Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you guys ever wish you had a secondary or beater car to drive when you don't feel like having to worry about your car...someone messing with it, vandalizing it, stealing it, etc etc. Because as nice as it is to have a nice car, sometimes I wish I had a "normal" car just so I wouldn't worry about it so much. And I've done this with all of my cars...especially the Caddy and the 140.

Last night, I was hanging out with some friends, and my friend was telling me that his brother used to hang out with some kids, who for fun, would go out and key and spray paint nice cars...he said BMW's, Audi's, Lexuses, Benzes, etc etc.

I know that instances like this are few and far between, especially in my area, but I still kinda worry about it. It's times like these that I wish I bought a Buick Regal GS or a Pontiac Grand Prix GTP...something that's still a pretty nice car, but wouldn't get a lot of attention from the losers of the world...especially the Regal.

Oh well though, not much I can do about it now...just keep it locked, parked in nice areas and hope for the best. I would like to get a more subtle car though in the future....probably either the GS or GTP.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I don't generally have that feeling... I do however, wish I had an old 190E just to putt around in, if i feel like: saving gas, not caring about door dings, scratches, driving it nice, taking care of it, etc.

Then again its still a Benz, so i'd probably still treat it like one regardless..eh. I suppose it would depend on what condition it was in when I got it.

After owning only Mercedes, and being in other cars, i despise cars built by accountants rather than good engineers, and can point out the smallest details that show the cheapness of the car... i don't think i could handle driving anything less, i'd probably just purposely tear it up for fun. *rips off glove box door*

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Although I dont have a W140 model, I wish mostly I got myself a "winter beater" and not have the Benz driven in cold and snow, although its mildly winter driven meaning if there is snow coming down I'll avoid at all costs to have the car out in that unless I really have to.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Hey! There we go, thats a good idea... actually, I certainly agree... THATS what i'd like to have, a winter beater... as I said, probably a little 190E that's already beaten up, so i could drive that around in the bad weather.

But heck i'm moving back to AZ in a couple years so it's not something i really have to deal with, also the fact that i'll get rid of my car every few years for another one, anyway.

I mostly just don't like looking at my S-Class with salt, snow, and ice all over it... not pretty, makes me feel bad, and a bit embarrassed, especially that i don't even have a garage for it...

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
Do you guys ever wish you had a secondary or beater car to drive when you don't feel like having to worry about your car...someone messing with it, vandalizing it, stealing it, etc etc.
Tell you what, I wish I didn't have to worry about it and I shouldn't have to worry about it but that's life.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just think it'd be fun to have a second car...something to drive when it's crappy out, or in the case of the GTP/GS...something fast, easily modifiable, reasonably luxurious, cheap and reliable.

Or a Classic car...something for the weekends, summer nights. A big vintage Cadillac or Lincoln.

I just really want a 2nd car, but can't have it now...

·
Registered
111 Posts
We have an S500, an SL600 and until today an S320. We mostly drive a nasty old 1999 full size dodge conversion van so we don't get the real toys dirty, wouldn't even think about getting them wet. How's that for sick? :eek:

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
My W140 is my beater car. Mechanically it gets well looked after but I have given up worrying about whether someone dings it, scratches it or hits it.

It is a 500 LWB with 103,000 miles on it and mechanically should last for at least the same but sadly rust has got the better of both front wings. Not a problem really as replacements would cost less than £100 and a respray not that expensive.

I have given up worrying about it though.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Look after it, use it and mend it. Why have something you like and not use it? I've a friend with an RS200 who does 50 miles per year; how can he??

If you can't maintain it, why have it. If owning it is spoilt by worry, why own it?

Each to his own I suppose.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
But on the plus side, it's very rare to find someone that doesn't like or admire our cars, and they are truly objects of desire and lust....atleast when they were new.

For example, when was the last time you saw someone post a video on youtube or Streetfire regarding a W140, and then have someone leave comments about it like "gay, or what a POS, or buy a real car"....I don't think I've ever seen that. But when I had my Cadillac...there were some nasty comments I'd see.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I just recently bought my CLS, but I kept my Ford Expedition.

It has served me well these past 2.5 years (and 50,000+ miles) and is handy for times I don't want to take the M-B. It's not exactly a beater, but it has its uses.

Drove Alfas for a long time. Wore out a 164S and still have my GTV6 (at least temporarily). Great crs and they had the advantage that a lot of folks didn't really know what they were.:D

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
i still get comments on my W140 and nobody belives that its 1992 with 230K kms on the clock....(probably thanks to 600 Grill and clear corners and rims off W220).
Its kinda good but sometimes worries me because with that comes also unwanted attention...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts