eek:

2002 Chevrolet Suburban: WTF was I thinking buying an American car?! :bash: NEVER AGAIN IN MY LIFETIME! I feel ashamed to even sell it.

2005 Nissan Titan: My beater with only 23k miles. Excellent for home depot shit or towing. I can literally see the gas needle drop driving around in town.

Next car I'll probably experiment with will either be the current C-Class or the Facelift W211.
Based on your decent collection of rides, :thumbsup: in just exactly how many of those wealthy zip codes do you live? :D

·
Registered
88 560SL - 01 C240 - 02 W210 4matic Wagon - W212 4matic wagon
1,090 Posts
I happen to be one of those Prius owners -- They are a perfect second .. or extra car. We have been shocked at how often it gets used. We purchased it in January of this year and it already has 13k on it ... and it has been to the dealer once ... for the 10k oil change.

The batteries have proven to be so reliable that the recycling problem never really materialized - and the cars just keep getting better ...Surprising car. Great .. get out of the city car.

We regularly get 54 miles per gallon with it. One member of the family regularly gets 60!

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320(217K Miles), 2002 E320 Special Edition(183K Miles)
3,467 Posts
I happen to be one of those Prius owners -- They are a perfect second .. or extra car. We have been shocked at how often it gets used. We purchased it in January of this year and it already has 13k on it ... and it has been to the dealer once ... for the 10k oil change.

The batteries have proven to be so reliable that the recycling problem never really materialized - and the cars just keep getting better ...Surprising car. Great .. get out of the city car.

We regularly get 54 miles per gallon with it. One member of the family regularly gets 60!
I was in Europe and the UK recently. E Class are everywhere ---- as taxis and in diesel. I hardly saw any gassers. We were using a W212 E250 CDI Coupe in the UK. 46MPG in stop-and-start traffic and 64MPG on the open road at about 75 to 80 MPH. I just love the 250CDI engine - I think it will run rings around my E320.
The Prius is not very popular in the UK or Europe, the reason being that they have too heavy a fuel consumption. It is only in the USA where they are seen as having a good fuel consumption, elsewhere small turbo-diesels provides 70 to 80 MPG very easily.

·
Registered
2013 E350/41k, 1997 E320/290k, 1999 FJ100/256k
314 Posts
Can't let sense happen in the good ol USA

I was in Europe and the UK recently. E Class are everywhere ---- as taxis and in diesel. I hardly saw any gassers. We were using a W212 E250 CDI Coupe in the UK. 46MPG in stop-and-start traffic and 64MPG on the open road at about 75 to 80 MPH. I just love the 250CDI engine - I think it will run rings around my E320.
The Prius is not very popular in the UK or Europe, the reason being that they have too heavy a fuel consumption. It is only in the USA where they are seen as having a good fuel consumption, elsewhere small turbo-diesels provides 70 to 80 MPG very easily.
Only in the USA where we get stuck with dumb laws that keep us wasting money on gas and wars. I'll be glad when electrics are the majority. I envision a time when I am old and wiggly my grandkids will see pictures of me working on the W210 and ask "what are all those tubes and wires and why are you so dirty grandpa?"

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
I'll be glad when electrics are the majority.
Well, I for one, hope (and believe) we will never see that day. Unless we want to go back to the old days where nobody ventured any further than 50 miles from where he was born.

·
Registered
99 E430, 01 E430 Sport, 00 SL500
3,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
There's a way to tell the level of rich of an E-class owner by the use of the three buttons on the rear mirror.
Low rich: One button is programmed to open garage door.
Medium rich: Two buttons.
High rich: Three buttons.
Super rich: One button to open the mansion's gate.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
There's a way to tell the level of rich of an E-class owner by the use of the three buttons on the rear mirror.
Low rich: One button is programmed to open garage door.
Medium rich: Two buttons.
High rich: Three buttons.
Super rich: One button to open the mansion's gate.
LOL :big laugh:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts